Search Unity

Space Graphics Toolkit & Planets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Darkcoder, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Medusa-Zenovka

Medusa-Zenovka

How tighly are your system tethered to your floating origin system? I tried out your floating origin system (I tried the freebie once a couple of months back) and it didn't work out for me. It is/was too complex for my needs. So I would like to swap it out with my own which works perfectly with my pathfinding, off-screen-physics, and overall fits well in my deterministic update loop hierarchy. So before I would buy the Space Graphics Toolkit I would like to know what it would take for me to accomplish that or if I'm better off creating all those features on my own?

2. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

None of the SGT features are tied into the origin shifting system, they are designed to work with or without it. In the next version this feature is greatly improved though, the Basic Pack had quite an old version.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  3. Medusa-Zenovka

Medusa-Zenovka

That is good to know. Thanks for the fast reply.

Darkcoder likes this.
  4. zarex7

zarex7

thanks for short answer. But brilliant idea completly in add support "constructing planets from Terrains" solution to SGT. Just in one click - add slots to planet surface (cubic sphere LARGE diameters, so not 6, but for example 96 peaces (terrains size 300x300 area) or _more_ to assembly each planet), than automatic convert terrain to mesh, than automatic scale/rotate/spherize meshes to completly assembly large planet, than spherize ocean shader like Ceto (you can fork), and then integrate that "assembled from 96 meshes planet and Ceto-spherized ocean" to SGT. Please do that, will be cool for real game design with large worlds. i.e. support not only generated planets, but also assembled large planets. And simple Vizualise slots in inspector to assemply sphere from meshes/terrains. And just add integer to select total numbers of slots.
    Designer's mind operate terrains. Programmer's mind operate meshes. Okay, not problem. Just add conversion function, and product (asset SGT) will support each type of thinking. That will really great for future game developers and marketing

5. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

SGT already does handle the meshes for you, you don't have to think about anything besides setting the heightmaps and material settings. I have no plans to add any kind of planet construction system using 96 terrains, besides as I said it's not possible to transform terrains in the way you describe.

blacksun666 likes this.
  6. zarex7

zarex7

you do not want to listen to game developers. then it’s easier for us to make our implementation of Floating Origin instead using SGT. In this case SGT an unnecessary component is almost useless in modern games.

7. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Hi there...
    I'm just returning to Unity after several years. I purchased SGT back then, and I'd like to use it now. I downloaded and imported it into my current project. The assets do appear to be in the folder. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing SpaceGraphicsToolkit in the GameObject dropdown list, and it does not appear if I right-click in the hierarchy pane. As mentioned, it's been a while and I'm probably doing something wrong. Any thoughts? TIA!

8. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Which exact version of Unity are you using? Do you see any errors in the console?

9. kamicth

kamicth

WOW !!!
    i already love this asset, but this new componant seem so incredible. this is a huge improvment
    it's amazing !! is it possible and how to get access to this WIP ?

also do you allow to take a look on your new fully procedural asset ?

10. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Here's a picture of something else I've been working on the for the next version:

As you can see, it's a more realistic black hole rendering system. Instead of being a screen effect like SgtSingularity, this uses a cubemap and can thus bend light backwards or all the way around. This of course means it's more expensive to update, but for more or less static scenarios this works really well.

I sent you an early copy of 3.7.0.

Development of the new asset is on hold for a few weeks, as I want to release updates to SGT and my other assets first.

hopeful likes this.
  11. kamicth

kamicth

Thanks, it's very cool.

I also looked at lens and singularity.
    They are nice, but i think i am doing wron by trying to add accretion to them
    • syngularity distord the acretion all around unexpectedly
    • lens obstruct the acretion all around unexpectedly
    Capture.JPG
    can you fix or explain how to use accretion with black holes ?

the purpose is to obtain something like thoses
    BlackHoleTravel-1024x629.jpg
    warp.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  12. kamicth

kamicth

3.7 need burst to work, i installed it and its fix missing dependencies, can you add dependencies reference in the package to ease (automate) the installation ?

will you make the water independant of the planet geometry to allow submarine exploration ?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  13. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

This new effect uses a cubemap, which is rendered from a single point. If this point lies on the same plane as the accretion disc then it will be invisible to the cubemap, thus not render. This means it's not possible to render the effect seen in your bottom pictures without implementing raytracing on top of the cubemap sample. I may add this in the future, but for now it's mostly designed for distorting distant or things in front of the black hole.

