Search Unity

Specular issues with Standard Shaders

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by roger0, Apr 15, 2018.

1. roger0

roger0

I am building some crates and testing out the material options. I would like to use the new standard shader, but I am getting odd specular results from them.

To the very left is the Legacy shader with the specular merged as the alpha of the color map. It gives desired results.

However when I use the standard shader and use the specular map as the metallic map, it gives some specular reflection, but it does not appear to be as reactive to the light. Its more flat, and hard to tell that there's even a specular map at all. Kind of dull. Maybe a specular and metallic map are not interchangeable?

To the very right is the standard shader (Specular setup). Its the worst of all of them. For some reason it just makes the specular map visible all around it, regardless of the light source or light angle. I must be missing something.

Here is the specular map. When I applied the specular map to the metallic parameter, for some reason all of the darks were light and lights were dark. So I had to invert it.

Could someone shine some light onto what is going on and how to use the standard shaders correctly? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. roger0

roger0

*bump*

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Metalness:
    0 (black) is most materials - 1 (white) is metals. You generally don't want greys in that map, parts of your texture are either metal or they aren't, right? (of course there are exceptions and there's artistic license)

So don't use the specular map as metallic. Instead use the specular map as smoothness (so put it either in metalness alpha, or albedo alpha). Smoothness controls how "glossy" the material is.

In general, the main difference between the old workflows is that with metalness we don't really control the "amount of specularity" anymore, like we used to, which was wrong.

Mauri likes this.
  4. roger0

roger0

What about the standard (specular setup) shader? I applied my specular map with that and I get a weird frost around my object.

5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Screenshot_4.jpg Screenshot_3.jpg If you didn't figure this out yet, you need to have a gloss map in the alpha. You need 2 textures not just the specular. So basically, a specular with a gloss alpha inside. *red is metalness and yellow is gloss.

6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

And here is specualr vs metalness

Screenshot_2.jpg Screenshot_1.jpg