Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

"Space" Open World / RPG Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sollthar, Oct 18, 2010.

1. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Looks great! Kind of reminds me of FireFly for some reason. One of my favorite shows/universes ever.

2. Koropokuruh

Koropokuruh

Looks really good!! The zone transitions reminds me of SW: Knights of the Old Republic.
    Really good job mixing RPG with Action Game Elements.

3. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks! Firefly is also one of my favorite TV shows. So I do indeed take that as a big compliment, even though I didn't aim to go down that style. :D

4. asnane

asnane

good work. if mouths could be animated, it'll be fine.

5. Sollthar

Sollthar

Mouths are animated now! I've managed to implement a first facial expression version which adds a lot to the dialogue. Sweet.

And I'm working on new indoor scenerys trying hard to finish my first demo planet.

6. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Sweet! i prbly missed this but do you make the textures?

7. Sollthar

Sollthar

Yeah. They're a mix of reference pictures, modified bought ones, completely self drawn ones and heavily photoshoped images.

8. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Once your done with that you should add on deploy-able turrets :] just a little something that would be cool

9. Sollthar

Sollthar

Already have that. :)

10. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

11. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

moving mouths were much needed. great job, you're quite the dynamo, Marco .

12. Sollthar

Sollthar

I've mainly used the last days to optimize my mission code and implement some more content. The game is already rather playable and most of the basic code is now in place.

Motivation is still high, allthough bumpy since sometimes I'm just frustrated that the game doesn't look the way I want and I have to keep reminding myself of the fact that this is a one-man project and my first ever computer game and I have to keep my expectations realistic. But you know how it is. Hehe.

Anyways, work is moving on and it shouldn't be too long until a playable alpha-version to gather some outside feedback. I expect to have a very early alpha demo sometime this year. Obviously with strongly reduced content. But I guess I need to see if it's worth to keep continuing or if it's just so bad I better leave it be, hehe.

13. CarbonTech

CarbonTech

Whoops, thought this was the "What are you working on" thread since I'm so used to seeing your nice environments there. Anyways, good work on the lighting in the above picture! I did notice that there's a giant seam in the orange and black striped area - might be a good idea to cover it up with some more grime :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  14. Sollthar

Sollthar

Erm, I suppose this was meant for another thread?

But cool anyways. :)

15. Blacklight

Blacklight

There are two games I look forward too, Skyrim and yours.

It never turns out the way you expect, but that's life for you. How did you want it to look?

16. Sollthar

Sollthar

Haha, thanks!

I guess I just keep wanting it to look better, play better, offer more... It does look better everytime I improve something. But there's just so much to improve on - always. I assume it's a normal phase of a bit of frustration when you hit on the boundaries of what you're actually capable to do and work on every single aspect of a game. so reach that border everywhere.

But I did let a friend play it for a while and he played it for over an hour and enjoyed it a lot, despite the fact there's not that much to do in it yet. So I guess that's a good sign.

17. Blacklight

Blacklight

I've got huge amounts of unfinished, unused models and projects abandoned when I realized I'd bitten off more than I could chew. Just be glad that you can do what you need to, that you are improving and that you've got the motivation to push through to the end. That's more than some of us have.

18. Sollthar

Sollthar

If anyone is interested in giving the current build a play and give me some feedback, please contact me. I've got the basic ground-mechanics in place, as well as a few storyline possibilites and I'd love to get some feedback on it to see where to continue, before I start working on more content and opening the world to space and different planets.

19. synok

synok

There is just a few things that bugged me when I saw the gameplay video;

The textures seem a little solid. I don't know if this is just me having a different taste or expecting too much from a game that looks this serious.

Another thing that bugged me is the voice. Grab a bunch of friends to work with you so you got different people voice-acting. Also, using different filters in Audacity can be a good thing to remove background noise, clicks etc. I just heard it when you was pronouncing alot of "P"s and "S".

