Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

"Space" Open World / RPG Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sollthar, Oct 18, 2010.

1. bgivenb

bgivenb

Its better to try and fail then never try at all IMO

2. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Its been done Sollthar, but amnesia appears to be rampant in the game industry. Doh it again!

3. Trouch

Trouch

Yeah wow this looks amazing, you could try pass it off for an ipad game maybe ( i dont know )

Looks like an awesome full world RPG adventure with an awesome story, but! is jammed packed with action (and its an FPS-RPG!, very rare)

Keep up the good work!
    (FPS-RPG is what i wish i could create in the future)

4. Sollthar

Sollthar

Not sure if it would run on an ipad. I'd have to do a lot of optimizations I guess. It's aimed to be a desktop game.

And it's actually 3rd person, allthough with a very close perspectice that makes it play almost like an FPS.

5. Blacklight

Blacklight

It's good to see this project hasn't been dropped. Keep up the good work, I will be waiting for the next update.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  6. Sollthar

Sollthar

Coding and designing my inventory slots as well as they buying and selling system, which works nicely already!

The player has 3 weapon and item slots. Those are reserved for items you can directly interact with like weapons, scanners, tools etc.
    So if you go out on a mission you'll have to think about what to bring. There's no room for everything.

Then there's the 8 objects slots which are reserved for small things the player can carry around but not directly interact with - food, letters, pads, resources, metals, that kind of thing.

All of them have an inherent financial worth, but how much you actually get for them depends on a lot of factors.

7. Sollthar

Sollthar

New asset modelling:

And a special thanks to charliesamways for helping me out also! He's got some cool stuff comming up as well.

8. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Wow very cool, those don't even look like 3D models, they look more like painted design illustrations.

9. Blacklight

Blacklight

They had a similar effect on me too.

They still look brilliant.

10. Sollthar

Sollthar

Heh, that's my texture style. Lots of the textures are painted in photoshop or massively modified in photoshop. Hence the look. :)

11. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Hey I like very much your work at this game!

This is the kind of game I would like to play on a PC a mix of RPG/ADVENTURE/FPS with also space wars ? Am I right ?
    The video is very impressive, please keep up the good work!

12. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

Your texturing remonds me of Half-Life. And that's a good thing.

13. bgivenb

bgivenb

Wow. Very impressive video, I cant wait to try it!

14. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it'll be a blend between RPG, Action and Adventure and space wars. That's the general idea. :)

15. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

This is quite a piece of work for a Unity game, nicely done. If you can get the character animations to be more fluid and realistic (and an upgrade to the models themselves wouldn't be a bad idea, either) then you've got a winner on your hands.

I would like to also add that your use of lighting in the environments is quite nice, and the lens flares add atmosphere. The art style reminds me of an indie play on Mass Effect.

Otherwise, keep improving on the AI and gameplay, and I have no complaints whatsoever. This is a great example of what indie developers can really do if they believe firmly enough that they're just as good as the AAA developers with deep pockets.

16. Sollthar

Sollthar

Two more screenshots from the current build.

Been working on the content for the last few days, which takes the most time. Currently, I'm working on the Rebel story-arc, where the player can join - or betray - a handful or rebels leaning up against the current regime of the planet. Up to the point where it comes to the ultimate showdown between the faction in charge and a newly built rebel army. And you can fight on either side, depending on what is more of use to you.

17. Blacklight

Blacklight

More brilliant looking work by Solthar, why am I not surprised? Can't wait to play it. :D

Keep up the good work!
    -Blacklight

18. KarelA

KarelA

Hey Sollthar

I recently discovered a good game for myself. It is called "Mount Blade Warband" The setting is in medieval age and i think that it may similar game mechanics.
    You can recruit troops, take over castles and do whatever you please.

These guys managed to sell this game on Steam and they are pretty successful. I see no reason why you should not sell this game. It looks brilliant and have some innovative ideas.

If you have time i suggest to check out Mount Blade demo and maybe you get some inspiration and ideas :)

19. Sollthar

Sollthar

Heh, actually, Mount and Blade is a big inspiration already. Loved playing it. But I also want to handle a lot of elements rather differently.

20. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks!

Just finished with the Building up on Death Rock mountain, which is going to be a pirate / outlaw hideout. Here's some impressions of that location:

Now it'll be a bit more quiet again with info since my prolongued weekend is over and work calls again.

21. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

I don't like how the characters move (like at the start, where that dude got out of the bed) and how they all look like clones of each other. It would be nice if you put more detail on that. On the other hand, it looks fantastic!!

22. Sollthar

Sollthar

Characters only have some basic work done to them, you're correct. The animations were still very early when I recorded the video, still are. I'm sure I should get some more out of them once I focus on that aspect, which will be one of the last things to focus on for me.

23. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

Hey, you're a million times better than I am. You call yourself new when I can't even script a moving block. >:/
    Good work. I hope to play this soon. (Is it online?)

24. Sollthar

Sollthar

Hah, thanks. I'm working towards a playable alpha-version to get some feedback, but that won't be happening before end of 2011 or so I'd think. The game is a single player game intended for download, maybe a webversion (allthough the webplayer currently is roughly 100 MB. 75 MB of which are voiceover soundfiles for the speech, heh. Might need to find away around that should it become a playable browser game.

25. BloodWraith86

BloodWraith86

Wow, that is awesome. Keep it up, can't way for it to release! :)

26. roleplayinggamegames

roleplayinggamegames

This looks amazing.

27. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Holycow this is impressive. Are you making this all by yourself?

28. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks!

Yeah, so far, I'm doing it all by myself. Except for a couple of building models which are modelled by Charlie Samways, but textured by me.

29. online|offworld

online|offworld

Hey Sollthar,

Just wanted to say what an awesome job you've done. I think you'll find there are a lot of people here (ok, at least me) who are here because we always wanted to play games like this but you don't see very many like it around so you figure you'll just have to build it yourself.

I have a couple of suggestions : first, everything looks awesome except the animations which are a bit ordinary. Have you thought about getting a kinect and using that to make a bunch of admittedly rough but more lifelike animations for the actors?

And second, can I suggest you play with the idea of making the game (and story) moddable (maybe by way of xml files or something). In particular I'm thinking of how many times multiplied the game play I've gotten out of oblivion is because of all the mods at tesnexus and such sites... (note that they managed this without having to make their base product open source).

30. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thank you very much for your kind words and good suggestions! Yeah, I pretty much make a game I would enjoy to play and hope, others will too. I guess I'll find out if that's the case once I'm done. :)

You're right, the animations are very basic at the moment - just as the character models. I can't put a detailed focus on everything at once so I'm currently trying to get the gameplay working, interesting and fun - then I'll begin to do detail touches and maybe even replace entire models and animations.
    A motion capture device would be fantastic and I definately have to investigate further to see what kind of cost effective possibilities there are and if I can actually use them properly. So far, I've not had time to do so.

Modability is something that hasn't even occured to me. Interesting idea. I think my problem though - which is obvious when you look at my code - is that I know enough to make it work somewhat the way I want, but when it comes to detailed coding knowledge, I fail miserably. My current speech script actually uses a script with variables and all the dialogue is saved directly within that script. So in order to add things, you would have to directly change the script file. You'd probably laugh if you saw how most of my game works with "if" statements, variables and really basic commands... :)

I'm really trying to hard to get it to a point where it's playable. Everything else comes after that.

But I will definately keep your suggestions in mind, they're valid points!

31. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

The spaceship mode really, really impresses me.
    The trailer is good, with the dramatic music although, it goes on a downside when you see the character weirdly move out of his bed. Like I said before, you could work more deeply on animation.
    Either way, good luck! I'm really excited to play the spaceship mode! :D

32. Blacklight

Blacklight

Just out of curiosity, are you using any kind of path finding for your AIs?

33. online|offworld

online|offworld

oh yeah, agree 100% :)

34. Sollthar

Sollthar

You'll probably be disappointed by the first alpha then EpicTwist, cause the space part isn't playable yet and I doubt it'll be for a while. I am currently focusing on planet gameplay.

I am not using pathfinding, I'm using a selfdevelopped obstacle avoidance which does the trick rather fine. The AI choses a target object and tries to get to it. Should it meet an object or wall on the way, it'll find a way around it. Works in abput 90% of all cases. Pathfinding is a tad too high for me at this point, especially in a terrain that big with both large outside and interior parts.

35. Astero

Astero

Hey great project over here ! :cool:

Apparently, you have some good skills in game making !

If you need help for massive modeling or level design or something like that, tell me ! (I love sci-fi stuff ! and 3D modelling too :rolleyes:)

Good luck man !

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  36. cupsster

cupsster

nice avatar Astero :D

37. Astero

Astero

Thanks cup, it's Shodan from system shock 2 game

38. Sollthar

Sollthar

New character models arriving. The citizen pack with several texture variations both for clothing and for the face. Finally. Pretty happy with them and certainly an improvement over the last ones. Predominant citizen color is brown, as you can see. I'm trying to keep groups more or less within a color palette so the player can easily spot who's who.
    It's been tough but as always, I learn a lot trying to get it better and better, which is cool.

The chars have 800 polygons and use 12 bones, which isn't much. So I can have a lot of them running around without being too performance hungry even on lower end computers.

It's getting there... Slowly, but one step at the time. :)

39. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

They look awesome :) The third from the left looks like Dermot O'Leary ^_^ The one furthest to the left reminds me of... whats he called :/ Ill remember soon

40. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Mars needs women.

41. Sollthar

Sollthar

Women are on the "to do" list. :)

So far, my game is a testosterone fest.

42. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

That's what she said.

43. cupsster

cupsster

yeah I used it while ago for nearly half the year or so ;)

@Sollthar use more space on clothes.. looks quite uniform to me

44. Sollthar

Sollthar

Finally I've been able to record a couple of proper in-game scenes to give you a better idea of how the game currently plays, looks and feels. It's still very early and only of fraction of what I want is implemented, but it's moving on and I hope you like this look behind the scenes.

Please note that nothing you see is final or complete.

45. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Really coming along there! Nice job :)

46. fghajhe

fghajhe

Awesome, looks and sounds great. Voice are nice too, all your's or do you have multiple people voice acting?

47. online|offworld

online|offworld

Wow Sollthar, that'd easily be the best game I've seen in Unity.

It looks amazing, well done! :)

48. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks a lot guys! Glad you like it! The work starts to pay off a bit as it feels more and more playable.

The voices are currently all recorded by myself, heh. But obviously, I'll get some different voiceactors for the final game. Right now, I'll have to keep hearing my own voice mainly to test if all the sound and text is correctly linked. :D

49. Blacklight

Blacklight

Looks brilliant. Does the game pause when you open the inventory screen?

50. Sollthar

Sollthar

It goes down to 10% speed, yeah. So it doesn't pause completely, but almost. :)