Search Unity

SpeedTree for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dannyoakes, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Velo222

Velo222

Yes, exact same problem (SpeedTree 8 models). The textures are not mapped correctly on almost all of my models in the "Temperate Deciduous Forest Pack" I purchased. They are stretched on certain sections of the trunk and branches for multiple models.

If I change all the texture import settings to "repeat" instead of "clamped" it helps a bit, but still pretty much unusable in a real game. This is a glaring mistake/issue!

I hope someone from SpeedTree sees this and can fix it.

SpeedTree8TextureProblem1.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Velo222

Velo222

Also, does anyone know how to set the tiling for the materials with SpeedTree 8? It seems to not allow it, am I doing something wrong or can you just not adjust the normal map tiling etc.... with SpeedTree 8? That would be a huge restriction.

I'm currently using Unity 2018.3.12f1.

SpeedTree8MaterialOptions1.jpg

I see no options to adjust the tiling for the texture or the normal map.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Goodgulf

Goodgulf

Hi Velo222, that's indeed the reply they gave me on the Speedtree forum. No comments on the Birch issue I posted there though and my question whether the Unity package will be updated remains unanswered so far.

4. Velo222

Velo222

Hmm that is interesting. They seem to be really slow now with any sort of communication, which is unfortunate.

Putting all of the texture sets for each tree on "repeat" does help a bit. And so does resizing all of the textures to 4096 (up from the default 2048 I think). However the tree textures, up close, remain VERY blurry. I mean it looks really bad up close.

On top of this, I still see no way to try to fix the normal map tiling on the trees, or to be able to add any sort of detail to them. So now I have no way of trying to "fix" the blurriness up close. I'm just wondering what is causing it.

Goodgulf likes this.
  5. Velo222

Velo222

Are you using the HD Render Pipeline in your photos, or standard Unity? Just curious. The pics look awesome :)

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thank you :) The one with the bent tree is Standard. The one with the Raccoon is HDRP.

Velo222 likes this.
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

The unattractive foliage transparency and speckle can be solved by adjusting the alpha cutoff. Unfortunately, the SpeedTree shaders don't allow this. Switching to other shaders that do allow this (that are double sided) for the foliage solves it quite nicely, as long as you adjust the cutoff value for each separate LOD.

I believe the SpeedTree8 shader would be the best solution, if they would simply allow us to adjust the cutoff for each LOD.

8. keeponshading

keeponshading

Does some has the experience if the vegetation studio pro 8 shaders for speedtree 8 solve the problem with clamp and alpha?

Far from that i hope it is possible to deliver some shaders with the speedtree 8 packages who work in BuiltIn RP.

tested
    Temperate Coniferous Forest Pack (v8)
    and
    Temperate Deciduous Forest Pack(v8)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  9. keeponshading

keeponshading

I tried 20min to do a post in the speedtree suport forum.
    I gave up.

10. Scruggers

Scruggers

Hello, a team member has updated files to upload for the tree packs but we're unfortunately stuck getting them online and waiting for assistance from unity. In the mean time, there's an easy fix. Download the free export-only version of the SpeedTree modeler or use your subscription and reexport with v-wrapping enabled. We are still in the process of getting the hdrp pipeline working so you'd need to be working in the standard scene. We have a workaround with manual hookups on the blog, however. Thank you for your patience!

11. AdamKane

AdamKane

I see the same issues.

12. keeponshading

keeponshading

They are unusable and glitched on store since releaseFeb 6, 2019.

"Speed"tree?

I switched to CTI trees.
    When there is no fix soon i must ask for refund.

13. Velo222

Velo222

If this is true, thanks. I hope you guys can get them uploaded as soon as possible though. Thanks for the info.

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

What does that mean for customers of the SpeedTree store? I rather prefer to be platform-independent if possible and hence don't buy your trees on the Unity Asset Store. I also never got an email or any other update notification of any of your trees.

15. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Is there any progress.
    More than 6 months are gone now.

are not usable?

16. malkere

malkere

Opening some speedtree store content in the v8 modeler, the textures don't line up. I was specifically looking at the cattails. They're working fine in v7 though.

17. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

Hello everyone,

My name is Caleb and I'm the Online Product Manager for SpeedTree. I just wanted to let everyone know that we have seen the posts on this thread as well as the comments on our official forums about the texture bugs with the following assets:

-Desktop Trees Package
    -Temperate Deciduous Forest Pack (v8)
    -Temperate Coniferous Forest Pack (v8)

Our engineers have been made aware of these issues and are working quickly to resolve them. We have deprecated these packages while they are being fixed. If you have previously purchased and downloaded these assets, you will still be able to re-download them, but no new purchases can be made on these until they are working and re-uploaded. We're very sorry for the significant delay some of you have experienced in receiving responses from our team regarding this issue and I can assure you that the updated packages will be back up soon.

