Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Shooter Tutorial Q&A

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Adam-Buckner, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ShaesTeats

ShaesTeats

Hey guys,

I'm on lesson five and starting the player controller script and can't go any further. I seem to have adjusted the script according to the Unity 5 update guide but it won't work. Help please?

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 23.43.23.png

[Edited to display the image inline - mod]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016
  2. OboShape

OboShape

Evening,

The Start function needs to have a capital S
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start()
    it wont throw an error if its not capitalised correctly, it simply wont get called.

once you capitalise it, this should then assign the Rigidbody to rb correctly.

then you can continue with the lesson and add the speed value etc..

3. ShaesTeats

ShaesTeats

It's still coming up with the same error. :/

4. OboShape

OboShape

The two you are seeing in the bottom are warnings, an indication to you that there is something that you should consider looking at, and they are pointing towards scripts that are within the Done folder, the Done folder is a completed version with a few extra tweaks for you to look through once you have completed the tutorial and delve a little deeper, they shouldn't affect the running of this script and the game you are making with this tutorial in Unity.

But, warnings are warnings and these are related to the fact that Application.LoadLevel() has been superceded by the scenemanager, and the warning is indicating that the Done_GameController script is using an out of date method.

for more information on SceneManager you can check the docs here
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.html

but in the meantime to get rid of the warning you have to change that script so that it uses the new SceneManager.

you will have to add a new namespace at the top of the script.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    then where there is the line of code that restarts the scene that looks like the following.
    (which you wont have got to quite yet, but it will make sense further down the line of lessons i promise)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Application.LoadLevel(Application.loadedLevel);
    change that line to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex);
    this will now use the new SceneManager and the warning should go away.

There are two ways of selecting the active scene using this that I know of, one is by name, the other is by build index. but the one above will suffice in our case.

Gotta go, still at work (nightshift :()

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    ShaesTeats likes this.
  5. XxBeselXx

XxBeselXx

Captura de Tela (5).png Captura de Tela (6).png

[Edited to show images inline - mod]

6. ShaesTeats

ShaesTeats

Now my shots won't fire. I've followed the coding on the video and the update guide but it won't work. It's either not linking it to input from the keyboard or the shot just ain't spawning. Somebody, help please! What key is being used to fire the shots here?

(I've also looked at the transform of the bolt just incase it was firing along the wrong axis and it's not, I think.) Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 16.10.05.png Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 16.10.10.png Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 16.10.26.png

7. OboShape

OboShape

Ayay looking at the PlayerController script you need a capital U for your update function. As in
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Update()

8. ShaesTeats

ShaesTeats

I'm sorry, I have a tiny hint of the derp. That's got them firing but apparently not in the right direction.

Thanks for the help. :)

9. OboShape

OboShape

Nice one @XxBeselXx, cheers for putting up the images.

Looking at the bolt, can you uncheck the 'is Kinematic', this would allow physics forces applied in the Mover script to drive the rigidbody.

10. XxBeselXx

XxBeselXx

Well, i did what you said, but nothing happened. When i shoot, the bolts still not going foward

Attached Files:

11. OboShape

OboShape

Really sorry, Im at a bit of a loss :(
    Probably something ive overlooked or not picked up on, hope when Adam gets back or someone with a fresh pair of eyes can have a look over and spot something.

12. Inzane-Jax

Inzane-Jax

So I've been blasting through the tutorial today, and everything is working fine, following along just like the tutorial.

My problem is that the explosions are causing a massive crapload of lag and it's on the verge of freezing completely.

What I have done since the ep. when you add several waves of spawns;
    #1 - I have the killing of explosions after 2 seconds and when they dissapear so does the lag.
    #2 - I found out that having both the scene-view and the game-view was most of the cause to the lag, so now I run in only Game-view to test.
    #3 - Tried reducing max particles to 30 instead of 50 but nothing happened so I changed back to 50 (I'm not even sure if that had any impact since the child objects to explosions are limited to even less)
    EDIT: I also had the explosions for both player and object happening all the time, but I found this out before the other steps - so it's not that :)

But the problem is still slightly there, I can feel the game lagging when 3 explosions are there (it starts at 2, but very very low), and every explosion noticably increases the lag.

