Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SPAWNED ENGINE (Minecraft-like engine to make adventure maps & minigames)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Gurunext, Mar 29, 2015.

?

What is your first impression about the engine?

1. Let me lay my hands on it. THEN I will tell.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pretty exciting, already looks fun and a great idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. For one guy a decent work. Keep it up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Meh... But I'll be looking if you make any significant changes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not interested / dissatisfied. (Please let me know if there is something I can do about it)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gurunext

Gurunext

SPAWNED ENGINE
    (Still just mere alpha 0.14v - not released yet)

Introduction:
    You probably saw the vast range of minigames that has been created in minecraft. It was all possible because of the redstone system. And because I came from the background of adventurecraft (Minecraft's mod to make adventure maps) I've desided to bring this as a form of engine available for everyone for free AND everyone will be able to participate either just playing and giving feedback or making their own maps, custom items, storylines, enemies, inventing and trying out new mechanics. I want to try and collect as huge community as Minecraft did :3

Here is the latest look of the engine:

Plans:
    Right now because I am calling this a map making engine, as well as developing the engine I am making a map. This one includes super simple mechanics as a ball going from one place to another. You can kind of relate this to Trackmania as it sure had some inspiration from that one. But as any kind of set of mechanics, I can make it as complicated and feature filled experience as I want to... and I will. Again everything will be free and a first preview is comming up soon. Keep and eye on it and consider subscribing to the channel. As I make more of such videos presenting what is new in the engine.

What about Minecraft-like mechanics?:
    I have been focusing on those the first year I was working on the engine, but suddenly realised that I was going too slow and wanted to venture of by making a simplier map instead. Soon after I will implement a new simplier player and it's content like inventory, book of knowledge, throwing stuff... all of this back. Hopefully without that much use of time. And generating terrain will have to wait. This feature will be super flexible as for map making you may want to generate certain kinds of terrain with only certain structures.

Important features to wait for?:
    I have already mentioned the book of knowledge. This book contains all the information about the game, but you will have to reveal the information by performing certain tasks with the items it describes and you will have to collect the pages. In the very main map it's planned to really focus on this book as everyone will have one and try everything to get more knowledge. Next big thing planned is character building. Your character wont require pressing plusses to get stronger, it will take action much like in skyrim, but the skill list is going to be much more diverse as we are talking about completely destructible terrain. ALL characters will have permanent deaths. This might be shocking, but that's the whole point. You won't be sure if you want to be invested into a character until you achieve something epic. Characters will be able to teach other of your characters, even meet up and act as companions. Character can only be in one location/map, but you will actually find it with another character if you play the same map... all kind of neat things I am planning, that might have never appeared in gaming in general.

You can also contact me on skype (skype: kiskislegenda) if you want to help out with anything, or just have too many questions.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015