Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

"Space" Open World / RPG Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sollthar, Oct 18, 2010.

1. yasirkula

yasirkula

I agree with Edocsil. Even I love Star Wars series, I played Star Wars KOTOR for a very short time just because it has turn based fights. Sorry but I hate Turn Based Fight, too. So this new update is a bad new for me :(

2. Blacklight

Blacklight

I'm with the others on this one, I abhor turn based combat. It really just kills the game for me. What I really want to see expanded on in a game is squad based combat. Having AI drones follow me and mindlessly pump out bullets and the same three one-liners is just downright annoying, and I'm yet to see a game that really focuses on making that element more interesting.

3. SevenBits

SevenBits

Just want to say that I love the look and feel of this game. Although, as others have pointed out, it does still need improvements.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

I like turn based, just gotta do it right so the player can go at his own pace. Kind of like the option of taking as much time as you want but being able to do things quick enough to keep the faster pace guys interested.

But, I also like Chess and sniper games.. not everyone likes the option of being able to go slow.

5. Sollthar

Sollthar

Yeah, you can never make everyone happy no matter what approach you take. :)
    I've yet to figure out a way to incorporate the skill stats and tactical depth of turn based combat into an environment that also feels somewhat real time. I'm not a fan of turn based combat per se either, but I'm not against it (love playing civilization and look forward to the new Xcom game). Haven't settled for a style yet either. I'd love to keep it real time, but I don't know how to incorporate the role play aspects into this. I just generally don't want to create a shooter. This was not and is not supposed to be a shooter.

6. Zomby138

Zomby138

I actually like turn based systems as long as the options I have are very distinct and meaningful, and I can play fast. A lot of older JRPGs give turn based combat a bad name IMO as the best option is often extremely obvious, turning it into an experience not dissimilar to a data entry job.

“Puzzle Strike” is an incredibe example of a good turn based game IMO.

7. Sollthar

Sollthar

Yeah, I completely agree on this. I'm currently experimenting with a blend. Normal real time control with classic aiming and enemies moving in real time, but once a "fire" issue is ordered, the film changes into cinematic mode and then displays a quick "cinematic" of what happens when you fire and if you hit or not, depending on your statistics.

Trying everything. :)

8. Zomby138

Zomby138

That sounds like an interesting idea, have you used the VATS system in the new fallout games? (I didn't like it)

9. Sollthar

Sollthar

Yeah, I didn't like it much either. Will see how this hybrid turns out.

10. Edocsil

Edocsil

Oh I agree! Just making it a generic affair would just be adding it to the heap that already exists (though the other features of the game would make it stand out on its own IMHO). I guess my non-like of TBC is more from it usually being presented in a jarring manner and taking me out of the game. It being slower is not an issue for me, as I like games like Civ, Total War, Sniper games.

Of course you will be doing it how you want but maybe you could take a cue from Fallout (and just modify the system) where a HIT or MISS is based on the player skill but the damage is based on a roll. So, if a gun does anywhere from 5-30 dmg, one HIT might only do 5 dmg while one does 30 (obviously the chance would depend on skill values).

*shrugs* That's just me. There are countless people that love the classic TBC. I always dreamed if I ever got that far in a game I would make it have an option of having combat be real-time or turn-based. Problem is.. that means basically two games so it isn't really that feasible probably hahaha.

I will still definitely be keeping an eye on this and, who knows, maybe when it is released it will be the first TBC game I try in a long while!

11. yasirkula

yasirkula

Forgive my curiosity but is this game currently WIP or is it cancelled? Even though it will use turn based combat system, the game looked very good so far.

12. Sollthar

Sollthar

It's still work in progress and it will NOT be turn-based. :)

I still need time to figure out a proper gameplay plan and how to actually code it. But I'll definately keep at it.

13. virror

virror

Yay, still alive : D

14. cynel

cynel

i wish i can use your assets to make a prototype for my game

15. sirenpro

sirenpro

Glad to see this is still up and going though.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  16. SirWaffles

SirWaffles

I wish you good luck on the project. Looks really nice

17. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thank you all very much! I have a final gameplay plan now and have startet to rebuild most of the code from zero to make it more effective and apply the things I've learned so far.

I'll use the upcoming holidays to work on the game 24/7 so I should have some new updates very very soon!

