Search Unity

SpeedTree 8 shader issues in deferred rendering mode (2018.3)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by XaneFeather, Jan 22, 2019.

1. XaneFeather

XaneFeather

With the release of SpeedTree 8.3.0 for Unity, I promptly ran some of the sample trees through the exporter to see if all the features work properly.
    All the rendering features seem to work fine in Forward rendering but as soon as the rendering mode is switched to Deferred, some effects like subsurface scattering seem to be gone completely.

upload_2019-1-22_22-33-1.png
    Forward Rendering

upload_2019-1-22_22-33-14.png
    Deferred Rendering

sqallpl likes this.
  2. sqallpl

sqallpl

Hi @XaneFeather ,

I don't have an answer for you question but as you are already testing SpeedTree 8 with Unity I would like to ask about something related if you don't mind.

Is SpeedTree 8 packing/exporting gloss (or smoothness/specular) map when exporting trees with Unity preset?
    Is the new SpeedTree shader using input from Unity reflection probes? The old one was not using reflection input.

Any answer will be much appreciated.

3. GregCroft

GregCroft

Hello,

Deferred doesn't have some of the lighting info we need for sss (which we actually hijack emissive for), so the subsurface is currently disabled in deferred. We might be able to find a workaround in the future. That should be the only difference between forward and deferred.

Yes. The Unity texture packer in the SpeedTree Modeler stuffs gloss into extra.r

If your gloss gets really high (for a tree), yes you should see reflections.