Search Unity

SpeedTree Joins Unity!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DigitalAdam, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Ryiah

Ryiah

2. Teila

Teila

3. chingwa

chingwa

@Teila Welcome to the jungle.

Teila likes this.
  4. lmbarns

lmbarns

Have you or anyone tried Unity's ArtEngine? It's not free so I haven't bothered looking at it (not paying to learn something when I'm not an artist and wouldn't be using it much) but they did drop the price to $20/mo instead of $100 or whatever. https://unity.com/products/unity-artengine

Like 5+ years ago there was skanect and some others that could make models from scanning objects with a kinect and it was decent at convex stuff with the depth sensor but pretty low resolution being kinect v1.

5. Teila

Teila

Hey there! Long time no see! @chingwa

6. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

You can't say its price drop if its a limited time discount. Its still $333/Month.
    upload_2021-8-11_20-13-5.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Jesus.

I pay 250 a year for maya....

8. chingwa

chingwa

The real money appears to be in selling shovels to prospectors.

Rewaken, JoNax97, zyzyx and 3 others like this.
  9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

yeah that is the impression i get too, especially when i read actual words written by unity all over the internet. Makes me suspicious. Seems like the business plan is whale hunting.

Metron and hopeful like this.
  10. neoshaman

neoshaman

They are in deficit

11. Recon03

Recon03

no idea why they added this junk but it explains why they dropped Substance support and are blocking them from getting proper API support for them to support them selves...... Substance is industry standard..... for most .. .So, this explains why when I seen that trash...

I wouldn't sub to that if it was 10$ a month.... one of these days, Unity will realize that people who make and release games, want to use industry standard tools, not junk like that.

https://unity.com/products/unity-artengine Substance Designer, Painter, Mixer, and even the Old NDO2, was miles ahead of this trash.

Unity has never been smart about supporting good tools, they TRY to make there own, or buy some asset someone else made... This is terrible... I used it once , it was one of the worst programs I had ever used..

hopeful likes this.
  12. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

"For now, nothing will change for SpeedTree or Unity customers."

Except, now with ST9 we have a few versions, one for Learning and a few Paid. Before unity, I was able to export my trees to unity with the free version, which had an "Export Only" option. Now the only way to export .spm files to unity is to use one of the paid versions because they removed this option from the Learning version. Cool stuff o_O

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, it was phrased ambiguously from the start for a reason, and re-reading this thread did warm my frozen heart to see no one was expecting good things from Unity, but at this point I think we can safely pick the correct translation of this phrase, which is probably:

"We're not going to F*** you over... for now".

stain2319 likes this.
  14. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Someone should compile this to a dictionary.
    I need it for reading Unity Blog Posts.

JoNax97 likes this.
  15. sqallpl

sqallpl

There is a section related to SpeedTree and 'Vegetation Pipeline' in the new roadmap video (24:34) where Danny Oakes explains what is happening and what is planned.

TLDR:
    - updates coming to all 2023 releases (tech stream, LTS) for URP and HDRP
    - integration improvements for workflows, performance and rendering
    - new library with photometry/photogrammetry based materials and scans
    - collaboration with Weta to improve SpeedTree (tree generation inside the editor is mentioned)

Understanding Unity’s 2023 roadmap for games | Unite 2022:

st44554.jpg

st11.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  16. Rowlan

Rowlan

That doesn't answer the main question which is: "Will everyone get access to this and how much will it cost?

17. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Regarding tree generation inside the editor, unity already have Tree Creator which trying to mimic speedtree , is that gonna be replaced with speed tree system?

Gekigengar likes this.
  18. Murgilod

Murgilod

The tree editor was never really trying to mimic speedtree, considering how it only ever had maybe 1% of its feature set and produced really ugly results. It also doesn't even support LODs out of the box.

19. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

well it's an attempt i guess :D

Gekigengar likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't think that export option was ever available in speedtree free version even before the acquisition!! Only the 15 day trial editions had the export option
    Do u mean the default trees which came with speedtree for free, where only the unedited version of those could be exported for free??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2022
  21. Rowlan

Rowlan

It was in ST8

Gekigengar likes this.
  22. Rowlan

Rowlan

An asset I just installed required speedtrees. I thought I'd install the free examples, but there don't seem to be any anymore:

https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/9474

So to sum up: SpeedTree joins Unity and what the Unity users get is nothing at all.

LukeDawn, Gekigengar, Marble and 4 others like this.
  23. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Anybody knows what's the policy about including speedTree assets in a paid asset for the Unity store?
    I exported a sample from the ST Modeler 9.5 which allows to export the samples and I plan to use it in my get started tutorial.

24. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't know, but I went to their site looking for an EULA or something and... that site seems in disarray.

Is this thing still being developed?

The site still has a "breaking news" note that "SPEEDTREE JOINS UNITY"

upload_2023-7-27_21-59-20.png

Dude, that was 2 years ago.

Also, this Awards section is a bit sad:

upload_2023-7-27_22-0-18.png

Nothing after 2015, eh?

The copyright here hasn't been updated for 2023...
    upload_2023-7-27_22-1-37.png

I mean... From an outsider's perspective, I always thought Speedtree was amazing when Oblivion released, it probably peaked a bit after that and then started dropping. Getting bought by Unity had the potential to turn things around, but their website makes it seem abandoned.

In any case @BOXOPHOBIC the site says to contact them if you have licensing questions, so try that and let us know how it goes:
    upload_2023-7-27_22-6-10.png

https://store.speedtree.com/contact/

25. Murgilod

Murgilod

adamgolden and AcidArrow like this.
  26. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's not allowed. At least that's what I was told from the ST support about a year ago.