Search Unity

Template Space Combat Kit (VSXGames) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Billy4184, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

Feel free to ask questions any time! There are plenty more tutorial videos and features coming. I appreciate the kind words and I'm glad it's helping you put your game together :)

2. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

So I got the weapons to work (sort of) but still no HUD or radar visible. Its not a layer mask issue. I cant figure it out though. Works fine in the demo.
    I tried what you suggested but I'm not sure if my calls to the game agent are registering properly (I dont know a good way to check).

1. In a fresh, empty scene, I dragged in my player controller and my vehicle controller.
    2. I dragged in the SpaceFighterFriendly prefab as a base.
    3. I attached a game agent component to my player, a vehicle camera to my main camera and a vehicle component to my vehicle. I have an event that fires when getting on/off my vehicle controller so I set that to call the game agent enterVehicle().
    4. I deleted the rigidbody and any components dependent on it from the SpcaeFighterFriendly prefab (not needed 99% sure) since it conflicts with my vehicle controller, set all the references in the inspectors of all the components and pressed play...

At this point, nothing happened. My vehicle controller took possesion of the SpaceFighterFriendly prefab as expected and all my camera and vehicle controls were still intact but nothing to indicate any activity from SCK.

5. Using the Space Fighter demo scene as reference, I dragged in all the scene scripts present there and then childed a triggerables controls and targeting controls to my player controller gameobject which still has the game agent attached.

This brought me to where I'm at now (a bit stuck).
    Passing "none" to the game agent upon exiting the vehicle throws an exception (ArgumentException: Object of type 'UnityEngine.Object' cannot be converted to type 'VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.Vehicle'.). It sees me when I get on but not off (Is there a proper way to pass "null" that I'm unaware of? Or should I write a little script for this?).
    This causes the SCK weapons on the ship to still fire when mouse clicked even after I get off the ship.
    On the other hand, when getting on the ship, I expect the HUD to activate but it doesn't. Activating it manually makes the 3Dradar sphere visible but still no UI (targeting boxes, etc). I really am at a loss as to why. I played with the camera references on the various components but I just broke it more.
    I can hear the radar acquire targets and even cycling them with the N,M,comma and period buttons. I can shoot the guns and missiles hit targets no problem. This indicates that at least the triggerables manager in scene and also the triggerables controls and targeting controls on the game agent are set up and working right. I think I added all the components needed but I have no way to be sure other than bothering you (sorry). Aaaand it still doesn't work.
    Please help Obi-Wan, you're our only hope...

3. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Sorry if I seem advanced in some areas and a caveman in others, I'm primarily an artist and game designer with limited coding skills on a massively ambitious solo project. I know my way around Unity pretty well though so any wisdom laid out by you will be thoroughly studied and applied. I'm actually loving SCK despite the hardknocks brought on by my own boneheadedness. Your tutorial vids are on repeat in my office since last night. Thanks again, bro. I patiently await the next breadcrumbs lol

Billy4184 likes this.
  4. Billy4184

Billy4184

Well this kit is for you then! My goal is to make the process of building a game less about raw coding and more about putting blocks (components) in the scene and wiring them (with Unity events) together. Something like unreal's blueprints but using Unity's inspector.

Sometimes I have to break a big block up into small blocks, so that it gives people the flexibility and customization they need. So it's definitely not a '1-click' game solution but if customers can build unique, highly customized games with this kit without writing code, I think I will have achieved the goal.

Many more tutorial videos and documentation to come!

Wetw0rx likes this.
  5. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, here's a new tutorial video showing how to create enemy waves! This is a new feature added today, if you have bought the kit PM me to get your hands on it now!

I have also recently added:
    • Burst fire mode for projectile launchers (guns and missiles).
    • Introduced the Health Modifier component (previously named Damage Emitter) which allows projectile and beam weapons to do both damage and healing.
    • On each Team (scriptable object asset) you can specify which other teams are hostile to it.
    • Ships now appear on radar with the Team of the game agent that is flying them.
    • When a game agent enters a ship, the target selectors automatically switch to looking for the teams that are hostile to the team of that game agent.
    • Hit layer mask added for beam and projectile hits (specify which layers the raycast ignores).

