Search Unity

Space Navigator Support is Terrible

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by HoloBeard, Jul 8, 2020.

?

Do you use a 3d mouse in your workflow?

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  1. HoloBeard

HoloBeard

I work for an engineering company. Many of us use the Space Navigator 3D mouse for our modeling programs. I understand Unity is originally a game developer engine. But the support of the 3d mouse is terrible. Why hasn't Unity taken its support seriously?

After a 2nd monitor, the 3rd mouse is the upgrade we pick before better processor, ram etc. Few of the other engineers and drafters don't want to touch Unity if a basic tool is not going to be supported. Please Unity, if your serious about supporting AEC, support the use of a 3d mouse.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    dwulff likes this.
  2. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hey HoloBeard,
    Thanks for letting us know. I'll be curious to see the poll results because quite honestly this isn't something I've personally had a lot of feedback about. Can I ask which other tools do you use with a 3D Mouse?

3. jackstrongitharm

jackstrongitharm

Unity Technologies

4. HoloBeard

HoloBeard

@jackstronitharm - yes I do use the space-navigator asset but its usability is sketchy with 2019.+. It worked really well with Unity 2018 but is hit or miss 2019

5. HoloBeard

HoloBeard

@DavidMenard - we use 3d mouse for our PTC CAD programs, AutoCAD, Blender, Sketchup, Lumion, Cinema 4D.

Here is a simple test: a base 3d mouse is $100. Get one, run blender, Sketchup or Unity 2018 w/ the assest store plugin which is pretty stable with Unity 2018, and test moving around a scene for 30 minutes. Once you use a 3rd mouse, its hard to ever move around a model without one again. Its that good.

A 3d mouse makes the task & speed of moving around a scene so much more efficient that i would easily pay for a maintained plugin.

6. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

The problem is the manufacturer, 3DConnexion.
    Their driver is affecting Unity even though that is not an app you can choose to install. I only chose 3ds max in their installer.

In Unity, MRTK becomes unusable.
    And their driver even affects runtime Unity apps; Firewatch, the famous game, gets rubbish inpout from the space navigator. The menu keeps flipping around.