Search Unity

Space Ship (Request Feedback)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by smurph, Feb 2, 2012.

1. smurph

smurph

Hi , I'm new to Unity. I have made this little space ship to put in the Unity Store. It came out at about 5000 polys, mostly because of the engines.
    I was thinking of doing a couple of different paint jobs for it but would it not also be better to provide the original photoshop file in the download so that a customer can turn off or add their own decals etc.. to the texture using layers?
    Also, the free version of Unity does not seem to do shadows, can I make renders in some other package to represent my asset?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. jake-gr

jake-gr

Looks nice, is a very stylized look though, so might not fit many games. Your modelling program might have some rendering built-in to allow better looking screenshots (but then its not going to accurately depict the unity quality.) Actually I would prefer seeing asset pics rendered with Unity, and without shadows, I think it shows off the quality of the textures better.

3. TheCasual

TheCasual

I like it , original to say the least.

4. HykCraft

HykCraft

The engines could definitely be toned down in polygons as they seem to have way too many iterations of sides, but otherwise, nice job.

Depends on what game engine you want to use, you always need to be in consideration of how many polys you will be using in-game and for all your models.

5. smurph

smurph

Thanks for the replies, I was able to remove about 1000 polys from the engines.

6. HykCraft

HykCraft

Nice!

7. wccrawford

wccrawford

Is it a space ship, or a plane? The wings and downward engines scream 'plane'. Only the single rear-facing engine could be used for thrust in space, which seems an awful waste.

8. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

I like the style. Reminds me of Ratchet and Clank kind of style.
    As for an asset to sell, I agree with some of the other posts; the style is unique enough to be interesting but perhaps too unique to be for anyone to use. It wouldn't fit as well in a game that didn't share that same artistic approach.

Otherwise, good model. Reduce the polys in the engines and you have a great model. :)

9. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I really like this. The engines can be lower poly, though. All in all, very well done!