Search Unity

Speedtree v8 Support

Discussion in 'World Building' started by JRW_WSP, Jan 25, 2019.

1. JRW_WSP

JRW_WSP

So the 2018.3 roadmap states that SpeedTree 8 models are supported but the one I've just purchased on the SpeedTree site does not appear to work. I'm assuming that none of them work so is this a SpeedTree problem or a Unity one? Do they work and if not why does it state so on the roadmap??

I get the following error message on import:

"SpeedTree file does not contain run-time data. Be sure to re-save it using the Unity-specific version of the SpeedTree Modeler".

Cheers!

ROBYER1 likes this.
  2. mgear

mgear

i tested one speedtree8 modeler exported tree in unity, seemed to work..
    was your purchased tree made with speedtree v8 for unity?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have Speedtree Cinema ver 8.3. Can Unity 2018.3 import models from this version of speedtree?

4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

I don't believe so. You need the Games version or the Unity version. For v8 though it appears that the Games version is not available yet. I am assuming this is because the UE4 implementation of v8 is still in beta

ROBYER1 likes this.
  5. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Which Speedtree v8 suite are you using? Games, Cinema, Unity, etc.

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Quick instructions in case there are still problems:

* register free account at https://www.speedtree.com
    * download the modeler from https://store.speedtree.com/unity/
    * load speedtree models (.spm files) into the modeler
    (hint: the modeler has some free examples included)
    * hit file -> export to unity 3d
    * use the speedtree. there isn't much else to it

You might want to deactivate the hue variations option in the exported speedtree in unity, otherwise it'll be by default a bit orange.

Also, I recommend to export each speedtree into their own folder, not all in a single folder. Some speedtrees (e. g. birch and willow) share the same texture names and then you end up overwriting the textures and of course the textures would be wrong then.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am using SpeedTree Cinema ver.8.3. I have written a request to SpeedTree about getting the SpeedTree for Unity subscription and if that would legally allow me to import trees I make in Cinema into Unity. And if they are compatible with the export script for Unity. It states on their website that SpeedTree for Unity is compatible with Unity 8.3. Will post what they tell me.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2019
    Rowlan likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Here is the reply from SpeedTree:

The $19 dollar subscription will give you access to the games modeler that exports straight into Unity. It can be canceled at any time. It would also let you set Unity wind, LOD and a lightmap for the tree. Your cinema tree is probably a much higher resolution than Unity is capable of loading in so you'll need to lower the polygon count and likely replace the individual leaves with a "cluster".

Rowlan likes this.
  9. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Rowlan likes this.
  10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1