Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Shooter Tutorial Q&A [ARCHIVED]

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Valdier, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OboShape

OboShape

Adam will get back to you soon, but see if i can help a little until then.

ok, so , your saying that when you shoot an asteroid the explosion gamobject appears ok in the scene?

if thats the case then it might be related to the explosion prefab itself.
    you mentioned "DestroyByTime" script above, have you edited that at all? (thought that was one of the Done prefabs) if you have, check the script and class name are in the same case.

if that fails, then if you comment out the line for instantiating the explosion within your destroyByContact script. does the error go away? (you wont get the explosion on the screen now, but it will localise where the problem lay)

2. simone9725

simone9725

3. thefallingboy

thefallingboy

at this moment i dont have an script DestroyByTime, am just saying i just want all the scripts be like:
    • "DestroyByTime"
    • "DestroyByBoundary"
    • "DestroyByContact"
    before the rename i have:
    • "DestroyByTime"
    • "DestroyByBoundary"
    • "destroyByContact"
    i rename destroybycontact and i dont know i need to rename the class to the same name of the script, and then boom the alert come to say "im gonna stay FOREVER!" D:
    and now i dont know how to fix this o_o

4. lxkosxl

lxkosxl

scripts are case sensitive and picky so idk if it helps, just a huge problem i had when i started

5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'll look into this script, just in case.

I'll look at the default one in the project and report back. What devices did you use? I have a Galaxy Note tablet I can try it on, and an iPad Air...

6. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

A couple of things...

First:

Backups and version control.

We all make mistakes.
    We make them all the time.
    We all make mistakes all the time.
    Always.
    It's a fact of life!

One of the toolsets we have to help us is incremental backups and version control.

(This will take the headaches out of simply wanting to throw away all your changes and going back to a known stable version of your project.)

The first, simplest tool is manual incremental copied backups as version control. It's messy, ugly, takes up a lot of disk space and is prone to some confusion, but it works.
    • Have your project.
    • In the same directory as the project, create a folder/directory called "Archive".
    • Every time you do something new (like work on a new episode of the tutorial)
      • Save your scene
      • Quit Unity
      • Duplicate a COPY of the project into the "Archive" folder
      • When the OS is done copying the project, change its name to a new incremental name
    • Reopen Unity to your original project.
    • Now, you have an incremental back up.
    This way you will have a saved project for each step of the project. If you are about to start something you are worried you don't understand - back it up again this way. If you mess something up? You can roll back to the previous version. Having trouble on Episode 13? Revert to the end of Episode 12 as many times as you want.

To "revert":
    • Optionally delete your main project (you can move it or rename it)
    • Duplicate a COPY of the (usually last) version you want to revert to into your "Main Project" folder
    • Open this newly copied project in Unity.

The key here is COPY / DUPLICATE between directories, and to do it while Unity is closed, so you don't copy unnecessary temp files.

After that, if you are on a Mac, enable Time Machine and use an external drive to do automatic backups. Then you can find a back up to revert to. On Windows, you will need to do your own research into a good automatic incremental back up system.

Professionally - you should be using a proper "version control system".

Look at Bit Bucket and Git Hub for repositories:
    https://bitbucket.org/
    https://github.com/

These sites store version of your project, and you can push "changes" to these sites, and then if you need to, you can "pull" a version you want to revert to. These are professional solutions and require a certain amount of learning and experience to get them working correctly.

I'm on a Mac, and I use SourceTree and BitBucket for my version control.
    https://www.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/

This will take the headaches out of simply wanting to throw away all your changes and going back to a known stable version of your project.

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Next:

Working with scripts...

As Oboshape mentioned - there are a few things you need to do when dealing with scripts:
    • Capitalization counts!
    • In C#, the Script name and the Class name must match
      • If you have a script file called MyScript.cs
      • You will need to have the main class inside declared as "public class MyScript : MonoBehaviour {}"
      • If you change the script file name or the class name, you must change the other to match
    • If you change the name of a script class or script file (preferable both) the Inspector WILL lose track of it!
      • The script component on all game objects that the script was attached to will now say "missing".
        • This is the same a deleting the script file from your project
      • You will have to reassign the script to the component in the inspector.
    What happens if you rename or remove a script from the project:

These will all have to be manually replaced.

In some/most cases, if you simply revert the name back to what it was, it should be found automatically and go back to working.

What version of Unity are you using ?

In recent versions of Unity, the script component can "survive" a renaming if you rename both the Script Name and the Class Name, but don't move or change the location of the file.

If you have started monkeying with meta data files and other funky, lower level stuff...

... I'd throw in the towel and try to find a back up if you have one.

I'd hate to suggest you start again, but, honestly, "starting again from scratch" is one of the common lessons to be learned in this business. I've done it countless times and always learn something new each time I have to go through things again.