I tried searching for it for a long time now, I'm going to keep on with the tutorial but I would really like to understand what's at fault here.
    There can't really be an issue with my pc's specs - running an i5 and gtx 670, well above the req for an arcade-game.

Any help at all is appreciated!

Regards
    J

2nd EDIT: I finished the tutorial, the problem is still there - BUT - only in unity's interface. I built it for windows and it works perfectly, I couldnt try it with web since chrome doesnt support the plugin.
    But I would still very much like to know why unity's interface is lagging so much, will be difficult to tell what works and what doesnt if this doesnt go away.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

I glanced at some of your questions... looks like you are having trouble with the firing of the bolts ? If the code is correct, is the script attached to the parent object and not the child. If I remember correctly we have the empty game object Bolt which the script should be attached and then the game visual effect as the child.
    Also make sure that the speed for the variable is not 0; Because 0 isn't going to go anywhere. That's where i make my mistakes are those two areas. Attaching script to wrong component and not setting the public variables in the inspector.

14. OboShape

OboShape

Morning, have a look at DrDMoney's post on previous page about setting the particle system to simulation space for the asteroid explosions, Never encountered it myself but might be worth a looksee until Adam gets back.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  15. Map_Monkey

Map_Monkey

Two hours in and I have not seen it fixed. Depending on intent; it could be classified as a bug or a feature some shooters allowed shots to destroy one another. In your case, you want to have one type of bolt (Enemy Bolt) ignore the fact that it collided with another type of bolt (Bolt). I am specific on those names because so is Unity. And that code required, OCD, nit picking is something you can take advantage of... :)

In the base code there is a way to ignore collisions that is modified at almost one hour in the extension to look something like this with commenting:
    Code (csharp):
    1. void OnTriggerEnter (Collider whatWasHit)   {   // Called when contacting an active Trigger volume
    2.      // "I hit a Trigger on this whatWasHit thingy. Here is whatWasHit."
    4.      // If first thing hit was game bounds; nothing should blow up. GTFO. Edit: OR Enemy
    5.      if (whatWasHit.CompareTag("Boundry") || whatWasHit.CompareTag("Enemy")) {     // Collided with something tagged "Boundry" or "Enemy"
    6.        return;     // Exit function with no return value immediately
    7.      }
    8.    }
    After the code was altered things had to be assigned to this new Tag a couple minutes later.

There is nothing to prevent you from modifying the code even further to include another comparison by adding something like:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if (whatWasHit.CompareTag("Boundry") || whatWasHit.CompareTag("Enemy") || whatWasHit.CompareTag("BoltPlayer") ) {
    2. // Was it a Tag I made up and assigned Called Boundry
    3. // Was it a Tag I made up and assigned Called Enemy
    4. // Was it a Tag I made up and assigned Called BoltPlayer to a Prefab called Bolt (not Enemy Bolt)
    5. // Was it a Tag I made up and assigned Called EnemyBolt to a Prefab called Enemy Bolt
    6. // (for some game where the code has been modified so Enemy Bolts could collide) TODO not required as outlined
    7. // Was it a Tag I made up and assigned Called HappyFunBall TODO
    You can do this with whatever you feel the need to change. Remove the Asteroid Prefabs from the Enemy Tag or try one called "AsteroidPrefab" to make things really interesting! :D
    Throwing the Bolt Prefab into the Enemy Tag could also be a dirty fix for this specific game. Better practice would have Tags assigned for each Prefab category and check as needed in larger projects.

16. OboShape

OboShape

Morning,

Just had a look at the project you sent me.
    The Bolt prefab that you have in the root of the assets folder doesnt have a speed value on it, its currently 0, so need to change the speed to say 20. as this is whats getting instantiated when you fire.

see how that goes.

