Search Unity

Question Spawning ground particles on uneven floor (Shuriken)

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by emiragason, Nov 23, 2022.

1. emiragason

emiragason

Hi everyone.

I'm currently working on a visual effect that uses the Shuriken system. The effect is basically some particles that spawn on the ground, think of an icy path, or an icy area of effect. It works perfectly when I use it on even, plain ground, but it looks awful when the ground has even slightest height differences.

For example if I try to spawn the effect so that it crosses a road and a sidewalk, the effect will display on top of the road but will not be visible over the sidewalk, which is higher than the road.

I know about decals, and I believe that's the functionality I need. I need those icy ground particles to lay over the height differences on the floor. However, I also want to maintain the functionality of the Shuriken particle system, such as Color over Lifetime, start delay, etc.

How would you go about achieving this effect? I've seen some tutorials on decals, but none of them have any animation or particle effects at all. If you have a solution that doesn't use decals, that would also work for me, as long as the desired effect is achieved.

Thanks a lot in advance!