Search Unity

Template Space Combat Kit (VSXGames) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Billy4184, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

Apologies for the delays guys, I'll be posting more tutorial videos very soon.

Vampyr_Engel and JFI66 like this.
  2. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi guys, here's the next tutorial video, Introduction to the HUD.

Feedback much appreciated!

JFI66 and Vampyr_Engel like this.
  3. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Excellent video I thought it was clear, concise and informative Well Done

Billy4184 likes this.
  4. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Hopefully next update: full joystick control please?

Billy4184 likes this.
  5. rickytsmith

rickytsmith

Good video !
    The kit includes an integration package for re-wired to support most gamepads, joysticks and HOTAS systems. It is much better to support controllers in an abstract fashion via something like rewired rather than try to build this support for all types of controllers into the kit/game itself. For testing and simpler direct Game-Pad & Joystick implementations it is possible to add the required axis for a joystick or gamepad via the Unity Input manager.

HeadClot88 and Billy4184 like this.
  6. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Oh Really? Because I have Rewired and it only seems to work for mouse and keyboard properly I also have a Saitek X45 which and it does not pick up any map for the ships in Space Combat, from the demo right through to the Quick Setup Demo so either I am doing something wrong or there is NO JOYSTICK SUPPORT IN SPACE COMBAT AT THE MOMENT certainly can't use Unity's Joystick Axises to assign Throttle Control for the throttle, and X and Y axises for turning and pitch control which I find very strange for a Space Combat package but you imply that it is there so can you actually show me then ?

7. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Oh yes I am getting this error

''Assets/Rewired/Internal/Scripts/ControllerTemplates/ControllerTemplates.cs(5301,20): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GamepadTemplate' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?''

Please advise

8. astearon

astearon

Is there any way I could find SpaceCombatKit for Unity 2017.2.0?

I have an older project that requires me to stay on that version.
    I already own the plugin but i cannot use the latest version available on the asset store.
    Is there a chance you could help me out ?

Thank you.

9. Billy4184

Billy4184

At the moment it's just mouse and keyboard, I'll try to get a generic joystick integration tonight but I'm far from my joystick atm.

Vampyr_Engel likes this.
  10. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Thats OK Billy I was replying to THAT Mr RickyTSmith over there take your time mate

11. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, I uploaded a package for 2017.3.1, is this not suitable? I try to upload for later minor versions as they usually are more stable.

12. astearon

astearon

unfortunately i tried to load it as external unitypackadge but got a whole bunch of errors.

13. Billy4184

Billy4184

That's not supposed to happen. Please email me at contact at vsxgames dot com with a screenshot of these errors.

14. astearon

astearon

e-mail sent out :)

15. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

This what I have on my own but I want the player to get into and out of vehicles and the vehicles here are both mouse and keyboard and Joystick controlled

The models are very..........basic but this is to get the gameplay right before any fancy models get in

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    astearon likes this.
  16. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

I would suggest you make the kit modular if your going to have it so it is easy for people to add or take away engines , weapons , e.t.c I would suggest you design and program it like a game but obviously with more features and with the capacity to import your own models. For the user interface I would suggest when you implement that you do it so anyone using a mouse and keyboard right up to a fully fledged Joystick H.O.T.A.S all those controls could be configured in a controls menu so when published Players could select their own controls Rewired seems to be geared for that so I would suggest just letting the Unity joystick controls be reintegrated back into the Asset. I won't really say anything about additional vehicles and the ability to have them on planets and for them to be carried by large carrier spaceship I am sure you have thought of that or had it suggested to you already and the work especially if your doing it by yourself must be great . Unfortunately I am a beginner programmer in C# and am gaining experience in it (with occasional help) I wish you well in in this endeavor with Space Combat Kit

Billy4184 likes this.
  17. FusionSticc

FusionSticc

Hello all, hope you are all doing well. It seems I have a problem where the AI agents don't seem to move around and attack each other or the player. I couldn't find much about this in the user doc, and I've followed the tutorial for setting up the player. I've placed the AIFighterSkill under the AI ship, instead of the PlayerControl, as I'm assuming that's the main difference between the AI and Player agent. However, again, they don't seem to move (copying them from the Demo Level did not help either). Any help would be gladly appreciated!

18. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi! I recommend going to the GameplayDemo scene and creating a prefab from one of the AI in that scene.

Here's the process for creating a new AI:

1. Create a new GameObject and call it something like 'ExampleAI'.

2. Add a GameAgent component, set the Team to Enemy, and assign the AI's ship (specifically the Vehicle component of the ship) to the StartingVehicle field.

3. Add a child gameobject and add an AISpaceFighterControl component to it. Also make sure the Vehicle's VehicleControlClass is 'SpaceshipFighter' so that it matches this control script.

4. Assign the FighterCombatBehaviour, ObstacleAvoidanceBehaviour and FighterPatrolBehaviour prefabs to the relevant fields on the AISpaceFighterControl components. These prefabs can be found in the SpaceCombatKit -> Demos -> Prefabs -> GameAgents -> AI -> Behaviours folder.​

Let me know how it goes.

Vampyr_Engel and JFI66 like this.
  19. FusionSticc

FusionSticc

Thanks! Works flawlessly! I must've missed something before. Cheers!

P.S. any info on the next update? no rush.

Billy4184 likes this.
  20. Billy4184

Billy4184

Glad to hear it! Hopefully I will have all of the generic templates for Rewired set up today and posted on my website as a unitypackage. This weekend I'm aiming for capital ship update.

guavaman, JFI66 and FusionSticc like this.
  21. InGameGames

InGameGames

Is it possible to separate the HUD elements? So that some are displayed on the cockpit "glass" and others follow your head?

22. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Sounds great to me. @Steve-Tack will like this too.

Billy4184 likes this.
  23. Billy4184

Billy4184

This is a good improvement I could make, to have the option to set parts of the HUD to be parented to either the helmet or the cockpit.

The HUDManager manages the different parts of the HUD, and you can use it to change the parenting of parts of the HUD.

You can use either the OnActivate function (called once when the HUD is loaded) for applying parenting once, or the OnCameraViewChanged event function (called every time the camera view changes) to set the parenting differently for different camera views.

At the moment the HUDManager has a reference to a single Cockpit object (typeof HUDShipCockpit) but this could be replaced by two parts, one for the helmet and another for the cockpit, and the parenting set as described above.

I will make a note to create a more generic system here, the way this is set up is definitely too hard-coded.

JFI66 likes this.
  24. InGameGames

InGameGames

I'm not trying to make things hard for ya, I just pipe up with suggestions if I think they can help if you feel like implementing them while I slowly learn about Unity and Maya at a snails pace on my own terms. I've been following this module for awhile and I think it's great and getting better every time I check back.

Thank you for taking my suggestion on board, I hope you know that your work is appreciated.

Billy4184 likes this.
  25. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hey guys, the Rewired stuff is delayed a bit, as I am adding 'interaction modes' to vehicles so that joysticks with limited axes/buttons can make full use of the kit. I'm using my Wingman Extreme to test this - it's a very simple stick/throttle with not a lot of options, and so I want to make it possible to select different areas of control in the ship, and activate/deactivate the relevant parts on the HUD. This also means the power management UI and trigger groups UI will become part of the HUD instead of being run separately as menus.

Vampyr_Engel likes this.
  26. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Cool Just as long as you can go forward and back, left and right ,up and down and roll or straffe side to side I m cool with that so you could make a hovertank if you wish or spaceship of course , well done Billy excellent mate ( though you could have got a Thrustmaster TFlight H.O.T.A.S X, A Wingman? Come on, Nah pulling your leg LOL)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Billy4184 likes this.
  27. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Could you do this for Starships and also have Starships be controlled by the player and A.I Pilot?

28. Razorgaunt

Razorgaunt

Hey Billy,
    OK, despite all the issues I am seeing, I just want to assure you that I love your Space Combat Kit.

I sent you an email earlier about Shader errors blocking my build. I need to also talk to you about HUD jitter, and I keep seeing the canvas, even though I'm not clicked on anything. I made vid of what I am talking about.

If you have insight into how I screwed this up, or if this is something else, please let me know.

29. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, I got your email yesterday, but I can't always deal with support issues immediately. Please check your email for my reply.

