Search Unity

Template Space Combat Kit (VSXGames) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Billy4184, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

See my PM.

Do you mean warnings or errors? If you mean warnings, Unity 2019 has a problem that originated from the recently adopted Roslyn compiler where any serialized properties (i.e. stuff you set in the inspector) generates warnings if it is not explicitly set in the script. See the issue tracker here. This is ridiculous and must be fixed.

Apparently Roslyn has been updated with a way to fix the issue, but Unity has not implemented it yet, see this thread.

2. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Can you post how we do this, please?

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

1. Drag the PlayerItemManager prefab into the scene.
    2. Add the capital ship prefab to the Vehicles list on the PlayerItemManager script.
    3. Save the prefab.
    4. Run the loadout scene.

JFI66 likes this.
  4. NaveGCT

NaveGCT

looks like a great asset, we will likely be getting it soon.

EDIT: Just got it. could not be more happy.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Billy4184 likes this.
  5. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you. You have been great with your support. We will update you on the multiplayer progress. We are using Mirror and the Valve Steam SDK.

Brandon_Powell and Billy4184 like this.
  6. lolaswift

lolaswift

It is so difficult to aim and shoot down the enemies. Any locking target feature?

7. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi @lolaswift, the AimAssist component snaps the weapon spawn point toward the target when it is within a specified angle. Increasing this angle will make it easier to hit targets.

AImAssist.png

8. lolaswift

lolaswift

Many thanks Billy!

Billy4184 likes this.
  9. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, I've just sent off a version to the store with a WIP documentation for 2.0 that (along with the Simple Demo scenes with accompanying text files) should help you get started with the kit :)

By the way I'll be hosting this week's Feedback Friday in the Game Design section of the forum. I'll be putting a small demo of my game up there for feedback so feel free to join in, this is your chance to show your game too and get some valuable playtesting! See you there.

JFI66 likes this.
  10. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hello everyone! I've started updating the tutorial videos for the Space Combat Kit 2.0, starting off with 'Creating the Player And AI'.

11. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hello everyone, here's a new tutorial video for the Space Combat Kit, 'Creating A New Vehicle', introducing the concept of vehicles and how to create a new vehicle in your game.

JFI66 likes this.
  12. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, based on some great feedback, I have re-done the last tutorial to include much more content on how vehicles in the kit are structured, including how the player interacts with modules loaded on the vehicle.

JFI66 likes this.
  13. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hello everyone, new tutorial video for the Space Combat Kit! In this one, we cover how to set up the vehicle camera, and how to create new camera views for your game.

JFI66 likes this.
  14. Billy4184

Billy4184

Another Space Combat Kit 2.0 tutorial video for you guys!

This tutorial covers:
    • Creating your own input scripts.
    • Creating input for your game without writing code, using the Custom Vehicle Input class and Unity Events.
    • Configuring key/mouse button/axis controls in the inspector, without writing code.
    Feedback is appreciated! :)

JFI66 likes this.
  15. Billy4184

Billy4184

New tutorial video for the Space Combat Kit 2.0!

This tutorial covers:
    • Setting up the spaceship engines.
    • Setting up spaceship flight controls/input.
    Feedback appreciated!

JFI66 likes this.
  16. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Great stuff Billy! Keep going with the tutorials! Damn, now I want to go back to my space game. I'm going to be sucking this stuff up once I finish my current project. I really appreciate the efforts, and this is going to make SCK top notch. It was already a cool asset, now it's getting awesome.

Billy4184 and JFI66 like this.
  17. Billy4184

Billy4184

New tutorial for the Space Combat Kit 2.0!

This tutorial covers the flexible Triggerables system for the Space Combat Kit, which enables you to quickly set up projectile weapons, beam weapons, missiles and other types of triggerable modules on your spaceships, characters or any other vehicles.

- How the Triggerables system works.
    - Setting up a triggerable module.
    - Configuring how triggerable modules are fired.
    - Setting up trigger inputs.

Feedback much appreciated!

JFI66 likes this.
  18. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone! I've finished the Rewired integration for the Space Combat Kit 2.0. Includes keyboard/mouse/gamepad(template)/joystick(template) support for all essential controls on all vehicles.

You'll need an updated version of the kit, so until that's landed on the store PM me your invoice number and I'll send you a copy.

Don't forget to read the manual, and let me know if anything's not clear.

Happy developing!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8mtwjpn4uj1tc5/RewiredIntegration2.0.unitypackage?dl=0

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    JFI66 likes this.
  19. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hello everyone! Here's a link to the current documentation (so far around 25 pages of detailed info, along with inspector snaps and explanation of inspector settings on key scripts).