18. virror

virror

Hurray : )

19. ZJP

ZJP

@Sollthar
    This is my first post about your project and believe it, i'm VERY happy it's still alive ;)

You sending a message to all of us : "It's possible...". Many thanks...

20. TheRealLeandro

TheRealLeandro

I liked one of your videos on youtube. It showed a combat update (slower, tactical combat). Add in some leaning (to the sides, from behind cover) and dodging animations and you are set. Any hopes for space exploration? Like in the first mass effect, but more random (Random planet with random generated enemies and "dungeons"/ghost cities/bases and derelict ships in space). Also, will there be a crafting system? So far, I think this game has a solid animation style. Maybe, add in character customization. It would be great to be able to land on a lifeless rocky planet and build a mining base. The resources like minerals and stuff could be used to produce ahips for your fleet and weapons and other equipment to equip your vehicles/ships/goons with.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  21. cynel

cynel

did you make the assets im trying to make a quick prototype

22. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Yes he did. Cynel, you spend so much time searching for assets you won't even be using in your final game you probably could have already blocked out what you are aiming for. Seriously.

23. yasirkula

yasirkula

Is this project still alive?

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Gives off a very Mass Effect style of gameplay. Definitely not a bad thing, and it looks just as good as StarWars KOTOR in some places.
    Would love to play this!

25. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

look cool

26. cynel

cynel

Well excuse me for Asking :mad:

27. Sollthar

Sollthar

Hey! Yes, the project is still alive though I'm being covered in other work for the last couple of months. Since this is a completely "doing this mainly for me" learning project, I have to keep it aside.

I do currently redesign it to a more XCOM / Star Command style feel.

28. yasirkula

yasirkula

Nice to hear that. Good luck!

29. hellcaller

hellcaller

thanx God it's still alive!

30. ZJP

ZJP

Any news?

31. thegamekid

thegamekid

Can please you post your email ID :)

32. thegamekid

thegamekid

I am a big fan of your game. I am not coder or a modeller but can make your game popular by making a free forum
    and post it on my website. I can also make a mediafire website to download this game.Hoping for a positive reply.;)

33. thegamekid

thegamekid

34. snakehelix

snakehelix

where can you test this out??
    plz help really interested

35. thegamekid

thegamekid

Hello,

Thanks for replying. I know it is very hard to work alone. I can help you beta test your game and can also provide you modeller, sound engineers and programmers. I am started a new studio called STUDIO X recently with 14 members and more. I really like your game and would help you for free. Our email id and forum link is.

Email:
    Email:thegamekid8@gmail.com

Forum:http://unitypcgamer.freeforums.org/

Thanks!

36. thegamekid

thegamekid

I just wanted to know whether you are or not the creator of the game

37. Sollthar

Sollthar

It's been a very long while, but I've recollected all the things from the project and decided to give it another go. This is still something I do in my spare time - but it's still in my mind all the time. :)

So here's a new update video:

38. yasirkula

yasirkula

Still following ^^

DerrickMoore likes this.
  39. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Intrigued by the story the trailer is showing however it seems like nearly everything in the update video is slow motion - due to poor optimization. It could be a number of factors, recording software, hardware, un-optimized gameplay, but I doubt viewers will view it for anything other than poor optimization.

Friendly suggestion - if the 'lag' is due to un-optimized systems that should be a top priority before creating more promotional material.
    From a personal gamer perspective, I'd play the game to experience the interesting story, but if the game looked unoptimized as it does now in the update video - I'd pass on the experience.

40. ZJP

ZJP

+1

Good news. :cool:

41. hellcaller

hellcaller

it's about time)))

42. Ayrik

Ayrik

This is amazing. I'm so glad to see you working on this again! I worry about it being overly ambitious but I'm looking forward to you pulling this off!

43. Cybertec_1964

Cybertec_1964

Very excited about what I've seen so far. Things look very interesting.
    Please don't let scope creep paralyze you, or derail your plan. ;)

I believe that you have a good vision . I would love to play through a demo, and later pay for a game.
    Stay enjoyable!

44. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thank you very much for your interest and kind message. As I've started this 11 years ago and have a full time job as well as seeing how the game industry developed in the last years and I'm still a complete one-man show, I hope I will be able to pull something enjoyable off. Would love to have it play-tested as soon as I have a somewhat playable alpha-version ready.

Again thank you for the encouraging words!