Search Unity

Spatial Audio

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by FiveFingerStudios, Jun 23, 2018.

1. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I'm making a game for both Rift(Oculus Store and STEAM VR) and Vive on STEAM VR and currently using the Oculus Spatializer that's included within Unity. I need to get better 3D audio, such as Occlusion behind walls.

I tried GVR audio by Google...but I know that has been replaced with Resonance Audio.

And I know that there is now STEAM Audio and that Oculus has a asset in the Asset Store for enhanced audio.

I've already created a lot of code that hooks into the default Unity AudioSource Component...which means that I would have to do a lot of work to convert over....so I want to make the best choice before committing

Does anyone know the pros and cons of each and could possibly give suggestions.

2. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have only tried Steam audio, it's very buggy, sound artifacts etc, it's not ready for production. I'm testing each new version of it to see if it's ready. Also there seem to be a bug Unitys spatilazation plugin causing some of the problems. I hope steam / unity will sort it out because I really want oclussion and propagation in our game.

Also I think it cuts of audio to agressive, check my test here

3. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

The spatial audio sounds much better than my game for sure, but I do see that it cuts the sound much too aggressively. That's a feature that needs the ability to fully adjusted by the developer...and that's where I want to get sometime solid without any headaches.

Thanks for info and sharing the video.

Btw, the gunshot sounds nice and with a lot of base. Is that the result of the Steam Audio? I had to make my gunshots 2D and stereo to get them to sound better, but they still are nowhere near that quality.

4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Thanks, they sound the same without steam, I have upped their loudness a bit in a audio editing program.

Here is the same gun with vanilla audio

5. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Yea, definitely more punch in how you edited it. Nice Job.

AndersMalmgren likes this.