Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Speed up 'Checking for Changes' dialog?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by spryx, Jun 13, 2020.

1. spryx

spryx

Is there any way to speed this up or optimize my project?
    Collaborate takes 2 - 4 minutes every time I open my project to sync.

2. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

Hi Spyrx,

We constantly run into collab UI freezing, being broken (showing assets to be included that shouldn't be) among many, many other bugs in collab which require restarting Unity to fix.

This probably happens on average 3-4x a day, which you can imagine is a huge waste of time when it takes ~10+ minutes to do each time.

What I was able to find helped half that time though, was this unity store asset:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/asset-hunter-pro-135296

I think there's similar free assets, but in any case, it helped identify some big assets, many unused assets, and after clearing that out it did appear to significantly speed up the checking for changes aspect.

On another note, everyone here will generally tell you to check out PlasticSCM. If you're not down the rabbit hole in integrations on Collab/Teams, it probably makes better sense, especially if you look at the history of Collab and the dev team behind it.

Good luck

spryx likes this.
  3. spryx

spryx

I'd love to try PlasticSCM, but just don't have the funds right now. My one caveat is that I don't want to use a separate app for VC, but want to do everything in Unity. Supposedly, they are working on a new Collaborate, but only God knows when that will be out or in a preview package.

I tried setting up a P4 server....no go lol.

4. If you're adventurous: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/version-control/github-for-unity-118069

spryx likes this.
  5. spryx

spryx

6. Well, it works, I've tried it. Abandoning just means they don't improve it nowadays, but it is in working order.

spryx likes this.
  7. spryx

spryx

i'll give it a shot

8. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Plastic can be used from Unity. Just set up Unity's VC and you're good.

9. spryx

spryx

Migrating from Collab to GitHub rn. I'll let you know how the adventure goes. Not going to use the GH plugin as I've heard terrible things about it..so for now its VC outside of Unity.

Last official non-preview package update to Collab was over a year ago & I can no longer stand waiting for Collab to sync every time I start Unity.

Maybe i'll give it a try again when they replace Collab in its current form.

EDIT: So, I managed to move the repo this morning. It was absolutely painless and I don't know why I didn't do this years ago. I'm using Fork as my SVN client. Unity opens much quicker and is so much more responsive.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  10. newlife

newlife

spryx likes this.
  11. spryx

spryx

The first part of it was easy, you can use the functionality within collab to create a single zip file.
    Unfortunately, mine was under the 2gb limit, so I was able to perform the initial push without issue.

From my reading, you might want to move the large files out first if you can, and then move them to git LFS
    https://help.github.com/en/github/managing-large-files/configuring-git-large-file-storage

I'm very new to GIT, so I apologize for my lack of guidance here. I'm hoping some others could step in and fill in the gaps where I am lacking.

I'm also using a fantastic GIT client, Fork.

12. newlife

newlife

Well I hope that git LFS and splitted commits will work.
    For what concern the git client,why did you choose Fork over the free GitHub Desktop?

13. spryx

spryx

I tried it and liked it much more than the free one. No super good reason other than the fact I tend to like sleek tools.