It's not complete (it's a big kit with tons of features!) but I want to have a user guide out there for you guys that I can update along with each tutorial video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rfhkpu9vkuw0xm/SpaceCombatKit_2.0_UserGuide.pdf?dl=0

User guide currently covers:

Player/AI

- The Game Agent component
    - Creating the player
    - Creating the AI

Vehicles

- What is a vehicle
    - Creating a vehicle in your game
    - Entering and exiting vehicles

Camera

- Setting up the vehicle camera
    - Creating camera controllers for different vehicles in your game
    - Creating camera views for your vehicle
    - Tracking a game agent (player/AI) with the camera as they switch between vehicles

Input

- Basics of vehicle input
    - Setting up input for the player
    - Setting up input for the AI

The Module System

- Explanation of 3 key components (module managers, module mounts and modules)
    - Creating your own Module Manager scripts
    - Setting up modules on a vehicle
    - Adding new modules to a vehicle during gameplay
    - Switching modules on a vehicle during gameplay

Controlling Vehicles

- Controlling a first person character (controller and input scripts)
    - Controlling a space fighter (controller and input scripts)
    - Controlling a capital ship (controller and input scripts)

Setting Up Triggerables/Weapons

- The Triggerables Manager
    - Creating triggerable modules (e.g. weapons)
    - Loading triggerable modules
    - Setting up trigger inputs

I'll be posting here every time I update the user guide, so keep an eye on this thread!

midian808 and JFI66 like this.
  20. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, I'm working on mobile controls, will be updated on the store shortly.

Mobile.png
    Mobile2.png

If you have any ideas for what you'd like to see in the mobile controls, let me know!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Neviah and JFI66 like this.
  21. Billy4184

Billy4184

JFI66 likes this.
  22. ckegar

ckegar

Billy4184,
    Loadout scene is entirely broken.

23. ckegar

ckegar

Issue with 19.5:9 aspect ratio.

24. kendo353

kendo353

Hi Billy. thanks for updating the kit. i'm investigating the feasibility of using it for a victorian battleship prototype. :)

just swung by to ask if you would kindly update the Behaviour Designer integrations package, please. the one on dropbox (a few pages back) throws up multiple errors and i'm too much of a numpty to fix them. cheers.

25. Billy4184

Billy4184

Thanks for letting me know! I've fixed the error and uploaded to the store. If you join my Discord I'll set you up with the update :)

Please explain your issue in detail.

26. Billy4184

Billy4184

Will do!

27. ckegar

ckegar

28. bluezephyrapps

bluezephyrapps

I've purchased this asset and loving it so far. Do you have documentation on configuring the AI though? The documentation I have from the package seems to stop after making vehicles damageable and trackable.

29. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, glad you're enjoying the kit! There's no documentation as yet on the AI, but I will hopefully spend next week putting the rest of the documentation into order. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have in the meantime.

JFI66 likes this.
  30. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, the Space Combat Kit is 50% off right now! If you've been thinking about making a head start on that space game idea you've got, get your hands on it now!!

I'm going through the process of revamping the demo scenes to do a better job of showcasing what this kit can do.

Try out this WebGL demo and let me know what you think!

Pic1.png
    Pic2.png
    Pic3.png

JFI66 likes this.
  31. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, don't forget the Space Combat Kit is 50% off right now, grab it while it's hot!

I've been spending some time putting together more up-to-date documentation and demos for the radar and HUD features. Take a look at the attached PDF, that's only a small part of what this kit has to offer!

Here's a WebGL demo of the radar in action, for those who aren't yet familiar with it.

Untitled.png

Attached Files:

32. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, the Space Combat Kit is still 50% off, you won't have much longer to get your hands on the best game template on the asset store at this low price!!

33. Billy4184

Billy4184

Time is running out to grab the Space Combat Kit at 50% off in the Black Friday Sale, ending very soon!

If what you see in this video looks like something you need, grab it now!

Dark-Muppeteer, Neviah and JFI66 like this.
  34. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

My game is growing ! TNX SCK !

35. Billy4184

Billy4184

Wow! Looks great :)

frankadimcosta likes this.
  36. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, I have a very healthy Discord going on but that means that unfortunately this thread gets a bit quiet.
    So I've decided to post updates/bug fixes here as well for prospective customers to see how this kit is coming along.

Today:
    • Fixed shield not restoring correctly after being destroyed.
    • Added a delay for recharging the shield after a hit.
    Untitled.png
    • Created events for when the player or AI enters a vehicle, to enable/disable/configure different components. For example, when the player enters a vehicle the trail renderers are disabled, and when the AI enters the radar audio is disabled, etc.
    • Set up all scenes with the Floating Origin Manager.
    • Added events called right before and after a floating origin shift. Currently used to clear the trail renderers to prevent stretching/glitches.
    • Removed the IFloatingOriginUser interface and the TrailRendererOriginShiftManager components - no longer necessary with the new events (see above).
    • Fixed bug in Floating Origin Manager that positioned a Floating Origin Child incorrectly when it was registered.

