Search Unity

Template Space Combat Kit (VSXGames) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Billy4184, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! There's no gravity system provided for things like spherical planets. I believe there are good assets on the store for this unless you want to manage yourself.

Dante20011 likes this.
  2. Dante20011

Dante20011

Ok thanks!!

3. collins777c

collins777c

Bought the pack during the year end sale and loving it so far.

So far everything has worked without any issues, but I would like to adjust it so that I can set a minimum force. I want to be able to make it so that the ship is always moving forward, and no longer able to hover in place. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  4. Billy4184

Billy4184

That's something you'd have to add to the Vehicle Engines 3D component. You can override the FixedUpdate method and clamp the movement forces to a minimum value.

5. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

I need to update my SCK release in a old (2018) project. But when i try to import I receive an alert "the current project settings will be overwritten". Can you help me ? TNX

6. Billy4184

Billy4184

The kit has an installer for setting things up without the project settings. Just download into an empty project, export the Space Combat Kit folder as a package, import into your project and run the installer in the top menu.

frankadimcosta likes this.
  7. rubenpvargas

rubenpvargas

The webgl demo doesnt work, where i can test the asset?

8. Adelpha

Adelpha

Hey, can I use it in my commercial game with changes?

Adelpha game studios

9. Billy4184

Billy4184

Of course, everything in the kit can be used in all your games, commercial or not.

10. ThatGoKu

ThatGoKu

I use this kit in urp render, the shader "Energy Shield" is pink. can you support a urp version shader?
    Or provide a shader file make in shader graph or AmplifyShaderEditor, then I can change it myself.

11. Billy4184

Billy4184

PM me your invoice number and I'll send you a download link to a URP shader replacement.

12. TheGonzoGamer

TheGonzoGamer

13. TheGonzoGamer

TheGonzoGamer

So in the last week I studied and copied objects from demo scenes to implement a rudimentary subsystem system but this does not use the actual subsystem files included in the package nor does it follow the two sentences in the guide regarding subsystem implementation.

Moving on...the Vehicle Engines script has a field for boost resource to limit how much a ship can boost before recharging.

Is there a way to implement a fuel system? I havent found any obvious way to do it. That is, as you move along any axis, the ship uses a fuel resource until it's depleted and then the ship no longer moves.

I have setup the UI and even connected it to a resource container which turns off controls when empty. But I can't find where to link it to the input system.

I thought about editing the input script to check for a resource similar to boosting. Since boosting occurs without a resource container. The container only places a limit on how long you can boost for before needing to recharge. But before diving down that hole, I figured I would ask Billy.

14. msheanva

msheanva

Hi there. I'm wondering - is it possible to constrain what weapons a single ship can use? Currently with its universal mounting system, a light fighter in my project has access to mounts that don't fit its class/mesh setup/etc. Is there currently a method of constraint per ship that I'm missing, especially in the loadout? Thanks!

15. Dante20011

Dante20011

Anyone has problem with the Vertical Movement of the player character? The one on foot? I can't make him move up or down.

16. TheGonzoGamer

TheGonzoGamer

Hey Billy are you around?

17. Billy4184

Billy4184

Sorry for the late reply! I usually do customer support through the Discord (I'm there all the time) or the support email. I end up just clearing a lot of notifications here from general forums, and looks like I missed this one.

There isn't a video on subsystems right now. Just to clarify, do you mean a subsystem to target (like a part of a capital ship to destroy)?

18. Billy4184

Billy4184

You would create your own script that extends the VehicleEngines3D base class and add a resource container that depletes based on engine usage, that prevents the ship from moving (or reduces the speed) when it's used up.

19. Billy4184

Billy4184

This is done by restricting the module types in the inspector of each Module Mount on the ship.

20. Billy4184

Billy4184

The character is not a fully functioning character controller. It is simply an adaptation of Unity's Standard Assets character to show you how you can enter and exit ships. If you want plenty of character functionality you may want to check out some of the well-developed character assets on the store.

21. TheGonzoGamer

TheGonzoGamer

THank you for the responses.

Essentially I am looking to recreate FTL from 10 years ago in 3d.

Basically, small capital ships with subsystems like
    a shield system
    engine system
    weapon system
    cloaking system
    etc;

They were individually target-able. I got 'something' working but I doubt it's the best approach.
    Amazing work on the kit by the way.
    Oh before I forget, importing the package give an error on the prefab file 'LaunchController.prefab'
    corrupt or missing nested prefabs

22. cobaltBlue

cobaltBlue

Hi, I just wanted to check if I bought SCK would I get any discount on MCK? Since they seem to share the same core system...

23. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! Although both kits share a foundation they do have plenty of content unique to their genre.

There's no discount right now, but it's something I'm considering for the future.