17. qmarsala

qmarsala

I am having an issue with extending my space shooter. I have just added the enemy ship, and the enemy bolt. However, when the enemy fires at me, and I fire back at him I am expecting my bolt to collide with his bolt and destroy it, but what is happening instead is my bolt passes through his and destroys him, and his bolt destroys me.
    Below is my OnTriggerEnter of my Destroy by Contact script, although I am sure nothing is wrong with it. It is most likely something wrong with my prefab or other game objects, but I have been following the tutorial so I am not sure what would be wrong. Any help would be great.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    2. {
    3.     if (other.CompareTag("Boundary") || other.CompareTag("Enemy"))
    4.     {
    5.         return;
    6.     }
    8.     if (Explosion != null)
    9.     {
    10.         Instantiate(Explosion, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    11.     }
    13.     if (other.CompareTag("Player"))
    14.     {
    15.         Instantiate(PlayerExplosion, other.transform.position, other.transform.rotation);
    16.         gameController.GameOver();
    17.     }
    19.     gameController.AddScore(ScoreValue);
    20.     Destroy(other.gameObject);
    21.     Destroy(gameObject);
    22. }
    edit: Fixed code formatting in form post.

18. Map_Monkey

Map_Monkey

Nothing appears wrong with the code. See my previous post and you may find that you missed assigning a Tag.

19. qmarsala

qmarsala

My "Bolt Enemy" prefab has the "Enemy" tag.

20. Map_Monkey

Map_Monkey

So if he can have Enemy Bolt pass through Bolt by putting the Bolt Prefab into the Enemy Tag then you have your Bolt Prefab tagged as "Enemy" so it gets passed through by Enemy Bolt who looks at Bolt.tag and sees a friendly "Enemy" tag as goes merrily on it's way until it leaves Bounds or hits something not tagged "Enemy".
    ..."Like that "Player" one. I just want to explode every time I come into contact with that one."​

21. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Tutorial is so broken, video needs redone, time to F10 and do something else...

[Edited to remove offensive Caps, Bold and Colors - mod]

22. Map_Monkey

Map_Monkey

Somewhere I am sure I have missed something long the way, but I cannot track it down in 4.01 Extending Space Shooter.
    Start of EvasiveManeuver.cs
    Playtest of EvasiveManeuver.cs

EvasiveManeuver.cs - Parent: Prefab.Empty.name == "Enemy Ship"
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;   // Version 5.3.1p2 Personal
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class EvasiveManeuver : MonoBehaviour {
    5. // ...
    6.    private Rigidbody rb = null;   // Needed copy to access public functions. AKA Boilerplate && related code in Start()
    7.      private float currentSpeed;     // Heavy use. Make local copy
    8.    void Start () {
    9.      rb = GetComponent<Rigidbody> ();   // Get me a copy of the Rigidbody assigned to this Parent
    10.      if (rb == null)   {     // There is no Rigidbody Assigned in Unity. User error
    11.        Debug.Log ("Missing rb in Evasive Maneuver for " + gameObject.name);   // User error at this location
    12.      }   // Passed. Must be Rigidbody assigned in Unity
    13.      if (rb != null) {   // Did you really find something when you Instantiate a hazards["Enemy Ship"]
    14.        Debug.Log ("I found rb in Evasive Maneuver");   // "I always find rb when an Enemy Ship spawns"
    15.        /* And you are attached to a Prefab that JUST got Instatiated in GameController.cs
    16.         * So you stop HERE at Start() before hitting any Update functions
    17.         * And FixedUpdate() is where rb.velocity is supposed to be updated
    18.         * Therefore your .velocity would be whatever it gets assigned during initiialization
    19.         * With no way to modify .velocity in the code by this point initialzation would commonly give a zero or null
    20.        */
    21.        Debug.Log (rb.velocity.z + " == rb.velocity.z == 0\nTechnically correct? :(");
    22.        currentSpeed = rb.velocity.z;   // Posted code. Video code.
    23.        // Store local > call every time as in Done_EvasiveManeuver.cs
    24.        // currentSpeed = GetComponent<Rigidbody>().velocity.z;
    25.      }
    26.      if (currentSpeed == 0.0f)   {
    27.        currentSpeed = -5.0f;   // TODO: HARD CODE MAGIC NUMBER. STRUCTURE ERROR!!
    28.        Debug.Log ("Gather villagers and torches!\nDestroy the MAGIC NUMBER " + currentSpeed);
    29.      }
    30.      StartCoroutine (Evade ());
    31.    }
    32. }
    Checking the usual suspect Unity has Prefab.Enemy Ship:
    Transform: 0,0,8
    + Rigidbody
    - Use Gravity
    - Is Kinematic
    + Sphere Collider IsActive == true
    + Mover.cs IsActive == true
    ++ Speed == -5
    + WeaponController.cs IsActive == true
    ++ Shot: Bolt Enemy
    ++ Shot Spawn: Shot Spawn (Transform)
    ++ Fire Rate: 0.65
    ++ Spawn Delay: 0.8
    + Audio Source IsActive == true
    + DestroyByContact.cs IsActive == true
    + Explosion: explosion_enemy
    + Player Explosion: explosion_player