8. thefallingboy

thefallingboy

ah, i already fix the problem with the alerts it was a missing script in the object "explosion_asteroid" and looking to the others explosion VFX they have missing scripts too.
    im gonna try github to have a properly control on my project's and try to remember how deal with scripts and class, everything works fine now, thanks Obo, thanks Adam :)

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

NP

FWIW: I resisted using "proper" version control, because I had backups covered with "crash plan" and "time machine" (yup: both!) and could duplicate my projects if I was really really worried...

... but once I had it set up, Source Tree and BitBucket work fine for me.

The main thing is to just remember to commit and push regularly.

10. OboShape

OboShape

I was speaking with Felix over PM this afternoon to get it resolved rather than putting it all here, but one tool i recommended to use was from the Wiki page
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/FindMissingScripts

basically an editor extension that searches all objects and their components to find broken references, then lists them in console.
    its a handy tool ive used before, and keep it safe in case i need it again :)

this worked, when you play the game, hit pause when the reference warning comes up, select all objects in scene and run the tool.

Like felix found it was a missing script reference, just thought i would post solution.

11. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Nice!

I don't spend enough time on the wiki.

Sadly, I feel one of the side-effects of such a strong asset store is fewer people posting utilities on the wiki.

12. ALterEgo809

ALterEgo809

Hello Friends. First of all Great Tutoria!!! I love it. I have this little issue: The DestroyByBoundary script works if in game mode I drag the "Bolt" Prefab into Hierarchy it gets destroyed. But the Shots Instantiated by te PlayerController script when i hit the fire button, those are not being destroyed. Any ideas.???? I have the same code as the video, happens with the asteroid too, the shot and asteroid get destroyed if I drag the bolt into Hierarchy in game or edit mode, but when I hit the fire button those shots and the asteroid dont get destroyed.

13. OboShape

OboShape

Hi AlterEgo,

just though id try and help.

the boundary destroys any object that has exits its volume that has a collider marked as being a 'trigger'. (ie the bolt or asteroid)

ive tried to replicate this, and the only way Ive found to to it is to move the boundary away from the player.
    can i ask you to check that the boundary has the Y transform position to 0, as per the boundary vid at 4:25.
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/space-shooter/boundary

so the player, asteroid and boundary are all on the same Y plane value of 0.

just out of curiosity :)

14. ALterEgo809

ALterEgo809

Hi OboShape, yes, Y transform position for the player, the asteroid and boundary are set to 0. I'll Attach some images.

Attached Files:

15. OboShape

OboShape

try playing the game, then pausing when you have an asteroid on the scene.
    then in the editor window, check that bolts and asteroids that are generated, are moving within the boundary volume.
    just out of curiosity, as if they dont move within the boundary, they can never exit it.

16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Check the game after it has started ... and see if the boundary is there.

Could it get destroyed for some reason after the game starts?

If it does, you should add a line of code to your boundary in the trigger function:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Debug.Log(other.gameObject.name);
    ... and see if you can track down what's destroying it.

If it's not being destroyed by this trigger (on the boundary), you can try a similar line on the bolt.

Essentially, trying to track down who's destroying what and why.

This could be related to a bad line of code, or a missing or mis-allocated tag, or other simple error.

17. PhsycoDragon

PhsycoDragon

18. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Hey everyone,

Now that I have completed the tutorial Roll-a-Ball, I thought I'd go ahead and shoot into space :D.

I noticed while doing Chapter 3 (The game object) I could add mesh collider while the capsule collider was already in the game. I didn't get the message I should get according to the video and I was NOT asked to replace the Capsule Collider with the Mesh Collider. I've seen the end of the video, so I assume it's okay to simply delete the Capsule Collider and keep the Mesh Collider, but I thought I'd better mention it anyway.

Is it good that I'm not asked about this and the existing collider isn't being replaced and is still in the project?

Also, I keep getting this message:
    ! Cleaning up leaked objects in scene since no game object, component or manager is referencing them
    Texture2D has been leaked 3 times.​
    I don't know what it's about, but I thought I'd better mention it.

Also, good to know, @Adam Buckner , that I need to back up the entire folder and not just "save scene as" to make a back up and then continue. I had been wondering about that :)

19. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Hi,

I hate to double post, but I thought I'd better make a new reply to make it clear I have a problem now, instead of only a simple message.
    I've made the VFX with the Quad as instructed in chapter 7 (Creating Shots) and made it a child from Bolt. The moment I add a rigidbody component to the parent (Bolt, instructed at point 7:11h in the instruction video) I get these error messages (exclamation mark in red):

Actor::updateMassFromShapes: Compute mesh inertia tensor failed for one of the actor's mesh shapes! Please change mesh geometry or supply a tensor manually!
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Actor::updateMassFromShapes: Compute mesh inertia tensor failed for one of the actor's mesh shapes! Please change mesh geometry or supply a tensor manually!
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()​

I got the first message three at the same moment and at the same moment I got one of the last message, so for message in total the moment I added the rigidbody component.
    The last message seems to be triggered by activating and deactiviting the Gravity field in the rigidbody component.