30. csofranz

csofranz

Just purchased this interesting asset a couple of days ago, and took it out for a spin today. A fw quick questions:

1. the docs say that there is integration for Rewired in the pack, but for the life of me I can't find it. Can someone give me a relative path for silly me to find it?

2. A quick test with my VR setup (VIVE, using Vive Input Utility (not Steam's VR pack) shows some incompatibilities with the HUD. Is this a know issue, and is there some easy VR integration available?

3. I can only seem to find a couple of video tutorials (which are very nice indeed, Kudos!), but I can't find any beyond the HUD integration, yet one of the first videos talk about videos that teach health and module integration (or is this a 'Marvel Avenger' situation where the sequels are planned, but not yet produced?).

Thanks for any pointers,
    -ch

Billy4184 likes this.
  31. csofranz

csofranz

With regards to 1 above - nevermind :) -- I adapted the existing controller to Rewired. Whilr going through the code, I believe I found a tiny bug:

In Awake, the second line reads:

Code (CSharp):
    2. fire1Down = Input.GetAxis("Fire2") > 0.5f;
    I believe that should have been "fire2Down" (note "2"). The bug is tiny, and only has an effect if during awakening of the player fire 1 is pressed.

Billy4184 likes this.
  32. Billy4184

Billy4184

Thanks for purchasing!

1. The Rewired integration (which at the moment is just mouse/keyboard) is here.

Today I will finish gamepad and joystick integration for Rewired, but it will not be useable until the next update (also to be sent today) becomes live. I will post some more information about this update sometime later today.

2. Can you explain a bit more about these 'incompatibilities'? Please send a support request to contact at vsxgames dot com with screenshots.

3. Glad you like the tutorials. Yes, it's a 'Marvel Avenger' situation right now ;) but not for much longer.

Thanks for reporting the firing bug, it will be fixed in the update.

JFI66 likes this.
  33. csofranz

csofranz

Billy, thank you so much for the reply. I'm now in the process of rewriting the controller for the space ship for rewired, and have a recommendation: the controller currently is set up as a catchall, not at all modularized. I'm taking this apart, with a script each for Thrust, Targeting & Fire, HUD, Radar etc. - meaning that I have a script for each logical group of actions. This makes it easy to switch them around for differenty configured vehicles. I've also parameterized the action names for easy Rewired integration:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         public string pitchAction = "Pitch";
    2.         public string yawAction = "Yaw";
    3.         public string rollAction = "Roll";
    4.         public string throttleAction = "Throttle";
    5.         public string boostAction = "Boost";
    Since using Rewired this includes Keyboard, Mouse and Joystick (and hopefully even VIVE-Controllers in the future), the entire control secition for directional controls becomes this:

Code (CSharp):
    2.                 // Pitch Yaw Roll Controls
    3.                 if (controlMode == SpaceVehicleControlMode.LinkedYawRoll) {
    4.                     roll = -player.GetAxis(rollAction);
    5.                     yaw = Mathf.Clamp(-roll * yawRollRatio, -1f, 1f);
    6.                 } else {
    7.                     roll = player.GetAxis(rollAction);
    8.                     yaw = player.GetAxis(yawAction);
    9.                 }
    10.                 pitch = player.GetAxis(pitchAction);
    That being said, while working through the code, I've come across another possible bug. Not knowing exactly what you intended here, a question:

Around line 570 (in Update) we find:

Code (CSharp):
    1.  if (!hasGameManager || gameManager.CurrentGameState == GameState.Gameplay)
    I believe that should be

Code (CSharp):
    1.  if (hasGameManager && gameManager.CurrentGameState == GameState.Gameplay)
    Cheers,
    -ch

34. Billy4184

Billy4184

Great suggestions there, particularly about modularizing the input components. I'll make a note of it. I'll also expose the axis and button names in the inspector.

I recommend holding off for a short while on your Rewired stuff, I have a big update almost ready to go that will give you keyboard/mouse, gamepad and HOTAS joystick support all in one, along with a bunch of architectural changes.

Which script is it you're referring to in regards to line 570?

35. csofranz

csofranz

It's PlayerSpaceFighterControl, and it's line 541 in the original.