With EvasiveManeuver.cs on Prefab.Enemy and IsActive == false things work as expected. Enemy Ship spawns out of camera view via GameController.cs. Enemy Ship moves on the z with Mover.cs. Enemy Ship blows up on contact with the Player with DestroyByContact.cs. WeaponController.cs makes Enemy Bolt spawn and blow up the Player.

EvasiveManeuver IsActive == true causes all Enemy Ship instances to spawn at the correct x range, y == 0.0f, and z == 16.0f like GameController.cs tells them. Enemy Ship will then dodge, shoot, collide with whatever you tag properly, get shot, give points, except it STOPS moving on the z when using rb.velocity.z as the currentSpeed. Everything else works before turning EvasiveManeuver.cs on in Unity. I have it narrowed down to there as the error source would be my guess.

+ EvasiveManeuver IsActive == true
    ++ Smoothing: 7.5
    ++ Dodge: 5
    ++ Start Wait: 0.5, 1
    ++ Maneuver Time: 1, 2
    ++ Maneuver Wait: 1, 2
    ++ Boundary
    +++ X Limit: 6
    +++ Z Lim Mx: 20
    +++ Z Lim Mn: -20
    ++ Tilt: 10
    By inserting a Magic Number after all of the data failures Enemy Ship will begin moving down the screen, but this is a VERY poor hack. I see it working in Unity 5.2 in the video. Unity 5.3.1p2 tells me rb.velocity.z is zero. Where am I missing the insertion of some velocity to a new instance?

MonoBehaviour.Start()

23. alexeu

alexeu

Hi,
    i use unity 5 and the game works good. no bug, no failur..
    BUTwhen i look to the console i have 3 Critical Errors :
    ** Invalid AABB Result
    ** isFinite (outDistanceForSort)
    ** isFinite (outDistanceAllongView)

after several tests it seems that the errors are generated by objects Collisions/explosions...
    i saw on the web that it could be a Unity 5 bug.
    thanks for help :)

24. alexeu

alexeu

hi,
    i use unity 5
    Why i can't use ctrl+alt in MonoDevelop editor to write specific symbols like [ ] { } ...
    it does nothing !???

25. unidad3d

unidad3d

It's a known bug, already reported and fixed on beta version.

26. unidad3d

unidad3d

Don't know what unity version you are using, but I followed this tutorial without issues using Unity 5.3.1f1 (64-bit), except for the particle system that show some errors on unity, but this is a known bug and does not affect to complete this tutorial.

[Edited to remove offensive formatting in quote - mod]

27. XxBeselXx

XxBeselXx

Hi you guys, i have a problem with the destruction of the asteroid. No erros has been showed on the console, but when i shoot on the asteroid, the code i settled on it doesn't work.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class DestroyByContact : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    7.     {
    8.         Debug.Log (other.name);
    9.         if (other.tag == "Boundary")
    10.         {
    11.             return;
    12.         }
    13.         Destroy (other.gameObject);
    14.         Destroy (gameObject);
    15.     }
    16. }
    Captura de Tela (10).png

[Edited to show image inline - mod]

28. unidad3d

unidad3d

Check the transform.position of the asteroid, your's are in -1.7450 Y, mine's are always at 0 Y.

