Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Game 2 Update

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Aug 20, 2006.

1. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

*UPDATED*

Here is a really simple beta type build of the sequel to the first game I ever made, "Space Shooter Game".

When you run the game it will warp you in a random ship and an enemy in a random ship into the system. When you destroy the enemy it will warp in 2 more etc.

Here are the new controls:

Spacebar = Accelerate

Mouse = Turn Ship

"/" and "?" Button = Scope In

Right Cmd = Scan for Targets

Mouse Button 1 or Right Alt = Fire Main Weapon

Mouse Button 2 or Right Ctrl = Fire Secondary Weapon

Shift = Roll

www.yoggy.bluegillweb.com/Files/Space2.zip

Enjoy! :)

Attached Files:

2. VeganApps

VeganApps

Hi Yoggy,

Very nice game ! :D
    The green/yellow missles look just cool.
    And the explosions of the ships too.

Its fun and looks pretty nice.

What about the mouse control...
    Did you think about using a mouse control where you have to aim the middle of the screen to not rotate and the more you move the cursor to the screen border the more the ship rotates ?
    You could limit the mouse cursor that it is only allowed to move in 1/3 of the screensize (starting at the middle).
    Oh well... my explaining-what-I-mean-skill is subzero today. I'll just draw a pic... :?

:)

3. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I could do that. I think I tried something like this before and it sucked so I gave up but I have a lot more skill now so maybe I could make it work. What I really need is a downloadable joystick to send with it. ;)

4. taumel

taumel

Is it possible in unity to set the mouse position or lock it?

It's a problem if it's windowed as you click outside the window and apps pop up here and there...

Regards,

taumel

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's pretty darn cool! The one thing I could wish for was a space game that obeyed the laws of physics and let you accelerate forever (or until you run out of fuel, or you hit the speed of light, whichever comes first ;) ). I understand limiting it for gameplay reasons though. At least you've got the "fly in one direction while looking in any other direction" thing, so it's not just airplane fighting in space, which most other so-called space games seem to do.

--Eric

6. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

This is really fun! Cant wait to see it advance.

7. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

wouldnt mind a PC version or a web version =P

8. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I can't compile to PC because I don't have pro. I guess I need to get a web player up.

I will include that in the next version, hopefully soon.

9. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Like right now! :)

In this version you and 4 allies face off against 5 enemies. every time a ship other then yours is destroyed, a new one spawns.

I also redid how some things look to optimize them.

www.yoggy.bluegillweb.com/Space2

click on Unity Player.html for the web player or Space2.zip for a Universal Binary.

10. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

im guessing that its only in the web version (maybe just on windows using web version) that your flying inside a cube each side having a different colour, with stars on it?
    and its probably only on windows that the smoke comes out as grey squares that face the player
    and i think it may be to dark too

11. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

The darkness is probably because of the gamma difference between windows and mac, or CRT vs LCD (I have a CRT).

The "Cube with stars on it" sounds a lot like the Skybox. It shouldn't appear as a cube though.

The gray square smoke sounds like a shader problem. This is what it looks like here in the web and download versions. One screenshot is raw, the other has an ajusted gamma.

It would help if you could post a screenshot.

Attached Files:

12. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Pretty cool game. It stalls on me once and a while and after 4 rounds it crashed my system :eek: Wonder if it's a memory issue, I've got an iMac Intel Duo 1.83 Ghz with only 512 Mb RAM.

13. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

this is how it looks on mine.

i have a
    Pentium D (with 2X 2.8ghz)
    Geforce 7800 gt
    2GB ram

all drivers are up2date etc etc

Attached Files:

14. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Shalow: launch the web player bug reporter (C:\Program Files\OverTheEdge\Unity\WebPlayer\CrashHandlerApp.exe) and submit a bug. We'll get the precise system information (OpenGL version etc.) this way.

15. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

ok, bug report has been sent

16. VeganApps

VeganApps

I am not sure... -I am pretty new to Unity.
    But it would very cool if it would be possible to set/move the mouse position. Maybe not in windowed mode coz you could pretty much make fun of people and just take control over the mousecursor. But in fullscreenmode it would be great... for such starship controls, ingame tutorials etc.

17. freyr

freyr

It's against Apple's HIGs to move the mouse pointer around... and they have even ensured that by not having any public API for positioning the mouse from code on OS X.

You can of course get around that in full-screen mode by drawing the m ouse cursor yourself and use relative mouse reporting only.