Wetw0rx and francoiscoiscois like this.
  6. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Success!! I made an extra camera and set it as the vehicle camera rendering depth only and masking UI and turrets layers for the radar. This allows me to keep my own vehicle and camera control while SCK calls the dummy cam when entering vehicle. When exiting, I made a dummy vehicle named "On Foot" and just set that and its dummy cam via events, etc. It only took a few days of obsessing over it but SCK is now fully integrated into my project. AIs, SCK weapons and full radar with the holographic thingy all working flawlessly along side my own systems. The key was nailing down all the necessary SCK components and placing them precisely in the hierarchy and setting up the right references and events. Not so east since I had to tailor it to fit what I already got. It took a ton of trial and error but epic space battles are now erupting in the outer rim colonies, lol.
    I may have some questions about extending the power management system but for now I'm way too busy dogfighting and testing different ship and weapons set ups/tweaks (mega fun, btw). Thanks again for the great tutorials and stellar asset. I'll leave a great review on the asset store for sure.

7. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

[OT] A missed masterpiece:

8. Billy4184

Billy4184

Glad you got that working, and I appreciate the review!

I didn't quite understand why you needed that extra camera. If you would like to comment here or PM me with details of the specific things that were most troublesome for setting up the parts of the kit that you needed, I will try to make them easier to do.

EDIT @Wetw0rx I didn't see one of your earlier comments. Here's a video showing how to release control of the camera when the player exits a vehicle, highlighting a couple of changes I had to make.

Here's a link to the SCK discord where you can find a channel with a link to the latest version of the kit (the channel can be accessed by PM'ing me your invoice numbers):
    https://discord.gg/BxfQfKZ

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Wetw0rx likes this.
  9. Roachie

Roachie

Its been awhile since i have used this project and i am excited to checkout all the new features.

I have a fresh install of Unity 2019.3.0f3

fresh install of space combat kit gives me a ton of compile errors

Assets\SpaceCombatKit\TextMesh Pro\Examples & Extras\Scripts\TextConsoleSimulator.cs(84,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'TMP_Text' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

If i install text mesh pro it gives me namespace errors

Am i missing something ? Did not see anything in the documentation about what other assets are required e.t.c

Any help would be much appreciated.

10. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Roachie you'll have a lot of fun with it!

I recommend deleting the TextMesh Pro folder under the Space Combat Kit, and reimporting the examples and extras when you install it again.

Looks like Unity changed a namespace in one of their updates.

11. Roachie

Roachie

@Billy4184 Thanks for the tip Billy. I deleted the folder, then reimported via the Unity editor (Windows->TextMeshpro->Essentials and Extras and that fixed it.

Billy4184 likes this.
  12. Billy4184

Billy4184

Sent an update to the store:

- Vehicle Class and Module Type are now scriptable objects, not enums. Now, you can easily create new ones in your project by Right-Click -> Create in the Project tab!

- Made it easier to display stats for different types of modules in the loadout by adding a base class for general module stats, as well as derived classes for guns and missile module stats. You can derive from the base class to display specific info for your own modules.

- Added the CameraTarget component to store CameraViewTargets on a vehicle. Previously they were stored in the Vehicle component, which made the vehicle and camera system unnecessarily dependent.

Check out the Space Combat Kit now!

img.jpg

Adrad likes this.
  13. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, a big step toward making this kit even more powerful and easy to use with the addition of Condition Triggers!

Condition Triggers allow you to check a set of conditions (functions that return True or False) before running a function. They can be used anywhere in your game to make sure functions are running only when they should.

Check out this example where a weapon checks if ammo is available before firing:

Happy developing!

14. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hello everyone! To make all sorts of stuff in this kit easier to create, I am adding wizards that allow you to define specific properties of an item and then have it created for you instantly!

Don't forget to pick up your copy of the Space Combat Kit here!