Yet again, a game is hard to make picture-perfect, but I really like it besides these two things. I would like to see more from it! :)

A foot-note might be that the run-around-and-talk-to-people thing reminded alot of Shenmue, which is great news!

20. Sollthar

Sollthar

Everything you see is a work in progress and will change a lot during the process. It already has developed quite a bit since I started this.

As for expectations, I'm not a big budget company with 50+ artists, I'm a one-man hobby developer doing his very first game.
    So my game won't look, nor feel, nor play like the next 100 million AAA title. It won't be. Ever. :)
    But of course, I'll try to give it the best shot I can and I'm happy about every input I get.

The final version will have different voiceactors for the npcs. At the moment it's just me and just quick records with a substandard mike, mainly to check text and audio links. I already got a script in place that at least pitches the sounds differently for some variation. I'm also a bit tired of hearing my voice all the time. :D

21. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

ooo, sign me up! You have my email, Marco, yes?

22. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks everyone who's contacted me so far. I already got some really really helpful tips and a huge buglist to attack this week. Hehe. Oh boy. But it can only get better from here! :)

Thanks again everyone who's taken the time.

23. mehware

mehware

Sollthar, you should consider using FaceFX Studio Professional with your characters to do facial animation when talking if they have a bone rig.

http://facefx.com/ - great guys, great tech, great support.

I do that in one of my games here...

Shooter's Alley Facial Animation

It as simple as running the audio through their studio, exporting an xml file, and importing the animation in Unity!

- Matt

24. MERKB

MERKB

Just stopping by to say keep up the unspeakably amazing work Sollthar! You're the Carmack and Romero of our generation!

25. Sollthar

Sollthar

Hah, thank you!

Also thank you for the tip with FaceFX. I've had a look at it and it does look cool. I tried to come up with my own solution and still do, but if that doesn't go anywhere I might consider getting FaceFX. If I can figure it out. :)

26. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks again to cominu and Blacklight28 whose feedbacks have both helped me a lot. Today I spent the majority of my day bug-hunting and sometimes, thanks to these two, re-thinking my basecode and I came up with a few tweaks and new ideas that help me to build and integrate new content much faster and easier.

Once I'm happy with the basic code, I can start to add storyline content. At the moment, the game offers about 30 small storylines, Which is a start, but obviously nowhere near the amount I'll need to make the game work the way I want.

Again, one step closer. :)

27. Sollthar

Sollthar

I've decided to publish an open pre-alpha version. It's nowhere near finished in any way, has bugs,oddities and missing animations all over the place, only offers a few little things to do, but I'd appreciate any feedback or bugs you guys can spot in this current build. There's still a couple of things to see and do already.

http://www.nightcast.net/demo.html

WASD to move
    E to talk / interact
    F opens the inventory (with Q, you can unequip and re-equip)
    C the (ugly) map
    R reloads
    SPACE crouches and SHIFT runs.

There's only the webplayer version and full screen is disabled. ESCAPE opens another ugly menu though where you can choose a higher or lower quality. Standard is "good", which makes especially the grass look ugly. :)

28. ivanzu

ivanzu

Only if this game had better graphics it could become popular like oblivion and i think that there is a pretty high chance for becoming popular between indie games .I really like the game is it going to be free??

29. Sollthar

Sollthar

Graphics are pretty much the upper limit of what I can do. So if no one gives me money to hire AAA graphics artists, that's what it'll be. :)

I've no idea what I'll do with the final game when it's done. I do it mainly for me because I find it fun. :)
    So who knows what the future might bring.

30. LaneFox

LaneFox

Keep plugging away at the coding and make a solid foundation and you'll get better artists willing to help out. With all the fallouts and 1 weekers out there the consistency and reliability you have with your project goes a looooong way.

31. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks. If I'm going to go for better artists, I'll have to go for better coders just as well though - my coding is probably as bad and complicated as it gets. I'm still amazed I even got it to run like that considering a year ago I tried to find out how to write an "if" statement as my first line of code. :D
    But I do have ideas and the stamina to see them through. Stubborness has never been my problem, fortunately. ;P

32. LaneFox

LaneFox

Well it looks really good so far, even the graphics are above par for most of the other RPG projects ive seen floating around. I was pretty surprised when I was playing through it and talking to everyone, then got myself beat down, then put in prison! A little bit incohesive sometimes but definitely nothing to sweat over.

Kudo's for taking it this far, it's looking excellent.

33. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Looks brilliant Sollthar, keep it up man ^_^

34. hellcaller

hellcaller

Definitely the best unity RPG! Love it! Waiting for spaceships to arrive)))
    P.S. Any hint about npc pathfinding ?

35. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

This is great! I really enjoy playing it, although I can't seem to find the man to collect from in the west of the main city,

36. scarpelius

scarpelius

Very nice considering is one man effort. There are some bugs, but considering is an alpha is understandable :)
    Also i am amazed what you can put together after a year when you started to learn programming.

37. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks a lot everyone! Glad it doesn't seem to completely suck. heh. :)

I use my own steering script. They choose a Vector3 to go to or a gameobject to aim for and then steer towards it. Should they meet a wall, they'll steer around it. Works great in open environments. Not so great in closed levels and interiors with lots of hallways. Yet.

More then a few I expect. If you notice anything specific, I'd appreciate if you could tell me. I've already heard of bugs coming up I've never seen because people do play it in different ways. :)

38. kerters

kerters

Your game is very nice and fun to play so far, reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies from atmosphere and interior.
    Only the camera perspective feels not right, you could add a toggle button for 3 different settings, and the crosshair should only be active when the weapon is equipped.
    So far well done ! :)

39. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

This is truly amazing, I've just done small crap and just been trying to learn better things about games. It would be great if you would let me tag along with your project and maybe i can help you and also you help me. Thanks, you can message me if you would like me to tag along.

40. CrazySi

CrazySi

WOW this is really good, would definately play. Are you intending to be able to interact with every character and most objects?

Some issues:
    I got stuck very easily in terrain.
    Can I walk a bit faster.
    Can I have an FPS view.
    Some of the dialogue and cutscenes could use a bit of work, I found some of it very abrupt and not fitting in with what I was doing.

41. scarpelius

scarpelius

Well i pressed Esc at some point and an game quality select interface come up and then I couldn't get out of there.

42. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks for the motivating feedback so far. It's been very helpful!

So far, my buglist is this:

- camera further away
    - potential switch to FPS
    - Q Button (Equip) doesn't always work properly
    - increase walking and running speed
    - Fix terrain so you don't get stuck
    - able reloading while in movement
    - check colliders

graphics and animation improvements are secundary at this time and optional. Just as things that are on my To Do list anyways like more interactive items, changes to the dialogue system, more storylines, adapted cutscene system etc.

Everything else you can spot is much appreciated. I'll leave this build online for a while.

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time!

43. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Everything you have is amazing so far dude

2 thumbs up

44. diddykonga

diddykonga

Hey i was playing this game a few days ago and forgot to mention a bug i found, the bug was that when you went to try and buy medical supplies from the medic, you got stuck in the shop menu and couldnt get out without restarting.

45. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

How do I block during hand to hand combat?

46. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks for that diddykonga. Didn't spot that one yet.

You can't block so far, you can only evade.

47. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

Okay, how do I evade?

48. Sollthar

Sollthar

By pressing A or D eg left and right.

49. Alvarus

Alvarus

Looking really good! I died after being ambushed by quite a few people near the abandoned factory...didn't manage to get a weapon. I ended up at the local medic, but the camera kept zooming out and the character kept laying down and then sitting up.

Really impressive that you did all this by yourself!

50. Vesperugo

Vesperugo

Hey Dude!! Looks great what you *ve done yet.

I want to start a open World Space shooter projekt too!
    But first i want to collect some expirence in creating such big worlds.

May u need help in a few things? Modelling maybe?

Greetz!