Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Game 2 newest update update

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Oct 11, 2006.

1. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

It has been a while since I last gave you a playable version of this. I have added a lot of new stuff, most of it pretty rough. New stuff:

Menus----

Chose between static and normal mouse control in the options
    Name your pilot and choose a faction (Faction textures not made yet, so I use the texture for that faction's ship as a place holder)
    Select a level

Space Station level-----

Dodge bullets from giant long range cannons while aproaching the station
    Take out close range turrets by shooting them and take out long range cannons by shooting the glowing cylinder.
    Find a way into the station and explore in there. ( with portal culling!! :) )

Update 14/12/06------

I uploaded a new version with WASD or arrow key input, brakes, and shield and armor indicators on the dashboard thing.

Plus a shield affect and many other small improvements.

Please realize that there are probably a million problems at this point and most of it in unfinished but suggestions are very welcome anyway.

Controls:

thrust: w or up
    brake: s or down
    turn: mouse movement
    roll: a or left and d or right
    fire main weapon: mouse 1 or right option
    fire secondary weapon mouse2 or right control
    scan for targets: right alt/cmd or q
    scope: ?/ key or e

Mac Universal Binary: www.yogware.bluegillstudios.com/Files/Space2.zip

Attached Files:

2. Lallander

Lallander

OOOOOohhhhh k,

Well I was finally able to gun down that little twerp in the asteroid level.

And I have tried about 10 times to assault the station, I can't get anywhere near it.

The only problems I have so far are as follows.

Cockpit is a bit restrictive.
    No Breaking thrusters.
    Aiming is a bit difficult at range.

3. nickavv

nickavv

That was awesome. Like Lallander I got through X-18, but the battle station gave me a bit of trouble. I Knocked out 1 of the turrets and almost killed a second before being shot down.

4. Morgan

Morgan

Neat! I couldn't hit the other ship with lasers and I didn't seem to have any missiles, but it's a nice polished system with the button effects and everything.

And I did get into the station--as a Descent fan, I am all in favor of flying indoors :)

Nitpick: during play, the menu pointer stays visible.

5. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

What do you mean by the cockpit is restrictive? It obscures your vision too much?

The cannons on the space station anticipate your velocity so you have to change it for thier shots to miss. Turn as they shoot to dodge the bullets. I know it is too hard right now but as I said, this is a rough version.

I will smooth everything out and add more stuff soon I hope.

6. Lallander

Lallander

It feels like the ship is always climing. No instruments, no controls, it feels like there is this useless lump in my face that I would probably saw off and weld flat the next time I was able to get some hangar time.

7. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

This is absolutly great! Those Shots really are aggressive. Lots of Effects... Yeah!
    You get things done, Yoggy!

The Ship Controls, especially the speed control would require a little fine tuning in my opinion. And yes, a retro-thruster would be cool also. Some more HUD Elements or Buttons etc. (needful or senseless... doesnt matter) would also increase the feeling of being in a cockpit.

I like this game more and more... Well done!

@Lallander - I hope you didnt saw off anything, cause you definatly would end up with lots of loose cables, originally belonging to some logic circuit or control unit, leaving you drifting and defenseless... As this is a WIP i guess Yoggy will come up with some interesting stuff for that console soon...

8. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

there should be breaking thrusters, and maybe strafing thrusters, and a crosshair except from that, nice game

9. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Yes the cockpit screens and the blue center thing on the blue ship will be covered with useful and neat looking gadgets. I just haven't done it yet.

I wanted to make the engines only push forward because I thought it would be a neat game play item that distinguishes my game from normal boring FPS type controls.

Not many people like it though.. Maybe I won't do it after all.

10. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

By the way... i hope the "console" wasnt supposed to be the ships nose ;)

edit: :D you where faster Yoggy!

11. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I know what you mean. But those "Lunar Lander" controls dont suit well for a combat ship. I guess with the ability to reverse thrust it would be much better to control, without giving it a shooter feeling. Maybe you add something like overheating so you cant accelerate/decelerate all the time?! Just thinking out loud! Do what ya want.

Cant wait to see more.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I think it's very refreshing to see a space game that's actually a space game, not just a flight sim with stars in the background, like 99% of other so-called "space games." Space combat is a lot different from jet combat, or should be.

--Eric

13. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

The max velocity is needed. Without it some really really crazy things would happen and it would be a way for people to ruin the game for themselves. I have considered it but I just won't because there are too many problems with it. I am too lazy to obey the laws of physics ;)

14. Lallander

Lallander

I would really rather have w thrust forward and a,d control roll, with perhaps s handling a breaking thruster. That way main stearage and weapons are all on the mouse.

15. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

ya, im all for lallander's idea, that, kinda like asteroids in 3D ;)

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Oops, looks like I edited my post just as you wrote that...wouldn't want people to think you're crazy. ;) I realized that, which is why I took it out of my post...if you go too fast, you have collision detection problems which you can't possibly get around.

--Eric

17. boxy

boxy

Excellent. Do you ever sleep? :)
    Boxy

18. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I sleep just fine I just spend way to much time in front of my computer. ;)

I am starting to agree with the WASD control scheme. But I will not put straifing (other then the go forward and then turn left or right kind) in there because it is just too standard and would wreck the gameplay I am trying to create.

19. Lallander

Lallander

Yup don't care about strafe. I do want roll control on the wasd tho. That would be coo.

20. tsphillips

tsphillips

There is a render problem when running full screen, highest quality. This occurs during the warp scene.

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
    Bus: PCIe
    VRAM (Total): 128 MB

(See attached image.)

Attached Files:

21. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I use a camera with no clear flags for the warp scene. This is an unsteady hack and seems to work sporadically depending on the card. I will probably come up with a real way to do this when I find the time.

22. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Maybe the problem is that you're not clearing at all. Try having the camera clear the first frame or few then switch it not clearing with a script.

-Jon

23. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Why would that help?

24. taumel

taumel

What happened to your driving game?

25. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

It was almost done when I stopped making it because I learned about the upcoming wheel collider. But I am too lazy to go work on it again now.

26. taumel

taumel

Ah okay is there any link for the latest state?

27. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

No. I should create a quick version for download tho.

28. Sync1B

Sync1B

Man, there are a lot of us doing space games it seems. This is pretty cool, I totally share your philosophy of making a more realistic space flight/fight game, and it has also caught my interest. I actually think that the forward only thrust thing is a neat and different game play idea, it takes some getting used to but I dig it. Few notes though, I think a reverse thruster is needed for just a tiny bit more controll, and some sort of HUD - doesn't have to show a ton of info.

Looking good, Bill

29. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I uploaded a new version with WASD or arrow key input, brakes, and shield and armor indicators on the dashboard thing.

30. Lallander

Lallander

Much much much much..... etc. easier to control now.
    Aiming at distance is still a bit off. I was having some weird clipping issues at the top of the station (which is still kicking my but).

A nice hud on the ship would be grand, and hrmmm..... can't think of much else. It's coming along nicely.

31. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I don't think you're at all guaranteed that the video memory OpenGL gives you is initially cleared to some sane values. So it looks like random memory garbage in the color buffer to me. So you can clear it initially and then do your effect.

-Jon

32. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

sounds over my head but I will give it a try anyway.

Thanks for all the positive input so far! :)

33. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

this looks really cool from the pics

is this still happening because id llove to try out the version you posted its not working right now

34. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

www.yoggy.bluegillweb.com/Files/Space2.zip

I don't know if I will ever go farther with this or not. It would be a rather large project to do what I wanted to do with this game and I don't know if I am up to it.

It is pretty cool right now though.