Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let us know a bit about your interests, and if you'd like to become more directly involved. Take our survey!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

SpeedTree Trees Sideways

Discussion in 'World Building' started by lugaruuuu, May 16, 2018.

1. lugaruuuu

lugaruuuu

Hey there, a while ago I bought a copy of SpeedTree Cinema, which as many of you know is quite an expensive product, with the intention of making trees for Unity games. I understand there is a Unity version out there, but I don't particularly like subscription based products, since I never quite feel like I'm getting my money's worth since I don't sit on them 24/7. (Which is mostly why I stopped playing WoW, but off-point) I made 20 variations of a tree, ported them to FBX, put one in the scene view; no problem. However, when I try to use them with both the standard terrain painter and with Gaia, the trees come out sideways? Duping the prefab so I can edit it's properties doesn't work either. I'm at a loss :(

2. Yenwood

Yenwood

Create an empty object as a parent for your tree and change the tree's rotation.

IIRC some 3d modeling programs use a different coordinate system than Unity does which means everything you port to Unity will be sideways. Unity automatically "fixes" it by rotating it correctly when you put them into the scene, but everything else puts it down with no rotation.