Search Unity

Space Game action RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Guriamo, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Guriamo

Guriamo

i had a look at your stuff... really good things there :), personally i don't like accepting work from someone without compensation. I am sure I ll need help in the future, since i work only on a demo basically which is maybe an hour of gameplay (probably less)... its all about getting systems in place now. And doing whatever feels fun to do right now (art, code, effects)....

Still i do have a list of things documented that i work from, and its quite long :) plus the whole interiors are a thing i recently added because i wanted to try out this workflow for modular levels (which could also be randomized later).

2. Guriamo

Guriamo

I ve worked on the skill system this week, setting up the UI mainly and creating icons for passive, combat and non combat skills.

no image for now, but I will post a video once i have connected the UI to the skills and have it working with leveling up :)

3. Guriamo

Guriamo

More work done on the skill panel, plus added some floating text (which is centered atm because i still need to figure out how to display it on object positions but on my UI cam.
    Also i worked on weapons damage added a min-max damage, critical hits and weapon speed (cool down) feature..

Plus i finished functionality on the skill panel... now the skills need to be connected and variour level up states scripted.

here is a quick video of the skills and damage in action.

4. Guriamo

Guriamo

not a lot visually to share... I finished connecting the passive skills to the UI and creating unlock paths. Also created the shield skill, which when unlocked adds the shield UI next to the health... The shield will absorb a portion of damage and recharges after some time (10 seconds at skill level 1) when not in a fight. (skills will reduce cooldown, make it stronger or deflect damage back to the enemy).

5. Guriamo

Guriamo

Has been a while since the last update...

I worked more on skills this weekend, added the 1st level of the Cartography skill which enables the waypoints.
    When holding control the player can set a max of 3 waypoints the ship starts moving along when ctrl is released. It gives a lot of tactical freedom during combat.

Also i started working on the 2nd interior tile set texturing. And refined some other things (like danger zones)

Heres a quick video of some of the work in action:

6. Guriamo

Guriamo

no update in a while :) but I have still been working on the game. Especially I have been doing the 2nd interior tileset, created all 3 levels for this one and started with some props and effects (like doors that can open / close and can be locked unlocked).

The other thing I have been working on is make the camera a lot more responsive and alter the view to be a bit more zoomed out. Also I have increased the player speed a little as it was a bit slow.

Here are 2 screens from the 1st floor of the mining facility interior

7. Glubags

Glubags

Really digging the art here! Gameplay seems promising, too... keep it up!

8. Guriamo

Guriamo

thanks :) I ll post a video again next time to show the changed camera , etc..

9. Guriamo

Guriamo

after a year i finally get to post an update again. I havent got as much time to work on it the past year, only a couple of hours here and there.

I did a bit of a slight re design to make it easier to finish and more fun to play. The game is a bit more arcadish now, and borrows some rouge-like elements (some systemic elements as well as perma death, but it ll probably handle more like the hardcore mode in diablo, where the character saves until he dies). The 3 factions in the game also now fight each other. And the inventory was replaced with a pickup upgrade system to upgrade weapon, armor, shield and engines. Those will be randomly distributed around the map.

Also I added a start and end screen, the demo has a main loop and is finishable (goal is to fix the jumpgate and go through it to open up various jump gate routes).

I hope to post more updates during summer :)

I still have an pretty annoying bug which is hard to fix without a profiler. (after 20-30minutes the main thread ms increase steadily but both memory and drawcalls stay the same).

10. Guriamo

Guriamo

Some small updates...

- finished adding mission points (interactive objects that spawn some events that will give rewards, still has placeholder art)
    - added more skills (lay mines, tractor beam (both interact with each other as well),...)
    - added keyboard shortcuts for skill bar & health / energy "potions" (when the player has full health/energy it will add a potion)
    - revamped skill design - skills are now pickups instead of skillpoints.
    - added shops (placeholder art)
    - added collection points (drag objects using the tractor skill here, will give various rewards later on depending on combination of objects)

I will be working on the collection points next, to get the "recipes" in, as well as continue adding the skills.

11. Guriamo

Guriamo

some updates i have been working on the past 2 days: (no images)

- lay mines and torpedo skill now needs ammo, this is also available in shops now
    - tractor skill can now be used offensively (tractor an enemy to shortly disable it, but it drains your energy quick)
    - the scanning ability now is more functional. if the player scans an asteroid it will reveal tractorable ressources on it.
    - collection zones have all recipes in (different combination of ressources will give different rewards)

to come:

- mining lase skill: use scanner on objects to reveal mine able areas to find more ressources. Also can be used to gain access to hidden areas.

- cloak skill: hides he player from enemy scanners, lets the player navigate an area without triggering ambushes,..

I have almost all features for the demo in, then its only content to add. (aiming for 1h of gameplay)

12. Guriamo

Guriamo

Changed thread title to make more sense..

13. skine-dmz

skine-dmz

This looks truly amazing! I am trying something quite similar as your project, how do you deal with the map/background?

14. Guriamo

Guriamo

Thanks, What do you mean exactly? The background is normally made in maya. While i want to explore a more procedural approach later on, it wasnt sometmhing i started yet (i am an artist and not a coder ;) ).

15. skine-dmz

skine-dmz

Well you are doing extremely well saying you are not a coder!

I am also wanting procedural generation, one of the things I am not quite sure of is the background (literally the space / stars / nebulas - not the planets / objects), and was wondering how yours was done as it is very nice.

16. Micha-Stettler

Micha-Stettler

Looks very nice!
    I especially like the UI, looks very professional. ;)

17. PixelNecktie

PixelNecktie

Everything looks great, lookin forward to more progress

18. Guriamo

Guriamo

Cheers guys... I ll try to get a new video up this weekend. Have all skills in now in a first pass. Working to get all systems ready and start work on more data content again.

19. Guriamo

Guriamo

here is a quick new video .. didn't have lot of time today to spend on it :) Some things are a bit broken (menu transitions and floating text especially because they were based off iTween. I had to remove all iTween stuff because it added huge amount of ms to the main thread and over time it was using up all the CPU for some reason.

Good thing is that the game is now super smooth no matter how long it is played :)

I added a first iteration of some music in this build, all credits to Richard Savery. I hope to add more audio the coming weeks… Also the title name is a working title, in case anyone wonders :)

20. Rob-Mills-Audio

Rob-Mills-Audio

This is incredible.
    Well done!
    Hit me up if you want any help with the audio.