37. Billy4184

Billy4184

Great news, the Space Combat Kit is now 50% off for the Cyber Week Mega Sale! If you haven't already got your hands on it, now is your chance!

38. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, based on an excellent suggestion from a customer, I have begun changing enums in the kit to scriptable objects!

The problem with enums is:

- You have to go into the script and modify the code.
    - You cannot remove any values in the enum or all your settings throughout your project would get messed up.
    - If you're not careful, all your added values might get erased when you update to a newer version of the kit.

These problems are gone with Scriptable Objects! Now you can create new values of your own right in the editor, just by right-clicking on the Project tab and creating a new asset of that type.

Untitled.png
    Above, you can see how easy it is to add a new Team to your game!

I have converted both the Team and the HealthType enums to Scriptable Objects. There are a number of enums in the kit that will be updated in near future.

Happy developing!

PS don't forget the Space Combat Kit is currently 50% off for the Cyber Week Mega Sale!

39. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, as part of a push to make the Space Combat Kit even easier to use, and to enable more work to be done in the editor without coding, I am developing a Boolean Conditions system.

This system lets you check if a set of conditions are True or False before doing something, without having to access components directly via code. Instead, add the functions or properties you need to check directly in the inspector.

For example, in the attached image, a weapon can check if ammo is available before firing. You could add other functions, for example to check if enough power is available for an energy weapon, without having to go in and write any code. It also enables much better out-of-the-box integration with other assets on the store.

Let me know what you think about this, and any suggestions you have for how to make this and other things in the kit as easy as possible to use!

Untitled.png

PS don't forget the Space Combat Kit is currently 50% off for the Cyber Week Mega Sale!

Keywise and JFI66 like this.
  40. francoiscoiscois

francoiscoiscois

Hi, I bought your asset few weeks ago, as I am interested by making a starfox style game. I really like the demos included in the game. But I am a programmer beginner and I wonder how difficult it is to implement a rail mechanic like starfox with this asset ? like on this videos

Is it easy to implement ? Is it something you are planning to add ? How would you proceed if you wanted to add this mechanic ? Really hoppe to get some clues so I won't do too much beginer mistakes.

Thank you !

41. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, thanks for purchasing the kit! At the moment, everything is full 3D physics-based movement, with lateral and vertical strafing. I don't have immediate plans to implement Starfox/rails style of movement, but it's something I will look into as a possible addition to the spaceship controllers.

Have you tried to implement what you saw in the video? Did you get stuck in a specific place?

42. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey everyone, new video tutorial for the Space Combat Kit, showing the incredible flexibility you have creating damageable objects and ways to blow them up!

There isn't long left in the Cyber Week sale, so grab the Space Combat Kit at 50% off while you can!

JFI66 likes this.
  43. francoiscoiscois

francoiscoiscois

Thank you for your repply. I will start next month working on it.
    As I am really a beginner, I don't know how to implement such a mechanic on your asset. I don't want to break it, and I don't know which script I should modify. As on the video, I would find really interesting to be able to draw cinemachine curves and have the vehicle attached to the camera. then to clamp the vehicle movement to the camera screen. That would be a first step. Do you have a tip as to which script I should modify and like the big picture of what should be implemented ?
    Thanks !
    Btw I am really happy to see that you are actively developping new features on this asset, and it seems really polished !

44. Billy4184

Billy4184

The vehicle controllers can be quite easily removed and swapped out, as long as you introduce an input script that is compatible with your new controller. So you would remove the VehicleEngines3D component (which uses physics) from your ship, and add in your own vehicle controller.

Writing the Starfox-style controller isn't something I could explain better than in the video you linked. That said I may actually create one, either as part of the kit or as an add-on, since several customers have already demonstrated that they are making rails/non-physics games.

francoiscoiscois likes this.
  45. Billy4184

Billy4184

Less than 24 hours to get the ultimate Space Combat Kit at half price! Get a massive head start on that space game project you've been thinking about with spaceship controller, radar, laser and projectile weapons, health/damage/shields, loadout menu and so much more!

46. francoiscoiscois

francoiscoiscois

Hi,
    Thank you for your response,
    Now I see a bit better what I can change in the asset.
    Anyway I would be happy to buy an addon module for rail mechanism if you do it this way.
    I guess their could be other modification that could be done to adapt this asset for a rail gameplay like enemy pooling and IA... ??
    Thank you !

