Search Unity

Speed of uGUI compared to old Unity GUI on iOS iPhone 4 for example

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by goat, Aug 21, 2014.

1. goat

goat

Looking through the new uGUI I am wondering how fast it is compared to the old Unity GUI on the same platform?

I have very long code listing in the old GUI and it works intuitively and looks nice except I have to figure out how to auto-scale and anchor it for different mobile platforms still yet, unfortunately what it looks like in layout is all scaled and anchored wrong switching for platform to platform and compared to the editor layout itself.

Of course if the new uGUI is faster on mobile than the old Unity GUI (eg iPhone 4 / iPod touch 4) it'd be silly not to change because it does that already.

Does the Unity crew have metrics for a GUI that does the same thing in the GUI for both GUIs that the speed has been measured on mobile for?

2. goat

goat

OK, must be really crummy speed.

p87 likes this.
  3. ippdev

ippdev

I get 500 to 650 fps with a window full of 35+ widgets with several hundred text fields, multi dozen buttons, serial bus I/O, and over 40 scripts in the game view. Same complexity in OnGui would be about 30-90fps. Have not tested on iDevices yet...but crummy..nope. Flexible and fast to iterate with is my choice of buzzwords.

4. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It's much much faster then the old system. We only update verts / widgets when something changes as opposed to every frame. It's much much nicer :)