Search Unity

Spash screen blocks game when Oculus-Rift plugged in

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by RHoogland, Aug 12, 2016.

1. RHoogland

RHoogland

I am working on an Oculus game with Unity5.4.0f3. I have just bought the new Rift and an Oculus compatible PC.

When running my game with the Rift plugged in, the spash screen "made with Unity personal edition" shows up and the game is blocked.
    When I unplug Oculus, there is no splash screen and my game works fine.

Unity's conditions don't mention any restrictions regarding Oculus;
    Besides, Unity's new conditions allow small designers (below the 100k revenue) to publish with the personal edition.

So I am probably doing something wrong. Anyone can help me out ? I am rather stuck.

thanks a lot

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

What do you mean by "blocked"? What do you see after the splash screen?

3. RHoogland

RHoogland

The splash screen freezes and won't disappear. It blocks entering my game. This only happens when the Oculus is plugged in.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  4. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

5. RHoogland

RHoogland

I have found the answer myself in the meantime.

I was used to work with a previous Unity version and the old Rift DK2, where the "personal edition" splash screen appeared only briefly and then the game would appear both on screen as well as on the Rift.

Having switched to the new Rift and the latest Unity version, things are different:
    1. First the rather confusing "personal edition" splash screen appears on the monitor continuously (this actually should not happen according Unity's new conditions!).
    2. On the Rift a grey screen appears, which can be clicked away with the Rift's remote control.
    3. After that the game runs fine and appears both on Rift and on screen. First thing I have to do is to replace this confusing splash screen with a clear instruction for the users, otherwise they will be totally puzzled.