Search Unity

Specific Driving Behaviour

Discussion in 'Physics' started by PPDEBH1, Oct 18, 2019.

1. PPDEBH1

PPDEBH1

Hello Guys,

this is my first post and im relatively new to unity and its features, so please forgive me if im doing sth wrong or do not understand instantly what youre talking about.

I have a question about the driving behaviour of a specific cart.

Its like a shopping cart but with the exception only the 2 wheels at the "grip side" can rotate in every direction and the 2, or sometimes 1 front wheels are stiff and cant change directions.
    I want to change the behaviour of a cart in the virtual reality environment, so the cart controll is different than normal. Like for example you have to rearrange the cart somethimes to get to your destination and you can direct around edges. The goal should be a realistic cart for a factory.

Is there a possibility to arrange that specific driving behaviour?

I thank you all in advance and would be glad if someone could help me.

2. Edy

Edy

Hello, and welcome to Unity forums!

I'd configure the wheels that can't change direction as WheelCollider components, like in regular cars. Note that it might be tricky to configure those for a shopping cart because of the light mass, but I think it can be done.

For the wheels that can rotate freely, I'd use just sphere colliders with a low-friction physic material. This will allow that part of the cart to be freely moved and rotated. Visually, you may write a script to explicitly rotate the visual wheels according to the direction of movement.

Enjoy!

PPDEBH1 likes this.
  3. PPDEBH1

PPDEBH1

Thank You very much for your Help, im gonna try it !