Yes, the asset package itself will have this. I don't think the manual package exporter has this option though.

I have no plans to add a dedicated water system right now.

14. VikingPingvin

VikingPingvin

Heyo

Would you be so kind as to give some hints/guides on how to achieve somethign like this?

That is very impressive.

15. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Yes, of course. As I have written above, I used a development version of the new SGT Terrain asset which is currently in development. Creating such planets is really easy with it. I have attached some screenshots to show how easy it is. Pictures say more than words. :)

hierachie.jpg

planet.jpg
    atmosphere.jpg

Result:

planet_surface.jpg

VikingPingvin and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  16. VikingPingvin

VikingPingvin

Thanks for the reply! That is indeed very cool.

This updated part will be in 3.7? Can't wait then :D

Are the "Globe" elements an updated replacement to the StgTerrain?

17. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Yes the "Globe" is a replacement for SGT Terrain Component.
    Darkcoder said that this will be part of a new asset, it is not an update for the current SGT asseet.

18. VikingPingvin

VikingPingvin

Ah got it. Anyways from the looks of it, the purchase will be a no-brainer :p

19. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Yes, can't wait.:D

20. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Yes, SgtGlobe + SgtAtmosphere2 are just the placeholder names for the new terrain asset components.

Version 3.7.0 will replace SgtTerrain with SgtDynamicPlanet, which adds some of these things. I submitted this for review earlier today, so hopefully it will be out very soon :)

Bartolomeus755 and joshua_42 like this.
  21. gecko

gecko

Hi, big fan of SGT for many years now, thanks so much for keeping it going. I'm having a problem though -- doing a WebGL build, works great on computer browsers, but on mobile browsers (at least mobile Safari on iOS), the build stalls out when about 95% loaded (according to the progress bar). Unfortunately, the console shows no errors or warnings or anything whatsoever, it's blank.

If I remove SGT, it loads fully on mobile Safari and works fine. I'm pruned SGT down to the things I really need -- I'm using Atmosphere and Backdrop, and it seems that those also require Shared and Universe (I get compiler errors if I delete either). Any idea what could be causing this problem, or how to fix/workaround it?

thanks!
    Dave

22. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Not sure, and it would be hard to debug if there are no warnings or anything. It might be easier to find some kind of list of what features don't work on iOS WebGL builds, and then see which parts of SGT use them. If no list can be found then indeed you must manually strip code out until it works to narrow it down. I don't have enough free time right now to track down this kind of issue though.

23. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Hey everyone,

Version 3.7.0 of Space Graphics Toolkit is now out!
    • Moved main build to Unity 2018.4.0f1.
    • Added new Planet demo scenes.
    • Added new Universe demo scenes.
    • Added Eath Sized Planet demo scene.
    • Added SgtFloatingWarpPin.FloatingCamera setting.
    • Added SgtFloatingWarpPin.WorldCamera setting.
    • Added SgtFloatingSpawner.Range setting.
    • SgtFloatingCamera no longer needs to be attached to a Camera.
    • SgtFloatingCamera snapping attempt moved from pre-render to LateUpdate.
    • Moved Terrain features to Planet folder.
    • Merged SgtMeshDisplacer into SgtPlanet.
    • Merged SgtPlanetMeshConverter into SgtPlanet.
    • Renamed SgtPlanet to SgtStaticPlanet.
    • Rewrote SgtTerrain to be faster and handle larger scale planets.
    • Renamed SgtTerrain to SgtDynamicPlanet.
    • Changed SgtCameraMove.MouseSensitivity to modify movement speed.
    • Merged SgtFloatingPoint into SgtFloatingCamera.
    • Merged SgtFloatingPoint into SgtFloatingObject.
    • Merged SgtFloatingSpawnable into SgtFloatingObject.
    • Removed SgtFloatingLod component.
    • Removed SgtFloatingOrigin component.
    • Removed SgtFloatingCamera.Scale setting.
    • Improved SgtFloatingCamera snap behavior with larger planets.
    • Added SgtFloatingFollow component.
    • Fixed SgtJovian error with _MainTex property.

