Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug SpeedTree LOD regression in Unity 2021.2.0b4

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by Claytonious, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

SpeedTree LOD rendering now exhibits crazy vertical scaling that ruins LOD and makes SpeedTrees unusable in this Unity version. Video demonstration:

I've filed a bug report with a simple repro project attached: 1354004.

Is SpeedTree known to be in bad shape in the beta right now? Is this temporary? Is it a first-class citizen in this release or is some kind of transition happening where it will be "redone" in some way and will be broken for a while?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    laurentlavigne likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @Claytonious,

Thanks for the bug report, we'll look into it. We added SpeedTree 8 support to both URP and HDRP in 21.2 beta, and there might still be bugs that we need to fix.
    Yes it is.

3. Claytonious

Claytonious

Thanks as always for the reply, @LeonhardP. I'm still confused by this, though:

URP seemed to already support SpeedTree 8 in earlier Unity versions. For example in the built-in shaders archive for Unity 2021.1.15 there is this file: DefaultResourcesExtra\Nature\SpeedTree8.shader, which looks like this in the Unity 2021.1.15 editor:

And it seems to work. But was something wrong about it that is now fixed?

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Some further clarification, what's new in URP is ShaderGraph support for SpeedTree 8

From the URP changelog:
    • Added a SpeedTree 8 Shader Graph but did not set it as the default when importing or upgrading Speed Tree 8 assets. Because URP doesn't yet support per-material culling, this Shader Graph does not yet behave in the same way as the existing handwritten SpeedTree 8 shader for URP.

Claytonious, mariandev and Ruchir like this.
  5. big_3

big_3

Hi,

I have the same problem with 2022.2.1f.

How can I fix this?

I cannot find the bug in the issuetracker.

Thanks
    Jus

6. nubbyninja

nubbyninja

2021.3.9f1 encountering same issue with URP / Nature / SpeedTree8 shader.