Silvermurk, JFI66 and hjohnsen like this.
  15. JimTheHermit

JimTheHermit

Um, is there anymore to the User Guide besides the 8.5 pages? My ship flops around in a circle in Scene view. Also, how do you fly the ships? W and S control thrust, but it doesn't stop the rotating

16. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hello and thanks for purchasing the kit!

This is the link to the current documentation (28 pages so far). I am working on creating online documentation as it will be much easier to maintain and always up-to-date.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rfhkpu9vkuw0xm/SpaceCombatKit_2.0_UserGuide.pdf?dl=0

What do you mean when you say the ship 'flops around'? Is this the demo scene or your own scene?

In the demos, the steering is controlled by the mouse, but you can disable mouse steering and use axes from Unity's Input Manager instead (by default set up with Horizontal and Vertical which are the arrow keys).
    upload_2020-2-2_10-38-32.png

17. JimTheHermit

JimTheHermit

My own scene. I was following the manual. It tumbles in a small circle constantly. Increasing the thrust makes the circle bigger. I'll take a look at the updated manual

18. Billy4184

Billy4184

Check out this tutorial video which will definitely help you out!

HeadClot88 likes this.
  19. magique

magique

@Billy4184 I just tried the WebGL demo of the latest version and was surprised to find the first person controller feature. However, it does seem a bit primitive and doesn't have any bobbing, swaying, footstep sounds, gun animations, etc. Are there plans to improve this part?

In the event the fps controller won't be getting major updates soon, how easy is it to take another FPS controller, like the standard assets one, and adapt it to work with SCK?

JimTheHermit likes this.
  20. Levellers

Levellers

Trying to get Rewired integration and I'm running into a bunch of namespace errors. They all seem related to input systems.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\SpaceCombatKit\Systems\InputSystem\Scripts\GeneralInput.cs(10,18): error CS0101: The namespace 'VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat' already contains a definition for 'GeneralInput
    2. Assets\SpaceCombatKit\Systems\VehiclesSystem\Scripts\VehicleInput\VehicleInputType.cs(10,17): error CS0101: The namespace 'VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat' already contains a definition for 'VehicleInputType'
    3. Assets\SpaceCombatKit\Systems\VehiclesSystem\Scripts\Modules\ModuleManager.cs(20,32): error CS0111: Type 'ModuleManager' already defines a member called 'Awake' with the same parameter types
    4. Assets\SpaceCombatKit\Systems\VehiclesSystem\Scripts\VehicleInput\VehicleInput.cs(26,33): error CS0111: Type 'VehicleInput' already defines a member called 'Start' with the same parameter types

21. Billy4184

Billy4184

It sounds like you must have duplicated some of the scripts in the Project folder. The Rewired integration does not contain any duplicate scripts from the rest of the kit.

If you import the kit into a fresh project, and then install the Rewired integration, do you still get errors?

22. Levellers

Levellers

I tried re-importing SCK and Rewired into the existing project and it has thrown even more errors. Most of them are NullReferenceExcemptions and fixable. I than ran into a Keynotfoundexception

Code (CSharp):
    1. KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    2. System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    3. VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.PlayerAIVehicleManager.UpdateTrackables (VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.GameAgent gameAgent) (at Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Unsorted/Utility/PlayerAIVehicleManager.cs:66)
    4. VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.PlayerAIVehicleManager.OnVehicleEntered (VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.GameAgent gameAgent) (at Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Unsorted/Utility/PlayerAIVehicleManager.cs:91)
    5. UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`1[T1].Invoke (T1 args0) (at <f38c71c86aa64e299d4cea9fb7c715e1>:0)
    6. UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1[T0].Invoke (T0 arg0) (at <f38c71c86aa64e299d4cea9fb7c715e1>:0)
    7. VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.Vehicle.OnEntered (VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.GameAgent newOccupant) (at Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Systems/VehiclesSystem/Scripts/Vehicles/Vehicle.cs:217)
    8. VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.GameAgent.EnterVehicle (VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.Vehicle newVehicle) (at Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Systems/VehiclesSystem/Scripts/GameAgents/GameAgent.cs:145)
    9. VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.GameAgent.Start () (at Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Systems/VehiclesSystem/Scripts/GameAgents/GameAgent.cs:110)
    It's worth noting that this started after I updated Rewired. Before the update all was fine.