18. Martin

Martin

Sometimes it is useful that the mouse cursor sticks above a control during dragging. To do that you have to move the mouse cursor.
    So there is indeed a public call in OS X to move the mouse cursor. Check out

Code (csharp):
    2. CGDisplayErr CGDisplayMoveCursorToPoint(CGDirectDisplayID display, CGPoint point);
    Maybe that call is of interest for your.

Bye,
    Martin

19. taumel

taumel

In director for example you could use something like the Move Cursor Xtra. I'm confident there will be a solution! ;O)

Regards,

taumel

20. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Update!!

Here are the new controls:

Spacebar = Accelerate

Mouse = Turn Ship

"/" and "?" Button = Scope In

Right Cmd = Scan for Targets

Mouse Button 1 or Right Alt = Fire Main Weapon

Mouse Button 2 or Right Ctrl = Fire Secondary Weapon

Shift = Roll

www.yoggy.bluegillweb.com/Files/Space2.zip

Planned stuff:

Start Menu.
    More HUD than just the ship speed.
    Better AI.
    Some kind of real level progression.

21. elias723

elias723

Cool man! the game looks good. I really like the xwing-esque ship models! The reflection maps are quite cool, and the setup is pretty neat too. It would be nice to have some kind of gui with a sensor to tell where people are from your perspective. Maybe I'm giving you too tough an assignment, but I think it would be cool to have that at least to some degree. Anyway, looks good!

22. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I agree, that one ship is realy well done. The other two I don't realy like so well, maybe some time you can go back and try get all of them up to the level of detail and artisticness of the quad canon one.

Great work though man, lots of fun. I could see this growing into a realy great new "arcade like" game. Something like good old swoop but in a fresh new way :p Keep it up. Jeff

23. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Awesome! I like the way the ship shakes when its being hit. And those particle trails on the missiles/shots are really cool! The overall looks of the surroundings (skybox and asteroids) really deliver a very good "space-feeling".
    I also like the new control-setup! Very easy to handle. What about a level with a space station? Would love to see that ;)

Well done Yoggy!

24. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

elias: I plan to make a radar, I just haven't done it yet. It will come with the next update when I mkae the rest of the HUD.

I could make some more maps/levels. A space station would be cool. You have to either help defend it against an onslaught of enemies or attack it and take out the turrets.

Jeff I am not sure why you like the blue ship the best. It is the first one I made so I took more time with it then the others but it also was kind of wierd being the first of a whole new style for me.

Thanks for the positive input everyone!! :)

25. Morgan

Morgan

Just checked it out - cool! I like that each ship has its own reticle.

26. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

There's a lot to like about this little demo game :D , but I had a one small issue:
    I'm still new to Macs, but steering with the mouse seemed very slow and difficult. I had to wipe the mouse across the pad maybe 6 or 8 times to make a 180 degree turn. Arrow keys and a joystick would seem more appropriate for this style of game IMHO. I haven't tested the joystick with this version, but tried with an earlier version and it didn't work. I also wasn't able to shoot with my right mouse button, but that could be a problem with my [less than] "Mighty Mouse".

27. pete

pete

big k, maybe speed up your mouse tracking speed in system preferences?

sorry yog, haven't had time to check it out... :(

28. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Don't think I want to do that as it would effect all my other apps as well. This is a new iMac Intel Duo, so whatever my settings are, they are per "factory".

29. pete

pete

it's just personal preference. i have mine cranked full speed. a buddy of mine likes his really slow. neither of us can stand working on the other's machine. sorry... ot! other than that it might help big k not have to scroll sooo much!

30. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

When I make a menu I will include a mouse sensitivity setting. If I knew how I would support joysticks for sure but before I do that I have to learn how and probably buy a joystick myself.

31. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

32. drJones

drJones

something is not right. i think maybe there should be different zones- if you move the mouse a little bit it turns very slowly and if you go past a certain threshold then it moves fast (actually maybe you have this already - if you do make the fine turning zone much bigger). there should be some way to replicate joystick movement with the mouse (i.e. when you stop input it recenters for you) but its beyond my programming skills ; )

33. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

On my machine the controls are actually a little bit better. At least the white cursor box gives a bit of feedback.

Question: How did you do the "flying space dust/debris"? It's a nice touch to an all around great demo!

34. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

The last one felt much better. I would get back to that.

35. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

The dust is simple. A large particle effect attatched to the player with "Simulate in Worldspace" checked.

Looks like some people like the new controls. This means I will make it an option as soon as I make the menu.

36. pete

pete

i barely had time to check it out but yeah i liked the new controls.

spacestation assault? like it! maybe make the station scale huge so you get a real sense of speed.