This version changes quite a few features, notably the Terrain and Planet features have been combined, and the Universe feature has been greatly simplified.

Keep in mind that due to the vast amount of changes, you should back up your project before you update (delete the SGT folder then import). You will probably have to manually delete+redo any planets or origin shifting parts of your scenes. These inconveniences should be worth it though!

I plan to add some more demo scenes to better show off these features soon, stay tuned :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    JFI66, Titan2105, hopeful and 5 others like this.
  24. joshua_42

joshua_42

Hey Darkcoder, my internet connection has just become unstable to the point that I can't download anything over a few megabytes from the asset store (great timing). Any chance you could provide me with a separate link?

25. kamicth

kamicth

Hey darkcoder,

just update to the official 3.7.0 release
    it seem that the dependency with "com.unity.package-manager-ui": "2.0.7" is incorect. it make apening many critical errors. i just fixed it by removing it from the package manager tabs.
    from my understanding, packlage-manager version depend of what version of unity we are using and forcing the version in manifest.json is not a good idea

26. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Sent.

Hmm, unfortunately Unity doesn't make this easy to do, as you must explicitly specify the package version. It's impossible to specify the correct version, because every version of Unity has a different 'latest' version of each package, and I'm already submitting this package with the recommended version of Unity. Perhaps the best solution is to not specify any dependency, and require the user to add the packages themselves.

27. kamicth

kamicth

my point is perhaps package-manager is not required at all as dependancy

wel... for now i use it with 2019.3, but i've havent paid attention about the recomended unity version for this asset, i will take a look.

also if you need any feedback and accept previewers with your "globe" procedural planets project i will be very hapy to test it.
    regarding what you did with sgt i'm ready to buy it before release right now

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  28. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

The issue is I can't pick the dependencies when uploading. The package uploader either uploads with none, or all of the packages used with the current project. It looks like I can manually remove the package manager UI from the package manifest without breaking Unity though, so we'll see if this improves things. I'll submit a new build later today.

Development of the new globe asset is on hold for a few weeks, so I'm not looking for testers right now. Once I do more work on it I'll post something here :)

JFI66 likes this.
  29. CosmicStud

CosmicStud

Hello, just wondering what are the installation instructions for a 2018.4 build with the new 3.7 Update. I am using Shadergraph, LWRP versions 4.10. Though I have ran into an issue, whenever it imports the asset package it leaves two error comments. With the atmospheres not working at all on the sample builds.

I started another new project with 2019.3 with the updated Shadergraph and URP and the atmospheres works seamlessly. Something I'm missing on 2018.4?

I am also selecting scriptable rendering using the included rendering asset.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: Can not deserialize (UnityEditor.Rendering.LWRP.LightWeightPBRSubShader), type is invalid
    2. UnityEditor.Graphing.SerializationHelper.Deserialize[T] (UnityEditor.Graphing.SerializationHelper+JSONSerializedElement item, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] remapper, System.Object[] constructorArgs) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.shadergraph@4.10.0-preview/Editor/Data/Util/SerializationHelper.cs:103)
    3. UnityEditor.Graphing.SerializationHelper.Deserialize[T] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] list, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] remapper, System.Object[] constructorArgs) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.shadergraph@4.10.0-preview/Editor/Data/Util/SerializationHelper.cs:153)
    4. UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.ScriptedImporter:GenerateAssetData(AssetImportContext) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/Public/ScriptedImporter.cs:20)
    and

Code (CSharp):
    1. {}
    2. UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.ScriptedImporter:GenerateAssetData(AssetImportContext) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/Public/ScriptedImporter.cs:20)

30. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Fun times with SRP it seems!

I can confirm these issues, though I'm not exactly sure what's causing it. Perhaps it's to do with the dependencies breaking something. It's strange that it breaks in 2018.4 (the version I submitted with), and not a newer version.

It's getting late here so I'll test this tomorrow morning. Sorry for any issues!

31. CosmicStud

CosmicStud

Yes! Learning SRP has been fun! lol ;), thank you!

