Search Unity

Spawning Objects after the Character has moved in the x direction

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DarkNeo, Jul 15, 2014.

1. DarkNeo

DarkNeo

Hi there,

I have the following script which is spawning my objects perfectly fine, however to make sure the spawned objects do not stack up if the player is idle, I was thinking about making it so after the player has moved in the x direction Then the objects will start to spawn.

I have tried altering the code in the Start() and that is all I can come up with.. it gives me no errors, but my objects still continue to spawn on start, Do I need to use another Function?

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class SpawnScript : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public GameObject[] obj;
    8.     public float spawnMin = 1f;
    9.     public float spawnMax = 3f;
    11.     // Use this for initialization
    12.     void Start ()
    13.     {
    14.         if (gameObject.tag == "birdSpawn" == (transform.position.x < 50.0));
    15.         {
    16.             Spawn();
    17.         }
    19.     }
    21.     void Spawn()
    22.     {
    23.         Instantiate(obj[Random.Range (0, obj.GetLength(0))], transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    24.         Invoke ("Spawn", Random.Range (spawnMin, spawnMax));
    25.     }
    27. }
    If I cannot get my current script above to work, I am thinking of making an invisible hitbox and when the character enters then my objects will start to spawn.

If anyone could help/steer me in correction direction that would be super! Thanks folks :)

2. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

Typo there, you'll need a && operator instead of ==.
    Also you might possibly have a startup position which matches the condition so that spawning starts right away.
    I guess it's better to store the startup condition somewhere and execute your spawning code in a Coroutine which checks if the position has changed - Start() is only called once, meaning that if you fix the typo you might possibly not see any spawning at all.

DarkNeo likes this.
  3. DarkNeo

DarkNeo

Adjusted the operator, and it still manages to spawn, no errors from my script.

Will have a look at that. Cheers mate