29. WhySoSeriousGuys

WhySoSeriousGuys

Tutorial is completely fine... there are only tiny differences between Unity versions. You can easly complete whole project in Unity 5.3x.
    I had 0 problems doing that...
    Also F10 does nothing... I think you meant F5
    And you should definitely alt+F4

[Edited to remove offensive formatting in quote - mod]

30. microperts

microperts

I have an issue with the direction and bolt fire in the game. I have rotated the Bolt 90 degrees in order to set it in front of camera but now my Z axis is facing towards down and when I run the game, the Bolt goes down side.
    I'm here to ask is there any way or scripting code etc by which I can move my Bolt in Y-axis direction !
    Thank you

Attached Files:

31. XxBeselXx

XxBeselXx

Hi you guys, i have a problem with the collisions between the asteroid and the player. When the collision happens, the game becomes very slow. Also the Asteroid doesn't go foward, just back. I tried to change the Axis direction of the asteroid, but the situation still the same.

32. XxBeselXx

XxBeselXx

Before trying to change the position of the bolt through code, check the asset's prefab folder and change through it by selecting the bolt's prefab inside the folder. I had a similar problem and i solved this way. Hope this reply can help you somehow

33. OboShape

OboShape

If you reset the rotation of the bolt (the parent object), then as you have added the the VFX quad as a child object, you should change the rotation on that VFX quad.
    So the bolt rotation hasnt changed, but the child VFX quad has. so this should work ok as per tutorial.

(just remember to apply that back to the prefab ;))

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are you saying the MonoBehaviour.Start() was your fix? If I'm following what you are saying, I'm having a similar issue with my enemy ships. If I place the enemyship in the game area at start it will move forward.

If its instantiated from the array it will start at the proper game positions but not go forward and the ships only, collect at the top of the screen {z startSpawn positin}.

I disabled my maneuvers script and the same thing happened so I was thinking the error was somewhere in my GameController script.

I can't for the life of me figure it out because the asteroids appear to be working fine.

Rigidbody x; speed x; scripts on x; collider x; is trigger x

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

How I fixed my "errors" > Delete EnemyShip Prefab > Make sure I'm in the Global " Position" Setting in upper left corner [the other tab/toggle switch is local settting] > Created Empty Game Object > Renamed > Added model/engines/emptygameObjectChild all as children > Did transform positions and transform rotations in global setting.

I've been using Unity 5.3.1f1. Everything appears to be functioning now. Thanks for the great beginner tutorial. I've learned a lot !!!

36. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm unclear whether you mean "No" - you have not attached the script, or "No" - you have no errors!

If you still need help, we're here! Just, please give us the details we need to help you.

37. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

When posting code on the forums, you must use code tags.

Please learn to use code tags properly: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/using-code-tags-properly.143875/

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Please use the Upgrade guide mentioned in the Original Post of this thread and on the Lesson Page.

This will help with changes in the project and code due to updates in the Editor.

UpgradeGuide.jpg

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Please learn to use code tags properly: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/using-code-tags-properly.143875/

40. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Please be aware that when creating this project in its original form, the player is working on the x-z plane with the camera looking down along the y axis.

When working in 2D, by default, the game will work along the x-y plane and the camera will be looking down the z axis.

This is a fundamental difference that you must take into consideration when adjusting this project from 3D to 2D.

41. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

42. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Don't forget that you can post code inline without having to use screenshots!

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/using-code-tags-properly.143875/

43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

What @Map_Monkey says is good:
    You can also look at the Physics collision layers (Layer Collision Matrix) and put items on different layers so they ignore each other:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-PhysicsManager.html

44. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Please don't use excessive CAPS or bold or color when posting on these forums.

45. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If you have a specific issue, please state the issue, or please do not post.

46. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sorry - *I* Must be missing something!

What is it that you are needing? You've done a lot of work, and maybe I need more coffee this morning... but... what's the issue? In a nutshell?

47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm not sure why you can't do that. I can't seem to reproduce the issue. I'm getting []{} in MD just fine.

If you are still having issues, you may want to post in another section of this forum.

The Teaching section, and specifically this Space Shooter topic, is to discuss and support specific Teaching material and the Learn section of the website. For basic support please use the relevant section of the forum. Some suggestions would be:

48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Don't be afraid to post your images inline. We prefer this, as they are easier to read.

49. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

You can double check this against the "Done" scene, which seems to work fine in 5.3 (with the exception of the AABB result issue).

50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This confuses me a bit... Can you try explaining this again?