32. JFI66

JFI66

Hi,
    just bought the sgt package; but importing in a 2019.3.4 unity version gives errors about the "using Mathematics" instruction. Is there an easy way to import the package?
    Thanks a lot in advance
    Jürgen

33. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

The latest version of SGT requires the Mathematics package (as well as Collections, and Burst).

You can install this by going to Window/Package Manager, selecting Mathematics, then clicking the Install button at the bottom right.

It should automatically install, but perhaps there's some issue. I'm looking into this right now.

JFI66 likes this.
  34. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

Bought this today (finally). Excited to give it a go.

Darkcoder, dirkjacobasch and JFI66 like this.
  35. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Alright, both of these issues should now be fixed (hopefully). I'm submitting a new version now :)

dirkjacobasch and JFI66 like this.
  36. JFI66

JFI66

Wow,
    that was fast!!
    Is there any chance to get the new version faster than via assetstore?
    I could provide my invoice number via mail if you like.

37. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Sent you a private message :)

JFI66 likes this.
  38. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Hey everyone,

Version 3.7.1 of Space Graphics Toolkit is now out!
    • Fixed SRP bug when using Unity 2018.4.
    • Removed unnecessary package dependencies.
    • Added Shared/Camera Controls demo scene.
    • Added Shared/Rigidbody Controls demo scene.
    • Improved Basic Pack/Planet Surfing demo scene.
    • Improved Basic Pack/Terrestrial Planet demo scene.
    • Improved Basic Pack/Terrestrial Planet + Ring demo scene.
    • Added SgtFloatingSpeedometer.UpdateIn setting.

This should hopefully fix most issues with the package manager stuff. I also added a cool little spaceship to some of the example scenes. Previously it was just an asteroid that you controlled, but this should be much better.

Let me know if you encounter any issues, enjoy :)

39. JFI66

JFI66

Thanks a lot for your fast feedback; import is working now. Awesome!!

Darkcoder likes this.
  40. michaljabrzyk

michaljabrzyk

Some asset or program to create planet heightmap and textures?

41. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

The planet textures in SGT were made using Grand Designer, which I highly recommend if you want to make your own planets from scratch. As you can see, this tool has billions of settings, which are required to make planets that look good. As much as I'd love to make something like this in SGT, it's simply too much work and may not be as good as this.

42. astearon

astearon

I keep getting this on unity 2018.2 lately:
    Assets/Space Graphics Toolkit/Features/Universe/Scripts/SgtFloatingObject.cs(50,15): error CS1644: Feature `default literal' cannot be used because it is not part of the C# 6.0 language specification

Any idea why?

43. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

What's your .NET version set to in your project settings? That usually means you need to change it to version 4.

44. astearon

astearon

Capture.JPG
    I already have that.

45. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

I'll fix this in the next version. You can fix it now by changing SgtFloatingObject line 50 from:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Position            = default;
    To:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Position            = default(SgtPosition);

46. astearon

astearon

That fixed the error however it now points to mathematics package with a bunch of other errors.
    What version does it need?
    Capture.JPG

47. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

SGT was developed using:

Code (csharp):
    2.     "com.unity.burst": "1.1.1",
    3.     "com.unity.collections": "0.0.9-preview.12",
    4.     "com.unity.mathematics": "1.1.0",
    Keep in mind it was made and submitted with Unity 2018.4.0f1 as per Unity's updated submision guidelines, so you may have to change some things to get it to work in 2018.2 like replacing math.PI_DBL with a double literal, as well as math.PI with a float literal.

48. astearon

astearon

Tried to modify these and made the following changes:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void ResetPosition()
    2.         {
    3.             Position            = default(SgtPosition);
    4.             positionSet         = false;
    5.             expectedPositionSet = false;
    6.         }

and for the PI:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var angle = UnityEngine.Random.Range((float)-math.PI, (float)math.PI);
    but now the float universe examples just chashes Unity

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  49. blacksun666

blacksun666

Is there a way to remove the stars that are close to the camera when using SgtStarfieldElliptical? Im working in VR and the near stars are close enough to 'touch'. Don't want to use the near clipping field as I want some objects to appear close.

50. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Strange, is there any reason why you can't upgrade to at least 2018.4?

You can use the SgtStarfieldElliptical component's Near setting for this. This is shown in the "Infinite Dust Near" demo scene (same setting from the base starfield class).

blacksun666 likes this.