Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Space" Open World / RPG Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sollthar, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Blacklight

Blacklight

Its a real shame to hear that. I really hope you come back to this one day, you got so much done and you were doing so well.

Good job, mate, and good luck!

2. hellcaller

hellcaller

really sorry to hear it....

3. joeboy30

joeboy30

Really sorry to hear that, keep hanging on in there man

4. TheAll

TheAll

Hope you get everything straightened out. Take care.

5. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks a lot guys.

6. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

that sucks man, this whas one project that looked very promesing, i hope you will keep on working on it on day.

7. Essal

Essal

I agree with eisobax -
    this was one of the few projects here on the forums that i regularly checked in on, because its simply amazing what you made considering you are one guy. Sad to hear the project has been shut down, and I hope we see more of you here on the forums!
    If you ever start on it again, i'll be following your progress again!

8. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

Dang, I was really looking forward to this.

9. NomadKing

NomadKing

Sad to hear that you've stopped work on this Sollthar, I was quite looking forward to having a poke around with what I'd seen - it looked quite promising.

Maybe in a few months you'll be struck a moment of clarity, and have an epiphany to help you overcome your writer/coders block. It would be a waste to never finish this :)

10. JMANMARINO

JMANMARINO

This game looks fantastic

11. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

That's a real pitty man. You were doing so well. Isn't there any chance for a come-back? Maybe you need some help to keep it going until you can come back to it?

12. n321

n321

As amazing as this project was, it would be a same if it just died. Maybe (and this is just a thought), instead of finishing it to release as a full game right away, you should use what you have done so far, and what you have learned and discovered while creating it, to create some type of training to sell in the asset store. Im not suggesting that you give your assets or code away, but maybe refocus your efforts on sharing knowlege while also making some good money off of it.... I mean, look at 3dBuzz and Eat3d and such, they make grat money on that kind of stuff while also helping others. I know I would buy it!

Then, once you have some cash coming in from the training, use the extra money to pay for other team members to begin working on your project again with you. Its a decent business plan, use your knowlege for a sponge product to bring in some cash, and then put a team together with that extra cash....Just an idea to help you keep your dreams alive.... :)

13. Eiznek

Eiznek

I went through 19 pages looking to see an Update for this Specific game. Sucks that he stopped making looked very good.. Should of released what he had in a demo would of been fun to mess with it.

14. Cryptnar

Cryptnar

Looks good I saw this on youtube before I saw the forum post

15. Sollthar

Sollthar

My life has stabilized a good bit in the last weeks, so I've decided to pick this project back up! Expect some updates on the game as soon as I have something new to show!

Thanks everyone again for the kind words and continuous support!

16. bgivenb

bgivenb

good to hear that :D

17. djc-smithers

djc-smithers

I'm so happy. I was so mad when you said you were dropping the game.

18. joeboy30

joeboy30

Great news

19. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

20. Blacklight

Blacklight

21. _Petroz

_Petroz

That's great news! This project is looking really amazing, especially for a solo project. Best of luck!

22. Airship

Airship

keep it up!

23. Ratchet

Ratchet

This project is amazing , great news :) !
    I hope it will end on steam !

24. virror

virror

Wow, this game sure has great potential!
    Looks so good and seems very solid already.
    Don't worry if people will find the game fun or not, the important thing is that you do what you think is good/fun.
    Also, reading the comments here, i don't think you need to worry about that at all anyway ; )

25. PolyMad

PolyMad

I'm glad of it... you can't trash one year and a half of work like that.
    Why don't you try to find some cooperation, if that will give you some motivation more?

26. Zomby138

Zomby138

This is great news! :) congrats Sollthar. Looking forward to seeing whatever updates you post.

27. hellcaller

hellcaller

great news!

28. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice,wish you good luck!

29. Cdunn

Cdunn

wow this is really great! Does the character only use hand to hand, melee, and guns to fight or does he perhaps have powers like telekenisis or somthing like in Mass Effect, Star Wars, ect...

30. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Awesome. Nice to hear.

31. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks so much for your great support guys! It's really deeply appreciated.

So far, I don't plan on using too much "fantasy" elements and try to ground my game as much in realistic, technical sci fi as a can. So no mind reading, telekinesis or any of that. There won't even be "aliens" with funny foreheads, rippled noses or blue skin.
    It's more "human race in the distant future" kind of sci fi.

