Search Unity

Speculations on new Apple products announced during WWDC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by freyr, Jul 17, 2006.

1. freyr

freyr

My guess is Mac Pro, a replacement for the PowerMac G5. Containing one or two of those suckers

Possibly not the Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 (too expensive), but maybe the next one up, the Core 2 Duo E6700.

... this new lineup of processors from Intel should explain why Apple choose Intel and not AMD. (And it fits even better into Apples high performance/low power consumption rationale for switching.)

This is of course almost obvious, so if you have other guesses, then please post below.

2. Morgan

Morgan

I agree--and I predict that both Conroe (single-chip x dual-cores) and Woodcrest (dual-chips x dual-cores = quad) models will be available.

3. freyr

freyr

Yes I'm replying to myself... :)

Maybe I'm old, but the first time I saw the name Extreme X6800 I read it as 680x0 ...

4. thylaxene

thylaxene

thanks you just made me feel old now! :wink: I still have fond memories of my LC...

cheers.

5. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I think the Mac Book Pros are due for an update. What's out now seems like it was pushed out the door. (As far as I know, none of the cool newer trackpad features, no FireWire 800, etc)

Plus all those random weird issues people report.

Oh, and we'll see a preview of Leopard. ;)

Probably some announcements from Adobe, Microsoft, and others about committment as usual.

By the way, the latest Strong Bad email had some funny iMac G5/Core Duo references: http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail153.html

-Jon

6. Sync1B

Sync1B

My thoughts are maybe the Apple tablet. There has been a ton of talk about this and the patents are suppose to be confirmed as real. I would die for a tablet from apple, it just seems up there alley.

Also Apple has seemed to be moving to a media center type thing with the addition of Front Row. I wouldn't be surprised if they took it a step further and we got to see a either some upgrade or one of the current mac lines turned media center. The current iMac seems like it might be passed due on a case upgrade, could we see the iMac meet media center?

The other thing is the iPod, whats the next step, how do they sell more? I am thinking a bigger screen possibly wide screen. If you turn the ipod 90 degrees it seems like the button wheel could be pushed down for a wider screen. I also guess this with the recent addition of 150+ major TV shows. They seem to be becoming very video oriented.

Those are my thoughts,
    Bill

7. thylaxene

thylaxene

Oh I wish! :wink:

8. Morgan

Morgan

I'd like a Mac tablet if very small, or an ultrathin laptop might be even better.

But I don't expect that at WWDC.

However, one more thing that might appear is new displays (with iSight?), to go with the new towers.

That's less likely if the new towers keep the same case (more or less) which I'd say is 50/50. Maybe a totally new case and displays will have to wait for January.

9. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

You seem to be forgetting something: How can apple not release a new music type thing? They are making so much $$$$$$$$ off the ipod, I am certain there will be a new one of em.

10. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I doubt they'll release that at the Developer Conference. AFAICS, they get far more exposure by doing that a bit later - even if they have it ready.

11. Sync1B

Sync1B

I doubt it to, but ADC has shown some stuff that certainly was not directed at developers. I would think it is just as much of a publicity attractor as other conferences. So who knows (besides steve) what's going to go down.

Bill