24. cobaltBlue

cobaltBlue

Thx for the reply. I was just checking since some asset sellers seem to do that. I actually plan to get MCK for the game I'm developing right now but wanted to see if it was cheaper to get SCK and MCK if it had some sort of tied discount since SCK is on sale right now and is actually cheaper than the full price MCK and I wouldn't mind eventually getting both since both seem like solid assets for the games I might want to make.

25. brittany

brittany

Did you take the demo down? It says page can't be found.

26. Billy4184

Billy4184

There's no demo on the asset store page, will probably put a PC demo up there soon.

brittany likes this.
  27. iramrao1

iramrao1

how to activate mobile controls...i made the build but controls are not working on mobile deveice

28. Zapgun

Zapgun

Also getting this error with the new version.

29. iichiversii

iichiversii

Can you please upload a compete demo of gameplay, its very difficult to know the capabilities of this plugin just from videos, I personally would like to test all types of gameplay before purchasing, please

30. JauntyBearGames

JauntyBearGames

Just trying this asset and failing on a fresh install with the latest Unity LTS. Is it a known issue?

Problem detected while importing the Prefab file: 'Assets/SpaceCombatKit/SpaceCombat/Demos/Prefabs/LaunchController.prefab'.
    The file might be corrupt or have missing nested Prefabs. See details below.
    Errors:
    Prefab instance problem: CapitalShip_Engine_Right (Missing Prefab with guid: 4e058dc233e78294ba01d6914e2c026b). 2 instances are missing the same Prefab
    Prefab instance problem: CapitalShip_Hull (Missing Prefab with guid: f8043be3547819e4a8a48406952ddf75)
    Prefab instance problem: CapitalShip_CommandCenter (Missing Prefab with guid: a0ce0a19b0d9f1d4aaa4ddae3c77a71f)

31. BetaMark

BetaMark

Tested and confirmed. Fresh install. Errors on import for LaunchController. I opened up the LaunchController prefab and I see the errors for the missing nested prefabs the same as JauntyBearGames.

Environment:
    * Unity 2021.3.4f1 (LTS)
    * Fresh project, URP template, from Unity Hub 3.2.0
    * Imported full project, Space Combat Kit: Version 2.3.2 (Asset Store released: May 19, 2022)

I also searched the project and I don't see the prefabs in there either.

@Billy4184 Is it possible that some prefabs didn't make it into 2.3.2?

Space Combat Kit errors.png

Original Error Text:

Problem detected while importing the Prefab file: 'Assets/SpaceCombatKit/SpaceCombat/Demos/Prefabs/LaunchController.prefab'.
    The file might be corrupt or have missing nested Prefabs. See details below.
    Errors:
    Prefab instance problem: CapitalShip_Engine_Right (Missing Prefab with guid: 4e058dc233e78294ba01d6914e2c026b). 2 instances are missing the same Prefab
    Prefab instance problem: CapitalShip_Hull (Missing Prefab with guid: f8043be3547819e4a8a48406952ddf75)
    Prefab instance problem: CapitalShip_CommandCenter (Missing Prefab with guid: a0ce0a19b0d9f1d4aaa4ddae3c77a71f)

32. jonyhardware

jonyhardware

Hello before buying I would like to try it for mobile devices thanks

33. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, sorry for the late response, the fast support is via the contact email or Discord, I'm not always on the forum.

Are you still having issues?

34. Billy4184

Billy4184

Will do shortly, thanks for pointing it out.

35. Billy4184

Billy4184

(also @BetaMark ) version 2.4 is out, fixes these issues. Thanks for reporting.

BetaMark likes this.
  36. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'll upload a mobile demo shortly.

37. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

Hi ! I'm trying to have more than 2 trackable types. I modified the enum set in itrackable.cs but i have problems. I'm using an old version because I started project in 2018. TNX

38. Billy4184

Billy4184

It's been a long long time that the trackable types have been upgraded to scriptable objects rather than enum. 2018 is 4 years ago now! Lots has changed in that time, I suggest upgrading to a newer version.

39. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

No support for old version ? We have more than 40 scenes in our game ... How long is support for a new version ? 2 years ?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  40. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

ndaunt likes this.
  41. RancherG

RancherG

I'm wanting to do a VR space combat game. Any suggestions on how to get this to work in VR?

42. Billy4184

Billy4184

There's no demo scene or direct integration for VR, but the HUD can easily be set up for world space (which is one of the main issues for VR). Setting up controllers is something you'd have to do, but creating your own input scripts is straightforward.

There's a bunch of people in the Discord who have made it work in VR and you can check the #vr-support channel there if you wish: https://discord.gg/Pcw9TFw

43. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hello everyone, I'm working on a major (paid) upgrade to the Space Combat Kit for 2023 which will vastly improve the core framework and add a bunch of new exciting features!

If you're familiar with the kit you'll know it's roughly divided into the following main systems:

- Vehicle Framework
    - Spaceship Controller
    - Camera System
    - Weapons System
    - Radar/HUD System
    - Health System
    - Loadout System
    - AI System

With this upgrade, the goal is to improve the usability and, if possible, add at least one major feature to each of these systems.