32. djc-smithers

djc-smithers

I thought that the aliens in mass effect were kind of cheesy. I like the way your going with this.

33. djc-smithers

djc-smithers

What is the name of this game any way

34. duke

duke

So like avatar without the blue chimps. Love it.

35. Grimchii

Grimchii

This is excellent news, comrade.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-VMTIPwk74

Unable to get the video into thumbnail size, Fail. so ill just leave the link here ;p

36. Sollthar

Sollthar

Never give up! Never surrender!

Hehehehehehe

Cybertec_1964 likes this.
  37. Eiznek

Eiznek

Glad to hear your back in the run with this project. Always had my eye on it.

38. yasirkula

yasirkula

Sorry to bother you with my stupid question, but is there a webplayer version of your game in this topic or is it me who can't see it?

By the way, your game is COOL! Really, it's just like a combination of Mass Effect and Mount Blade. But there are some little issues I didn't enjoy much. For example, having 10 people in your crew doesn't require to have all of them behind you, trying to catch with you always :S . For example, in Mass Effect you have a big group but in every mission you choose 2 crew members with you. I think you can use a system like this for this issue: I don't know if you played Assasin's Creed 2 Revelations but in this game when you recruit some Assasin students for you, whenever you saw an enemy and then pressed 'T', they appears from sideways, behind you, top of houses etc. places that you can't see in your position and they helps you to defeat your enemy. In your game you can press a key (for example 'T') and a panel appears at the screen and there you can select the crew members you want with you (you can select only 2-3 members) and the selected ones appears from some unseen locations, the other members that WERE with you disappears by walking into some unseen locations. And in the battles, most or all of your crew members would come to help you automatically.

Another little issue about your game is; you can make a minimap with borders and also you can make it not rectangular but circular.

And an advice: You can make an algorithm that reads all of the dialogues from a file. With this adjustment, people who enjoyed your game will have an option of translating your game into their own languages.

Finally, I wanna ask you if you have played Mass Effect and Assasin's Creed. Sorry about my English, that may not be perfect but it is okay I think. Your game is just looking perfect, hope to see your game in my Program Files folder :)

39. hellcaller

hellcaller

Sollthar u should use a kickstarter for your game!

40. djc-smithers

djc-smithers

when is the next update I cant wait

41. flavur

flavur

can't wait for the next update this game is the reason why I got into making games, glad to hear you picked it back up.

42. henrique-rafael

henrique-rafael

very good *.*
    :eek:

43. Sollthar

Sollthar

Aaaaaand an UPDATE!

After much much time off from the game and constant thought about the final direction I want to take, I have decided to restructure a lot of the aspects of gameplay and move away completely from the arcade style I began with. While my procedural story generation idea with combining strategical elements remains intact I've decided to also structure the combat system in a more "strategy / rpg / adventure" way.

Main decision I made was to completely change the approach to the player generation to a more RPG'ish one, with several skills and character traits the player can choose from and develop which will directly impact the storylines, possibilities and reactions from NPC's.
    To make this work and the entire thing as strategic as I wanted, I will move away entirely from the real-time action approach and switch combat to a turn based model, so the skills can have a larger impact and it feels more like the decisions you made in the past and make now matter.
    I will also take the approach of a larger crew but with a selected party of two which accompany you through your missions.

Soon there's summer holidays and I plan to spend a great deal of time on developing these new structures and work them out on paper and then build a basically entirely new prototype based on that.

Off to a new beginning!

44. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Nice! Good luck.

45. virror

virror

Yay! Great to see that this project is still alive ; )

46. Cnaff

Cnaff

Woo an update! Good luck with the game!

47. LaneFox

LaneFox

48. Fenix3D

Fenix3D

49. Edocsil

Edocsil

Aw man. Not to be discouraging of course but this kills it for me. I just cannot stand TBC. Dunno why. Oh well!

50. Sollthar

Sollthar

Heh, that's fine Edocsil. I know that the mass market today likes fast paced arcade actain. It's just that I'm a little tired of it and it all feels a bit same same to me so I'm trying to find alternative models. Still pondering about finding a nice way to combine the strengths of both. But it's not easy. I just notice that I don't feel like creating "3rd person arcade action game 1971986429164" without a stamp and identity of my own.