We are actively improving our available assets and presence on the Unity Asset Store, and you should expect new and updated products as well as more prompt replies on this forum from our team going forward.

Best,
    Caleb Franklin

18. Rowlan

Rowlan

What about those of us who purchased directly in your store? Will we get update notifications? If so, do we need to register for that somehow or will those be sent out automatically to the customers?

19. Velo222

Velo222

Excellent. I'm glad to have an "official" response from SpeedTree again. Those packages are not cheap. For some people that is a lot of money. Thank you for working on fixing these packages. :)

C_Franklin_IDV and Goodgulf like this.
  20. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

I've tested the assets on the store myself and they should work fine if you export them for unity from the games modeler. The issue with the assets on the Unity Asset Store came from an issue with their initial export before they got uploaded.

The notifications for store updates are a good idea though. We've actually had the suggestion before but it got pushed back in our priorities once other things came up (we're a pretty small team). I've coordinated with the rest of the team though and we've decided to bump up the priority for this feature since several people have been asking for it.

If you've made an account on our store and purchased something at any point, then you're probably already registered for notifications from us. If you'd like, you can PM me and I can check for your address in our servers to make sure.

Rowlan likes this.
  21. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thank you, I already registered for the notifications. One more question though: On your store, when I select Games Tree Library > SpeedTree 8 and deselect UE4 / Unity / Lumberyard compatibility, I see e. g. Ginkgo Bilboa and Quaking Aspen. When I select Unity compatibility then, those 2 vanish from the result list. Are those not compatible?

22. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

I hadn't noticed that before but it seems there's an issue on the back end of our website with the tags for certain products. I'm going in and manually fixing it right now, but the good news is that I tested those packages and they definitely import correctly for Unity. Any of our SpeedTree 8 products should be compatible with Unity, UE4, and Lumberyard. The fact that they're disappearing is just a mistake with the site's code.

Sorry for the confusion!

Rowlan likes this.
  23. wood333

wood333

The speedtrees I purchased in 2016 do not react to the wind in Unity 2018 3? They worked fine in in earlier versions.

24. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

Hi Wood333,

Can you tell me which trees you're using? I'll do some testing and see if there's anything we can do for you on our end.

25. wood333

wood333

I purchased Unity tree packages from the SpeedTree store in 2016. Take a look at the river birch. It worked great in Unity 5. I have updated the project in a couple of steps up to Unity 2018.3.6f1. In this Unity version the speed trees do not move with the windzone. The non-speedtree grass still moves (indicating the windzone is functioning), but not the speedtrees. I do not believe the upgrade process created the problem, because I can place a new river birch from the project folder, and again, no movement with the wind. I just added a red_maple_desktop and it does not move, either.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  26. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

So I've tested the v7 River Birch model that you're talking about in Unity 2018.3.6f1 and using Unity's standard wind zone object I was able to create wind movement in the tree. Are you using Unity's standard wind zone or are there any other factors such as plugins or effects assets you're using that could be an issue?

Also, can you link me to the specific package that you downloaded? There's always a chance I'm looking at a different River Birch model or one that was exported incorrectly.

27. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

Also, when you upgraded your project, it may have created an issue with the assets in the folder and they might need to be re-imported. If possible, try deleting the assets giving you trouble from your project's asset folder and re-import them from the store. If you're prompted by the editor to either 'fix now' or 'ignore' a texture issue, make sure that you press 'fix now'

Just a thought. Try this and the post above and get back to me when you can.

28. wood333

wood333

It's beginning to look like a Unistorm issue. They have their own windzone and it's not moving the trees, like it used to. If I bring in a unity windzone I can get the speedtrees moving again. As of now, I think it's their bad, not yours.

Thank you for the prompt assistance. :cool:

29. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

Of course! Sorry about Unistorm causing issues. We see that sort of thing happen with third party assets and software all the time. If there's anything else I can help with in the future feel free to come back and I'll do what I can.

Good luck!

30. StevanJay

StevanJay

I'm looking for clarification on what version of Unity is required for SpeedTree 8 - the SpeedTree store lists it as 2018.3+. but the Unity Asset Store says 2019.2+... Which is it...??

31. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

Hi StevanJay,

In some cases it depends on the package. Some of our v8 packages were originally uploading using 2018.3+ but were later patched for bug fixes. When re-uploading a package to the Asset Store, Unity requires developers to use the latest version of the modeler, so any package that has received a patch was uploaded with 2019.2+.