It also seems that there is a little irregularity in Unity that I see you working around which I wasn't aware of initially, and that somewhat screws with having multiple scripts with the same interface on the same obejct: GetComponentsInChildren seems to return only the first, not all script components on an object. This affects the controller scripts during vehicle enter, where you are initializing all controller components found, but GetComponentsInchildren will only return the very first component matching the T description, and then move on to the next object. Is this a known issue (i.e. has anyone reported this to Unity)?

This means that I (we) have to build a module controller hierarchy (weapons, thrust, radar, ..) inside the controller object, with only one controller script attached each.

36. csofranz

csofranz

Since I can't fiddle around with the controls now that you told me to hold off, I've gone looking into the engines (your fault :) ). Anyway, two points:

First, it seems that in SpaceVehicleEngine during awake while initing cruising audio, you are missing the following line:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.                 if (cruisingAudioClip != null) {
    3.                     engineAudio.clip = cruisingAudioClip;
    4.                 }
    That way you don't have to put the clip into the audio source for initial audio to be heard. I'm not sure why you do this during awake, start would be better as you can be sure that the Audio source has been initialized by then.

I'd like to propose the following change here:
    allow for engine sound and pitch to change, modulated by thrust. This is because I'd like to have engines that have the same volume, but change in pitch when thrust is applied. If you used minThrustVolume and maxThustVolume, and minthrustPitch and maxThrustPitch, we can have engines that can have pitch and volume change, as well as minimal background noise (minthrustVolume > 0), fixed engine noise (min = max) but changin pitch etc.

Like so:

Code (CSharp):
    2.             if (hasEngineAudio)
    3.             {
    4.                 if (Time.timeScale < 0.0001f)
    5.                 {
    6.                     engineAudio.volume = 0;
    7.                 }
    8.                 else
    9.                 {
    10.                     engineAudio.volume = Mathf.Lerp(minEngineAudioVolume, maxEngineAudioVolume, currentTranslationInputs.magnitude);
    11.                     engineAudio.pitch = Mathf.Lerp(minEngineAudioPitch, maxEngineAudioPitch, currentTranslationInputs.magnitude);
    13.                 }
    14.             }

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  37. csofranz

csofranz

Oh, and while I'm at it, a perhaps silly question: how do I implement a 'fat pig' type spacecraft, i.e. one that, given some thrust, slowly accelerates and slowly decelerates (i.e. has a lot of inertia)? I have the feeling I need to play around with mass and drag, but although I can get my ship to respond with inertia during rotation, deceleration is happening much too quick with high mass (also, speed appears to be capped with higher mass, not the braking distance)

38. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi everyone, I've sent the update to the store for the Rewired integration. I'll update the integration package on my website when it becomes live. If you want it all immediately just send me an invoice number.

Additions:

• Rewired HOTAS joystick and gamepad generic templates integrated for gameplay and all menus (no need for mouse/keyboard at all).
    • Rewired controller vibration for boost, missile hit, collision and death.
    • Rewired map activation manager – specify which controller maps are activated in different game states.
    • Cockpit menu for efficient access of vehicle subsystem controls.
    • Rumble manager to provide single source for camera shakes and controller vibration.
    • Game State Manager for easy management of game state transitions.
    • Demo manager no longer inherits from Game Manager base class, to make it easier to modify the demo.
    • Added ability to specify displayable trackable types for 3D radar and target tracking.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed player explosion looping.
    • Fixed Health Fixture not deactivating embedded health fixtures.
    • Game Agent onGameAgentChangedStateEventHandler delegate now carries reference to Game Agent.
    • Separated vehicle Label from trackable Label.
    • 3D radar and target tracking default to White for widget color.
    • Lack of RadarSceneManager in the scene now displays an error in the console by the Radar component.
    • Fixed ‘ambiguous function call’ compile errors in EnergyShield.shader when building for PS4.

FusionSticc and JFI66 like this.
  39. Billy4184

Billy4184

Everything is implemented with physics. If I remember correctly, Unity said somewhere to keep mass around 1. So I would play with drag and angular drag.

To make an object snappy (stopping/starting immediately), you would add high torque/propulsion forces, and high drag. To make it pondering and slow (taking a long time to stop/start), you would add low torque/propulsion and low drag.