I understand a rigidbody component can't be added to a plane object. However, the child from Bolt is a Quad and the parent (Bolt) has no mesh yet. The way I understand it, this should work.

I know Ares21 had a similar problem last year but apparently it had something to do with the script. I haven't gotten to the part to create a script for the bolt/VFX yet.

I've looked at other answers but they didn't seem to relate to this particular problem.

How do I solve this?

Thanks for the help!

ETA: Okay, I've searched again, checked the video again and redid all the steps in the video. When I removed the mesh collider in VFX and added a capsule collider in Bolt, it seemed to be solved. The error messages disappeared because I had clicked "clear on play" and I tested it... hence the disappearance of the message.
    I removed the rigidbody component from Bolt and added it again and I got no error messages anymore.

So apparently my problem is solved now :) Thought I'd post it here so that others who might run into the same problem see that eventually it will be solved.

I don't know, though, if this was supposed to happen, or if this is due to some changes to Unity since the video has been made.

Anyway, problem solved for now :) Continuing with the tutorial.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you post your hierarchy and your code? This sounds like there is a rigidbody in the wrong place.

21. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Just to be clear, I didn't have a code yet.

But here's the Hierarchy:
    hierarchy-bolt-rigidbody.png

22. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you capture the VFX child?

23. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

I think that's the one I just replaced the image with :) I noticed the hierarchy wasn't completely expanded.

Your post and my edit must have crossed.

Or wasn't this what you meant?

24. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah, you can't see two items in one inspector at the same time, so you need both images or two inspectors, one locked on the previous item.

Hmmm... I don't see anything amiss off hand.

Have you checked your Bolt's architecture against the "Done" bolt in the "Done" folder?

25. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Well, the "Done"Bolt is further then the point where I get the error message. It already has the capsule collider and the script. And the mesh collider has been removed from VFX, while that's not yet the case in my situation.

When I get the error message I don't have those yet.

Besides those two, the transform and the rigidbody are exactly the same.

Here's the Bolt, the VFX and the Done Bolt:
    hierarchy-bolt-errormessages.png hierarchy-vfx-errormessages.png donebolt.png

As you can see I still have a few steps to go until the Bolt is done.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  26. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Are you trying to play before it says so in the video?

It is possible to "test" something too early...

... but I'm grasping at straws.

I'm not in a place where I can do a quick test for a bit.

27. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

With these screenshots I have not yet "Tested" it. :( It's literaly the moment I add the rigidbody component to the Bolt that I get these error messages in the Console.

28. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Did you get those warning in Edit mode? Or Play mode?

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah - with the new edit to the images...

...you don't want a mesh collider on the child with a quad mesh on it.

Try removing the mesh collider with the Quad on it from the child VFX GameObject.

30. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Okay, that solved the problem. Did I miss a step before then, where we were supposed to remove the mesh collider? Cause I didn't add it. When you do Create -> 3d Object -> Quad, you get this:
    quadaddedasgameobject.png
    Only in the steps after the previous post do I have to remove the mesh collider from VFX and add a Capsule Collider to Bolt, according to the video :)

Oh, and I got the messages in Edit mode. :)

31. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

My memory is that we discuss removing the collider as it's automatically created!

32. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

In the video you say, once the rigidbody component is already added to the Bolt (after the VFX has already been added as a child):
    We need a collider to participate in collisions. Before we add one, we need to remove one. Click on VFX to show our Quad.

In the video you see this:
    VFXinvideobeforeremovingmeshcollider.png
    And there were no errormessage. :) Unlike what I already had.

That's why I asked if anything changed in Unity between the date of the video and the current version of Unity :D

33. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah - that could be a subtle change in the application... Hmm... I'll check that out and perhaps annotate it.

34. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Ah, good to know :) Well, I think I'm gonna finish this chapter tonight and continue with the tutorial's next chapters tomorrow. It's good to know this isn't a major something and that I can simply continue.

Oh, btw:

I assume you mean we create the collider in the process of the tutorial, since the Bolt doesn't have anything and we actually add the Capsule Collider to it?

35. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes. In the course of the tutorial, the quad's mesh collider should be removed and a capsule collider should be added, iirc, to the parent with the Rigidbody.

36. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Yep, it's indeed added to the parent (the Bolt).

Thanks for the help, @Adam Buckner !