That being said, they should still work in 2018.3+ as the issues that were patched were very minor, but I can't guarantee anything. Regardless, all v8 packages are confirmed to be working in the latest version of the Unity modeler.

Hope this helps!

StevanJay likes this.
  32. Velo222

Velo222

Hi Franklin,

Are any SpeedTrees working in the HD Renderpipeline yet? I'm thinking specifically that they look somewhat decent and work with the wind, but also just in general?

The last I worked with them, I could load them into HDRP, but I had to convert all of the materials manually, and the wind did not work, so I was just curious.

33. C_Franklin_IDV

C_Franklin_IDV

Hi Velo222,

Unfortunately there isn't a stable HDRP solution for Unity yet. You can convert the materials manually as you described, but this causes the wind function not to work on import. We're working with Unity now to provide stable integration, but we don't have a timeline for this yet. We're hoping to have this ready soon though, since we know it's in really high demand.

For the time being, I linked an article that contains a guide for manually converting SpeedTree materials to HDRP for anyone else that is interested:

https://store.speedtree.com/the-state-of-the-speedtree-unity-hdrp-pipeline/

34. elbows

elbows

C_Franklin_IDV likes this.
  35. Velo222

Velo222

Ok, thanks for the update :) I was just wondering what the state of it was right now and that answers my question.

C_Franklin_IDV likes this.
  36. Cascho01

Cascho01

I´d like to adjust the distance when a speedtree starts transitioning to billboard.
    But it does not react to the settings in TerrainComponent/Tree&Detail Objects/Billboard Start.
    Any way?

37. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

speetrees in unity use the lod group component. so you have to open the tree prefab and change the lod settings there. lod transitions are not based on distanced but on the size on screen.

Cascho01 likes this.
  38. IN_Ron

IN_Ron

We have been using SpeedTree assets (.st) in a number of our scenes but recently found that all the assets have moved to the origin (or their parent location) because the transforms have been set to identity. Looking deeper into this we found that the problem is that when they were added the overrides in the .unity file for the transform pointed to 'fileID: 400000', but that the ID of the transform in the asset has now become a different number. e.g. 400006 (depends on the asset). This probably happened when we moved to a new version of Unity (from 2018.3 to 2019.2) and everything of course got re-imported.

At the moment I don't seem to have any control over what ID the transform gets assigned on import and therefore cannot correct this (short of writing some sort of script to re-map all the references on the scene side). Is this a known issues and/or does anyone have a suggestion how to force the transform ID back to the old value?

Flurgle and hopeful like this.
  39. Velo222

Velo222

It's been a year and two months since I last posted and still no SpeedTree for Unity HDRP.

In the SpeedTree forums the SpeedTree representatives have stated that they sent their HDRP Shadergraph solution to "Unity engineers". So basically saying it's Unity's problem.

My question is, why is SpeedTree using a Shadergraph solution in the first place? Why Shadergraph? Why not just write non-shadergraph shaders?

It's just a bit frustrating still not having any really good outdoor scene trees to use in Unity HDRP -- other than one or two 3rd party assets. What is Unity doing with SpeedTree? And what is SpeedTree doing with Unity?

40. GXMark

GXMark

Unity ~ Would you please consider making the tree component on a speed tree "Marked as Serializable". I don't know if its an oversight or done for a reason. But i serialize all my assets without depending on the asset bundle creator and this is stopping me saving the wind data in the the tree.data scriptableobject.

41. keeponshading

keeponshading

42. GXMark

GXMark

All i know is that the latest unity alpha (I think its HDRP version 12.0) now supports speed tree with wind.

There was blog talk of back porting the shader code to support HDRP version 10.0 i think.

Can someone confirm this?

43. keeponshading

keeponshading

GXMark likes this.
  44. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

45. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Free SpeedTree for everyone?!

46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Don't think so, no?

47. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Haha I wish! Maybe cheaper for trees?

hippocoder likes this.
  48. Rowlan

Rowlan

They could at least do the monthly giveaway for everyone as an incentive. I certainly bought my fair share from the monthly bonus pack after I tried a single tree of it and then wanted the full pack.

hippocoder likes this.
  49. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

The amount of items that NM gives it seems like a single tree from SP wouldn't be $25.

50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Maybe with the provision that it must be used in a Unity production, after all that's fair. And it doesn't need to be a lot - just one grass, or plant or tree a month if you subscribe to updates (emails etc).

Maybe more for actual subscribers of the Unity engine?

Rowlan likes this.