40. Billy4184

Billy4184

I can't reproduce this, GetComponentsInChildren returns all components on the transform as well as in child transforms.

41. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'll run some tests and see if this makes sense.

42. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It looks like it is available on the asset store.

Billy4184 and JFI66 like this.
  43. Billy4184

Billy4184

Here's the Rewired integration .unitypackage.

I've included a brief manual with the steps for setting it up as well as a table showing the current control bindings.

Remember that for your the integration to work, your controller be supported by Rewired's Gamepad or HOTAS template. The supported controllers are shown here.

I tested with a PDP wired Xbox controller, but I didn't have a joystick that used the HOTAS template, so please let me know if anything doesn't turn out as expected.

Rewired Map Activation Manager

Included is the Rewired Map Activation Manager, which allows you to easily switch to different categories of controller maps when the game state changes.

MapActivationManager.png

Game State Manager

The GameStateManager replaces the GameManager, which was too ambiguous and generic. The GameStateManager must be present in the scene as a singleton.

GameStateManager.png

44. FusionSticc

FusionSticc

Has anyone tried integrating this with pro radar builder?? (Or the 3D or 2D version)

EDIT:

Also, since the update, when I try to add in a custom ship, I get Object reference not set to an instance of an object in line 171 of PlayerSpaceFighterControl.cs, which involves vector 3 mouse movement. Any ideas??

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  45. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, I'm not sure if someone can help you to integrate Pro Radar Builder, but I don't currently plan to. The reason is that integrations take a substantial amount of time and effort, and I think that for the sake of maintaining a good pace of progress with the kit it's best to only integrate assets that comprehensively solve a general problem that's not specifically related to the core features provided by the kit - i.e. I don't want to be spending time on integrating packages that simply do one of the things that the space kit does, but a bit better. It would make more sense in this case for the integration to be made in the opposite direction.

To solve the object reference problem, you simply need to have the vehicle camera (specifically the gameobject with the Camera component attached) tagged as 'MainCamera'.

46. FusionSticc

FusionSticc

Ah! No worries about the integration stuff. Tried the MainCamera solution and works flawlessly!

Cheers

Billy4184 and JFI66 like this.
  47. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

@Billy4184 thanks for the Rewired integration. Rewired is one of my favorite assets and I've used it pretty extensively over the years.

I downloaded the latest versions of the Space Combat Kit and Rewired from the asset store and the integration. Followed the instructions using the GameplayDemo scene.

It's not working right with three gamepad controllers I tried, all of which I've used a ton with Rewired. I do get vibration though. I tried going into the controls menu, but the BACK button didn't let me out.

I have the Rewired prefab under "Player", and I removed the EventSystem that was in the root of the scene.

With an Xbox 360 gamepad, I get primary fire with "A" and vibration, but no other input. The vibration seems to be coming from the existing RumbleManager in that scene and not RewiredVibrationManager.

With a DS4 (PS4) gamepad, I get primary fire with square and secondary with X and vibration.

With an old Logitech gamepad, I get the same fire controls as PS4, but no vibration. I also get a warning: "Rewired: You cannot change AxisRange of a non-Axis mapping." Could be a Rewired issue there.

Anything you can think of to get the demo scene to work? I can try creating a scene from scratch also.

guavaman likes this.
  48. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Can you please put this into the Update() method of the RewiredPlayerSpaceFighterControl script and take a picture of the Console output:

Code (CSharp):
    2. if (rewiredPlayer.controllers.Joysticks[0].templateCount > 0)
    3. {
    4.     Debug.Log(rewiredPlayer.controllers.Joysticks[0].Templates[0].name);
    5. }
    6. else
    7. {
    8.     Debug.Log("Joystick/Gamepad doesn't use any templates.");
    9. }
    12. foreach (ControllerMap controllerMap in rewiredPlayer.controllers.maps.GetAllMaps())
    13. {
    14.     Debug.Log(controllerMap.name + "  " + controllerMap.id + "  " + controllerMap.layoutId + "  " + controllerMap.enabled);
    15. }
    17. Debug.Break();

49. guavaman

guavaman

I'd be happy to look into it if @Billy4184 will provide me with a build of Space Combat Kit.

Billy4184 likes this.
  50. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

OK