Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Specific Unity networking questions

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ivanskodje, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Ivanskodje

Ivanskodje

Yes; I have attempted to search but I could not find any answer to my specific question(s).

I am looking for an networking library to create a game where the player can choose to host or join a game via I.P. Anyone got some to recommend?

Bonus question;
    If it was possible, I would also like to know it is possible to create an "server list" functionality with the same library (I have servers I can use to list the servers).

I have used Photon, but I am looking for alternatives.

Thank you for your understanding!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

What do you need what photon is missing? I have never used it, but I am pretty sure this functionality is standard.

Unity's own networking can be used as server and client (how else would you play a game..). You could use
    a standard c# networking library and write your own (lidgren for example)

Server lists should be possible with all current solutions.

3. Ivanskodje

Ivanskodje

Because Photon wanted money? Am I missing something? :S
    I need an option that is 100% free. Regardless of number of clients I want per server. (2-32 is preferred).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  4. Ivanskodje

Ivanskodje

Bump IV

5. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

To use UNET's builtin match making or server discovery functions, you will have to use Unity's relay/matchmaking servers for that (which is a cloud service, just like photon). You can however also manually connect directly to an IP adress without requiring interference by Unity, so I guess you can create your own matchmaking logic with that as long as the server is correctly configured to accept all connections (aka port forwarding and whatnot). Otherwise there will be firewalls blocking incoming connections. This may require some expertise to get right.

Ivanskodje likes this.
  6. Ivanskodje

Ivanskodje

I have no intentions of using a cloud service from anyone. Which makes me think; is it the Cloud service Photon wants payment for? If it is, it means I Can use photon (which would be preferred) to do what I wanted - but I am not sure! :)

7. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

I dont know wether you can connect directly to an IP adress in photon, but Im getting the impression you cant. So you will have to pay for every x number of players concurrently online. I know that UNET can connect to an IP directly, but like I said, you need to create the server listing service yourself.

8. Ivanskodje

Ivanskodje

Thank you, I will check UNET - as well as check if Photon supports direct player to player connections.