37. Albey-Amakiir

Albey-Amakiir

Hello! In the Creating Hazards video, at 2:30, it says to hold the shift key to show drag handles on the capsule collider. But they don't show for me. Instead, it just allows the transform gizmo to move the object relative to the camera (which I think happened in the video, too). Is this something that's changed in newer versions of Unity, or have I got something set up wrong?

38. OboShape

OboShape

Morning Albey,

As far as I'm aware, the Shift key interaction with colliders has been removed in 4.6.
    but, all is not lost... this has been superceeded by the 'Edit Collider' button, due to the shift key being used for other interactions.

if you look at the capsule collider component in the inspector, you will see the edit collider button, clicking this gives you the same little square green handles that you can drag to resize collider. the button goes a darker grey when in edit mode.

hope that helps a bit.

ObO

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Whoops!

I should annotate that.

This was also to bring the 3D colliders into alignment with the 2D colliders, which are much more editable. The 2D colliders really required an "edit collider" button, as they were very fiddly with just a hot key command.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll try to get to it this week.

OboShape likes this.
  40. poetsflat

poetsflat

So, really newbish question here, but the tutorial calls for using a GUI text function, and the current version of unity only allows for UI text. as a result, when i try to associate the UI text to the GUI text reference for the score, it won't let me. can you clarify, or explain what I'm doing wrong?

41. OboShape

OboShape

Evening Poetsflat.

the GUIText has been superceeded by the new unity UI system, Adam is working on getting the tutorial updated to cater for this.

in the meantime to get you up and running, it has been discussed earlier in this thread, have a look at this page and some of the coding alterations http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/space-shooter-tutorial-q-a.222119/page-5
    ( a little bit up from the bottom, save you reading the whole lot)

to get a text box to appear on the screen, if you go to GameObject > UI > Text.

this will create a text box on screen within one of the new Canvas objects.
    do the same to create text boxes for your score restart etc..

press the 2D button at the top of the editor window (best to work in 2D mode with the new UI)
    double click your newly created Text object in the heirarchy (this will move your view so you can see it)
    then drag it around to where you want it, set your color, font etc...
    once your happy with its placement, press the 2D button again to go back to 3D mode in the editor. and double click the player in the heirarchy so see your play area

that basically creates the text object for you as you can see in the heirarchy, and you can follow on with the tutorial in conjunction with the comments on page 5 of this thread. (just up a few from the bottom of page 5)

also as a bit of light viewing/reading have a quick look through the learn section related to the new UI worth a look to fill in the gaps.
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/ui

any probs or queries, just shout or drop a PM :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  42. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Oboshape's post is here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/space-shooter-tutorial-q-a.222119/page-5#post-1884509

That link will take you directly to the post.

Essentially: UI Text is new. You can learn and use the new UI system.

Using GUIText: you can use GUIText, but there is no automated GameObject for it in the menu system. You will need to create a new Empty GameObject and use the add component button or the component menu to add a GUIText component. Then it will work as before and you can follow on as the tutorial expected.

OboShape likes this.
  43. poetsflat

poetsflat

thank you both. That helped a lot. I had figured it had to be an easy fix, but I've got next door to 0 experience to work with, so I'm still figuring it all out.

44. OboShape

OboShape

as long as you got the gist of my ramblings :)

We all start taking those first few steps somewhere, that's the great thing about this forum its chocked to the gunnels with info and a great community to boot..

45. marci4444

marci4444

Hi everyone!

I just finished, the space shooter tutorial and I wanted to create enemies, because there isn't any video about it I started to create them with following the files in the done folder. I've made the enemies and they exacly the same like in the done folder (but without "done_" parts). The enemy ships comes very vell but in a second when they appear, they explode. I can shoot them if I'm fast enough but I don't know what's the problem. The scrips are the same, so I don't think there will be the problem. Any ideas? :(

[EDIT]

I recognized the problem, it was the enemy bolt's tag. This is why boundary deleted both of them.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  46. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm glad you found the solution. I'm keeping the question and the solution here so people can see this problem and see your solution, in case they have the same issue!

Thanks for posting!

47. Artomes

Artomes

I just got through with space shooter(very fun tutorial btw) but I'm having an issue where my player ship is cloned after it makes contact with the asteroid so the original player is destroyed but now a clone takes it place which continues to happen every time I collide with the asteroids. Theirs no errors on console and that seems to be the only issue I'm having. Any feedback is well appreciated thanks.

48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Heh - that made me chuckle!

Infinite player ships!

Is there a chance you dragged the player ship into the slot meant for the explosion?

Or that the player ship has been entangled up with the explosion when you made the prefab?

49. Artomes

Artomes

haha yes i did thanks i thought i was some crazy complicated problem. thanks again i have a fully working game

50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yep! By declaring public GameObject someThing; and the later calling Instantiate (someThing); you will instantiate whatever GameObject you drag into the someThing slot in the inspector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.