Search Unity

Discussion Spatial Tracking and Object Detection

Discussion in 'AR' started by cvols-valtech, Apr 13, 2023.

1. cvols-valtech

cvols-valtech

Hey guys,
    My solution needs to be able to be run on both Android and iOS.

I'm trying to scan and recognize an architectural model and bring it to life with 3D assets and animations. I'd like to be able to also localize the data, so that if the user looks away from the model, we don't have to have another recognition of the model and cause possible lag and/or differences from scene to scene.

I've been looking into a few solutions and was wondering if Unity and AR Foundation would suffice.

Here is a pretty good video I found online of what I'm trying to replicate:

I was able to get a working example using Vuforia, but I don't have the luxury of paying their prices so I'm looking for something more cost effective. If its not possible through AR Foundation I may have some wiggle room for Unity MARS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. WyattBUnity

WyattBUnity

Unity Technologies

Android ARCore does not support object tracking, this does not mean that what you need is impossible, but it would need to be done another way to support both platforms.

3. cvols-valtech

cvols-valtech

Thanks for the response. Do you know any other ways this could be done? I'm stuck because I don't see a solution through Unity and I'm not able to find any good examples of this being done anywhere else but Vuforia.

4. WyattBUnity

WyattBUnity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas as to exact implementations, but Image tracking is supported on both platforms, it may be possible to get something to work with that, but I can't come up with an implementation at the moment.