Search Unity

Space Shooter Tutorial cannot add simplified mesh to player ship [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jshrek, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jshrek

jshrek

Hi

I have started going thru the Space Shooter beginner tutorial, but in the 3rd video it shows how to add a mesh collider to the player ship object. The default mesh collider used is the one in mesh renderer, but as it is to complex they recommend using the simplified vehicle_playerShip_collider in the models folder.

The problem is, when you try to drag this simplified collider into the "Mesh" field text box of the Mesh Collider, it will not accept it and does not change. the Mesh field text box should change to blue and let the new collider be dropped in, but it does not accept the file and does not change color (see attached pic).

Any ideas why it will not let me add this simplified collider?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jshrek

jshrek

Okay so thinking maybe the vehicle_playerShip mesh file is corrupted?

Can I download this file from anywhere else other than than asset store? Does anybody have a known working version of this file for me to try?

Thanks

3. jshrek

jshrek

And another note ... included in the assets that we download for this tutorial is a finished/done version of the project. When I open up that Done scene, the player also has the player_ship_collider for both the Mesh renderer and the Mesh collider.

I know it's just a tutorial, but am confused why I can't do this one step in the tutorial and want to know what the problem is.

4. jshrek

jshrek

SOLVED
    Okay, so not sure why it cannot be dragged and dropped like in the tutorial (maybe a Mac issue?), but if you click on the little dot beside, it opens up a file browser window and you navigate to the simple collider mesh and add it that way.

Thanks

5. nathanuxo

nathanuxo

I'm running on PC, but I'm having the same issue. However I have no option to navigate to the simple collider mesh once the window pops up. Any suggestions?

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, I have noticed that this tutorial has a number of errors in it, possibly due to engine upgrade:

1. You can't drag and drop mesh reference into inspector. You have to click the tiny little circle to the right of the inspector field. This is on PC and I haven't found any other options (@nathanuxo)
    2. The meshes aren't showing up at all in the Scene view.

7. entiat

entiat

Still a bug on latest version in April 2017. Running on Win10, latest everything. Cannot drag collider over to that field in the mesh collider inspector - need to hit little dot and navigate to it in the list.