Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

SpeedTree Camera Problem...

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by davem250, Feb 16, 2015.

1. davem250

davem250

Hey there, I have recently begun inspecting the new SpeedTree feature in Unity 5.
    What I have noticed is that (btw I am using Speedtrees in an Oculus demo!) the leaves are rotating along with your head movement, which is weird because it only happens on the broadleaf trees and not with the conifer trees... I use both in my scene but it is the broadleaf's that disturbs me, and I hope this will / can be resolved asap (Oh yeah, it is trees from the free package of SpeedTrees!) they DO look awesome but just not the leaves rotating along with the head movement :p Anyone knows how to solves this problem???

Thanks in advance :)

2. mtalbott

mtalbott

Do you mean they are spinning in the axis facing the camera or are they just rotating to face the camera like a billboard? The billboarding is intensional while I don't think they should be spinning if that is the case.

After watching this demonstration from Unite: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk1jOk7IxOA you can see that they throw in some billboard leaves in the middle of the tree to try to fill it out to look more opaque. If you don't like this trick, you could always edit the tree in the SpeedTree Modeler to remove the billboards.

3. davem250

davem250

Well I will try to be more specific... I mean when I move my head in the rift (also work when moving mouse!) left, right, up or down then some of the leaves with branches (possibly billboard branches as you mention!) just rotate, but only as soon as the camera(s) are moving in either of the four direction or two directions combined (i.e: left and up at the same time) but I will try and test out the billboarding of the branches asap :) Thanks very much for pointing this out for me ;)

Cheers and Thanks a lot mtalbott :D

4. Dannyoakes

Dannyoakes

Just to clarify, I believe what is happening is that the leaves are set to face the camera so any movement might affect the leaves as mtalbott said. Turning that feature off should clear up the problem. Let me know if that solves your problem!