47. Billy4184

Billy4184

Pooling already exists in the kit for any gameobject you like, including ships and game agents (AI). The AI behaviours would definitely require customization for a rails shooter.

francoiscoiscois likes this.
  48. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Hello and happy holidays.
    I bought this asset a long while back but just recently got around to trying to implement some of its awesome features in my project.
    I'm currently working on a space sim-ish adventure game with on-foot and vehicle gameplay. I already have a character controller and camera set up that is welded onto my project.
    My question is do I have to use the SCK game agent component to integrate SCK radar, AI opponents, and possibly weapons onto an already started project? If so, should I use game states to maybe switch SCK functions on/off when getting in/out of a ship? (I really only need SCK when in ships).
    If not, which components are required to get these features to work with minimal impact on my current controllers. Or should I be trying to reproduce my current controllers' functionality with the SCK components? (gulp, I hope not)
    Ideally, I would like to keep my current player, vehicle and camera controllers while just using SCK radar, AI and weapons by calling them through code or events. However, it seems like all the components are dependent on each other to work and functionality is spread all around.
    The weapons seem pretty straight forward, just gotta tinker with the targeting controls bit, I think.
    I initially thought this would be easy but my tests with the radar have not gone too well. Also, I cant get the cockpit holographic enemy ship display to show the enemy ship like in the pics. I tried using the Spaceshipfriendly model and the spacefighter demo scene for testing but no luck
    I can read and write intermediate C# but your code is quite advanced. Any suggestions on how I should approach this? I may just be having a hard time with the structure of the kit in general and your videos have helped a lot but any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I am a bit of a blockhead so thanks in advance for your patience and attention.
    BTW, I'm using a heavily modified version of Game Kit Controller by Two Cubes from the asset store to drive most of my gameplay.
    Latest version SCK in Unity 2019.3.0f1

49. Billy4184

Billy4184

Thanks for purchasing and happy holidays for you too!

It's hard to answer this question exactly without seeing your project but I can give a few pointers.

To begin with, I have recently completely separated the radar, 2D/3D radar, target boxes, target hologram and all that stuff from the rest of the kit into its own package, which will exist as a separated folder when you download the space kit. I have a link on my Discord for this radar package, and I can PM it to you if your like. I have not finished creating the integration between this radar package and the rest of the kit just yet, but it works entirely on its own.

In regards to how you would like to use the SCK for just space combat, well my number one goal with this package is to be modular and pluggable, so one way or the other we will get this to work!

The first thing to understand about the Game Agent, as I mentioned in this tutorial video, is that it exists like a 'soul' that can inhabit different vehicles, including characters. It does not have any form except that which the vehicle it is controlling provides. Things are done this way so that this Game Agent can cross between vehicles while retaining its identity.

So following on from that, a Game Agent without a vehicle is essentially a non-entity. It cannot do anything and does not exist except as a component in the scene. So if you don't want to use the space kit when the player is on foot, simply make the player Game Agent exit the ship vehicle and not enter any other vehicle.

In regards to the camera, does your current camera setup handle spaceships, or are you looking to use the SCK's Vehicle Camera?

If you want to use the Vehicle Camera only when the player is in the ship, then, as I mention in this tutorial video, the camera controllers are added as children of the vehicle camera. If you have only a camera controller for a ship present, then when you exit the ship, the vehicle camera will simply do nothing. So it should not be hard to release control back to your own camera controller when you exit a ship.

So in short, I would suggest:
    1. Add a Game Agent component to your player.
    2. When the player enters a ship, call the GameAgent's EnterVehicle method and pass the ship's Vehicle component.
    3. When the player exits the ship, call the GameAgent's EnterVehicle method and pass a null reference.
    4. Add a VehicleCamera component to your camera, and make sure there is only a camera controller for a ship present as a child of it (see the VehicleCamera prefab to see how this works).

Let me know if something doesn't work as expected.

Wetw0rx and JFI66 like this.
  50. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Thanks for your quick response! This is exactly what I was looking for. I would like to retain the use of my own camera controllers in and out of my vehicles but your explanation about the game agent and its behavior basically got me pointed in the right direction. A separate radar module would be helpful but I'm dedicated to understanding the ins and outs of the full SCK since its so well thought out and coded. There is a huge learning opportunity here for me so thanks again for this awesome kit. The more I bang my head against it, the clearer it becomes lol. I'll chime back in with any questions going forward (hopefully more specific). Getting ready to fire up Unity now so I'll be giving it the old college try once again. BTW, SCK is unrivaled in its feature set and execution, great job.

Billy4184 and JFI66 like this.