I'm going to keep messing around. Just hopes this helps you in some way too since SCK is actually quite good.

23. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Are you both (@Levellers and @Billy4184) using the same version of Unity and Rewired?

Billy4184 likes this.
  24. Billy4184

Billy4184

I just imported SCK and the Rewired integration into a new project in Unity 2019.3.0f5, and there were no errors. What version of Unity are you using? Also, does it happen in a fresh project or is it only the existing one that has problems?

Glad you like the kit! :)

25. Levellers

Levellers

Billy4184 likes this.
  26. Levellers

Levellers

Got a solution in case anyone else needs it:
    -Removed rewired and SCK from the project
    -Then went to Help/Reset packages to default. (found in this thread)
    -Reimported Rewired then SCK and all is fine

Billy4184 likes this.
  27. Zeldafreakneo

Zeldafreakneo

Hello there!

I have been reading in this thread that other people are having issues installing the asset package. I have tried a few things but I cant get the package to work,

In a fresh install I have hundreds of compiler errors.

I am using unity version 2019.3.3f1

EDIT: I resolved this by using the Help/Reset Package to default without deleting anything.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  28. Billy4184

Billy4184

The problem is with the Package Manager UI package, which is required for Unity 2018's package manager, but which is deprecated/causes errors in 2019. You can simply uninstall it in Unity 2019.

I will be fixing this up in the next update.

JFI66 and Zeldafreakneo like this.
  29. Zeldafreakneo

Zeldafreakneo

Thanks for the quick reply. I super appreciate the quick support!

JFI66 and Billy4184 like this.
  30. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, it's been a little while since the Space Combat Kit was updated on the asset store, but I just submitted a new version with a bunch of new features!

Additions:
    • New wave system for spawning enemy waves.
    • Ships can land/take off from angled surfaces.
    • Added option to VehicleEngines3D to reduce the amount of steering available to the player based on how fast the ship is going.
    • Added the Camera Target component to store Camera View Targets on a vehicle, rather than storing them in the Vehicle component.
    • Added a powerful Conditions system that enables you to check functions with a True/False return type before running an event, all in the inspector.
    • Separated the auto/burst/fire modes from the Projectile Launcher and Beam Controller into its own Repeater class, providing you with more customisability and enabling you to check conditions before firing weapons.
    • Added the Game State Enabler component which allows you to set up functions in the inspector that are called when entering specific game states.
    • Added editor wizard for creating missile weapons.
    • Added behaviour on AI game agents to return to center when they get too far away.
    • Added stats controllers for showing stats for different types of modules.

Demo Improvements:
    • Added a new Carrier capital ship.
    • Added carrier launch to the space fighter demo.
    • Added wrecks and improved the explosions for the capital ships in the demo.
    • Added a hologram for the enemy fighter.

Minor Changes:
    • DamageEmitter has been changed to Health Modifier.
    • When the player/AI enters vehicle, the vehicle’s Trackable updates its Team and the radar searches for targets on hostile teams.
    • Changed Vehicle Class and Module Type to scriptable objects rather than enums.
    • HUD Cursor now works in both world-space and screen-space UI without any modifications.

Here are a few screenshots of the updated demo scene:

Carrier Launch

screenshot.png

Enemy Carrier

screenshot2.png

Wrecked Parts

Screenshot3.png

hjohnsen and JFI66 like this.
  31. JimTheHermit

JimTheHermit

If it could work with this
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/ufps-ultimate-fps-106748
    I'll be very happy (as soon as I buy and figure out how to use that)

32. Zeldafreakneo

Zeldafreakneo

I am having a few issues with AI scripts.

For instance, the behavior selector script/component wont allow me to select any scripts after I have increased the Behavior array. It doesn't seem to want to take any object at all.

33. JimTheHermit

JimTheHermit

[QUOTE="
    I recommend deleting the TextMesh Pro folder under the Space Combat Kit, and reimporting the examples and extras when you install it again.