Along with this, the following features will be added:

- Multiple seats in a spaceship
    - Split-screen support
    - Space station docking
    - Pathing animations (e.g. for landing)
    - Complete input framework with controls rebinding using Unity's Input System
    - Vastly improved AI (especially group AI management)
    - Framework for using any character controller in a moving ship

There are more features I want to add before launch but I'm not sure I can fit them in so I'll update this list as I get closer to release.

I will also be posting development videos as I work on things to show you how it's all coming along. Here's the first one showing the third person character from Unity's Starter Assets walking around in a ship that's moving (ship is demo only, by Creepy Cat, check out their asset store).

Please join the Discord community to follow development more closely or ask any questions you wish!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    BetaMark and JFI66 like this.
  44. BetaMark

BetaMark

That camera composite thing with the static interior is super smart. Especially with the lights impacting the interior, I would have never even considered that and spent my days struggling with rigidbody on a moving platform.

Also I'm very excited about the multiplayer/split screen ability. Are you considering multiplayer/network for the vehicle framework in the future?

I have both of your combat kits already, and I'm excited to add this one to my collection as soon as it is available.

JFI66 likes this.
  45. Billy4184

Billy4184

I was inspired by an article about Warframe, it seems complicated at first but once you get your head around it it's pretty straight forward.

Possibly, but no definite plans yet.

46. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey guys, here's a video showing some cool improvements to the engines and engine effects that are coming in the upgrade, check it out!

HeadClot88 and JFI66 like this.
  47. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

I have a non-support question for like-minded users. I am returning to my 3D space shooter based on SCK after a couple years away from it. I would appreciate some assistance with general level/scene creation and persistence.

My idea was to somehow setup a 3D grid for scenes from 100 cells high, wide, and deep. Sector 0,0,0 would be 10,000 units in size (as are each of the other scenes), located at the center, and contain our solar system. Hitting an invisible collider at the edge of the sector in any direction will take the player's ship into the next sector in that direction. Wormholes will of course allow for faster than light travel from major sector to major sector. When leaving a sector, all data should be saved to a json file, and when entering a sector, all data should be loaded from a json file for consistency.

Not all sectors will contain planets or other objects, but some will, and their properties (like distance from sun, orbit speed, name, owner, resources available, prices, etc.) need to remain consistent from visit to visit.

How would I go about creating that kind of grid system?
    Would I need to make every GameObject that requires persistence to be a ScriptableObject?

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions.
    Mark

48. BetaMark

BetaMark

I am no expert and can only speak from the advice given to me when trying to build a similar "infinite space" with grids & voxels.

1) floating origin -- move the scene around your player, not the other way around. There are also hybrid approaches where you do move the player, but when you hit a certain number of units from origin, you move the whole universe and the player back to 0x0x0. This solves the rounding float precision problem when you get far from origin.

2) If you are going to have objects with any kind of state (position, contents, game logic components, game logic state), have them serialized out via someone smart like ODIN or one of the other data serializers that can optimize your reads & writes for you. Whatever you do, don't try and write your own serializer from scratch (like I did). In just my brief exploration down that path, I ended up with a huge amount of data trying to read/write on scene change / load and wasting a ton of time tracking it down just to find that my serializer had walked the whole hierarchy of a SO and all the prefabs that it pointed to. Even worse, my fix was a breaking change -- so I had to write a versioned data/state storage migration script to keep from breaking the save files. Again, tons of time I should have been spending writing game logic.

3) from SCK's recommendation (In the video a few posts above, I think), if you want to have things (like your player or NPCs) moving inside of things that move (like a ship), don't actually move the outside layer, have a separate area of the scene that represent's the outside word to move & spin a camera around in it to make the player feel that they are moving their character around inside a ship that is moving, while it is actually the second camera that is moving around the world (following that floating origin method from #1) and just projecting the results outside of the stationary ship into the game view to make the player feel like the ship is moving.

4) If you are thinking about *ever* adding multi-player, start thinking about it now :)

49. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Thanks so much for responding, and for the tips and ideas.

- Nope, not for this go round, not LIVE multi-player at least. I was thinking about offering a set number of "turns" meaning you can enter so many sectors before you run out of time. Then, you have to logoff, and someone else might run there turns. Just like the good old BBS days.

50. BetaMark

BetaMark

There was something magical about BBS door apps, and later the CircleMUD / DikuMUD based RPGs that really engaged my imagination in a way that I find it hard to do with all the modern pixels and immersive sound :)

The game designer had to really *hook* the player. There had to some a *reason* for nearly every action. Nothing was wasted.

I kind of ache to get to the point in unity development that I feel like I can focus most of my mental energy on the game design. But first I gotta figure out why the IK on this one prefab variant keeps wiggling whenever there are 3 characters on the screen...

Excited to see what you are working on though. Do you have a video or gif showing what you had done previously?