Looks like Unity changed a namespace in one of their updates.[/QUOTE]
    This is not working for me. I'm using 2019.3.0f6

34. Billy4184

Billy4184

Are you having problems with errors when downloading the kit? Remove the Package Manager UI package from the project.

This is something that Unity (for some reason) adds to the package dependencies in Unity 2018, even though it has nothing specifically to do with the kit, but is redundant in Unity 2019.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  35. Billy4184

Billy4184

I just tested increasing the size of the Behaviours array and adding more behaviours, and it works fine. It's just a standard List object.

Are you by any chance using a third party asset for modifying the inspector?

36. lolaswift

lolaswift

Broken in Unity 2019.3.4x. Got hundreds of error CS0246. One of them:
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.package-manager-ui@2.0.3\Editor\Sources\UI\PackageAddFromUrlField.cs(50,45): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'FocusOutEvent' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

37. Billy4184

Billy4184

@lolaswift please remove the Package Manager UI package from your project via the package manager. Unity insist on adding it as a dependency when uploading the SCK package from Unity 2018, even though it can't be removed from a project in that version anyway.

lolaswift likes this.
  38. lolaswift

lolaswift

thx. that removed the error.

JFI66 likes this.
  39. Roachie

Roachie

Is there a guide about how to define a surface as landable ? i tried just a basic box collider but it wouldnt give me the"Landing" option. Looking at the supplied documentation it only talked about creating scenes/ships e.t.c

Does the onfoot "vehicle" take into account gravity, i wanted to make a sphere the player can walk around and land on.

EDIT: NM i see you added an online documentation link above. will give it a read. thx

40. Billy4184

Billy4184

The fighters in the main demo are definitely a bit faster and snappier than most games out there. There are plenty of parameters you can adjust in the AI, such as spending more time evading which would give you a better chance to take them out. Also the aim assist angle can be increased for the weapons.

41. Billy4184

Billy4184

The parameters for landing can be found on the Ship Lander component on the fighter prefabs. These parameters include how close you have to be to start landing, as well as the layer mask for the colliders that are considered landable (this is probably what you are looking for).

42. lolaswift

lolaswift

Hi, I noticed that the demo scene has changed to tutorial. I think the old demo scene was better

43. Billy4184

Billy4184

Which old demo scene was that?

44. lolaswift

lolaswift

I think I was confused with another asset.Silly!
    This asset is Perfect! It's getting better and better. the best combat kit.
    Sorry

Billy4184 likes this.
  45. Billy4184

Billy4184

Glad to hear you like it! :)

46. runningbird

runningbird

finally purchased this! Great Combat ... love the "StarLancer / FreeLancer" mode!

Billy4184 likes this.
  47. Billy4184

Billy4184

Awesome, have fun with it!

48. shivansps

shivansps

On 2019.3.4f1 while it works i have constants null exceptions on scene.

Another thing, lest say i want to change how to control a capital ship, i want the controls to work in a diferent way for movement and steering, where should i start? PlayerCapitalShipFlightControls only controls setup for inputs right?
    What i want to is to make it work more like a ship, for example i set rudder 20° to left and release, the ship will continusly turn in that direction at the specified speed until changed.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  49. Billy4184

Billy4184

@shivansps those errors come from an issue with Unity's post processing where if you import prefabs with post processing scripts attached before installing the post processing package, script settings get permanently messed up (even when the package is installed straight afterward).

Where did you import SCK from, as a unitypackage or from the asset store? Either way, you can solve this by making sure that the Post Processing package is installed via the package manager before you bring SCK into a project.

50. Billy4184

Billy4184

The PlayerCapitalShipFlightControls uses the Input Manager, and if you go there, for the control axes you can set the 'Gravity' value to 0 to prevent an axis returning to 0 when you release the input. Currently the capital ship uses the 'Roll' axis to turn - named because it's used for roll when flying fighters.

If you don't want it to affect other ships, you can create a new input axis for the capital ship with gravity set to 0, and add it in the inspector of PlayerCapitalShipFlightControls (look for Yaw Input).