Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Space Combat Kit (VSXGames) [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Billy4184, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Neviah

Neviah

I love that idea. I wonder if you could do the same for projectiles, etc.
    and maybe an optional checkbox if we'd like it to be networked or not XD

Ooo ooo, and in the future, turrets too! kthnx!

Billy4184 likes this.
  2. Billy4184

Billy4184

What is the most difficult part about creating a new projectile? Especially stuff that you could not easily do by duplicating the prefab.

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

For networking, right now in the alpha the only components you need to add to the ship are subsystem level components (NetworkVehicle, NetworkEngines, NetworkHealthManager etc). Modules, module mounts and stuff like projectiles (with the exception of guided missiles, which might change) are not synced individually. Definitely the vehicle setup wizard will have an option for networking the vehicle when the multiplayer gets sufficiently finalized.

JFI66 and Neviah like this.
  4. RendCycle

RendCycle

For me, the tutorials were alright and helped a bit in introducing me to the initial system structure. It reduced the feeling of being overwhelmed when setting up SCK. But I got stuck in setting up my Vehicle controls. Needed to read on Unity Interfaces and dig deeper into some of the scripts to further grasp how things work. :D

I found having only two Input Types for the controls limited and stopped the flow of my setup. The currently available options would probably suffice for a flying vehicle but if this tool will want to offer more flexibility, I do hope it enables easy use of other vehicle types by adding more customization in the Setup Wizard. Like maybe a way to be able to map/bind Keyboard and Mouse for use of common functionalities and maybe even save the configuration in a Vehicle Controls Profile. For example, the controls I was considering to use are as follows:
    • Vehicle movement (ex: W = Forward Thrust, A = Turn Left, S = Backward Thrust, D = Turn Right)
    • Camera rotation/zooming (ex: Hold Mouse Button 2 = Mouse Look, Mouse Wheel to Zoom In/Out FOV)
    • Target scrolling (ex: Q = Scroll Next Target, E = Scroll Previous Target)
    • Inventory/equipment scrolling (ex: Tab = Scroll active item)
    • Use Item (ex: Mouse Button 1 = Attack/Use)
    • Reload Key (ex: R = Reload Selected Weapon/Equipment)
    Having a Vehicle Controls Profile might make it easier to switch controls when the Player jumps from driving totally different types of vehicles if that is the game's concept.

In my recent experience, I was able to use an existing Buoyancy script for a Boat but I cannot easily and correctly set up even just the basics for movement and for camera controls that I want without scripting.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    JFI66 and Billy4184 like this.
  5. Billy4184

Billy4184

Great points you've brought up. Of course, at the moment it's the Space Combat Kit and so it just has space game related stuff actually implemented. But essentially, if you:
    • Expand the VehicleControlClass enum with a new vehicle type;
    • Create a new vehicle controller (i.e. a script that implements the IVehicleController interface) that the Engines component can pass all of the input values to;
    • Create a new control script (i.e. a script that implements the IVehicleInput interface, and is put on a transform that is a child of your player Game Agent component).
    You'll essentially be able to implement pretty much any kind of vehicle you want. I'll have something more to announce in a few weeks along these lines.

It's a very good idea to expose the ability to set up input values on the inspector, because it's all currently hidden inside a script. I'll take a look at creating a basic input manager in the inspector, at least for remapping keys and mouse input, although if you're looking for something really substantial (with joystick and gamepad inputs for example) you'll want to grab a package that specializes in that such as Rewired.

In terms of profiles for different vehicles, it's probably going to be necessary at some point to create multiple control scripts, because while many vehicles share common functionality, each one will probably have some stuff that's specific to it's own type. But a generic control script that covers all the common functionality and with the possibility to remap controls in the inspector sounds very useful.

Another thing I'd like to implement is the ability to map controls to specific module types and functions in the inspector. At the moment, modules (such as weapons) mounted on the vehicle can not be linked to button actions in the control script easily, and this makes it quite difficult to use the full flexibility that modules provide.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Neviah and RendCycle like this.
  6. RendCycle

RendCycle

Yes, a basic Input Manager for remapping keys and mouse input would be great! :) Even just being able to finish a basic setup to include the usual player movement and camera controls while avoiding to code will be very useful already. If possible, maybe have the configuration that could work for these generic locomotion types:
    • Flying/Swimming (ex: Spaceship, Submarine)
    • Rolling/Gliding (ex: Rover, Skis)
    • Floating (ex: Boat, Raft)
    • Further wishful thinking --- Walking/Running/Jumping/Climbing? (ex: Astronaut, Bipedal Mech) :p
    If it's currently difficult to map controls for specific Mounted Modules such as Weapons, just simple instructions indicated in the documentation on what specific file to edit and what particular code to change to customize its "Use/Activation Key" would suffice for now. Actually, some of the Equipment which I plan to use will still need to have a separate key to "Arm" the item (so it animates) before it can be used/activated multiple times and limited only by it's maximum loaded ammo or durability points. Thus I will have to explore more of the scripts in SCK later on. :D

I haven't delved into using Rewired or similar tool yet but I have InControl so might try that in the future. Thanks for the tip! For now, I try to keep things hopefully simple in my game and prioritize learning to use and integrate major components first like this kit. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Billy4184 likes this.
  7. InGameGames

InGameGames

I need to be able to thrust in any direction as well as rotate. Is this possible by default? I want to bind yaw to flight pedals, thrust up and thrust down to the toe brakes with reverse thrust, forward thrust(+afterburner) and strafe bound on flightstick A with flightstick B handling pitch and roll with weapons, etc bound across both sticks triggers and buttons.

Has there been much progress with the VR compatible build yet?

8. Billy4184

Billy4184

I just added 6DOF to the gameplay demo :)

The kit should already be completely VR compatible. There is an option for world space HUD target tracking as explained in the manual. If you're having any problems in VR let me know.

Legorobotdude likes this.
  9. InGameGames

InGameGames

Thanks, I'll grab it first thing on payday!

10. Billy4184

Billy4184

Great! Just keep in mind that the latest version with 6DOF has not been uploaded to the store yet. I'm finalizing the new presentation of the kit and at this stage it's likely to be ready for the store by Monday or so.

RendCycle likes this.
  11. Billy4184

Billy4184

Bit of a teaser for the new update :)

Untitled.png

12. InGameGames

InGameGames

I've bought the asset, waiting eagerly on the update.

Billy4184 likes this.
  13. InGameGames

InGameGames

I'm following your tutorial series and I can see it was done with an older version of Unity. Is it okay to use 2018.25f1?

14. Billy4184

Billy4184

Should be no difference. The only issues you might have is that the videos are for the next update where some things have changed a little. You should still be able to easily do the tutorial though, and if you have any problems you can send me an email at contact at vsxgames dot com and I'll help you out.

15. InGameGames

InGameGames

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.TriggerGroupsMenuController.Start () (at Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Scripts/UniversalVehicleCombat/TriggerGroups/TriggerGroupsMenuController.cs:69)

Followed your tutorial so far, throws this error with the latest version of Unity. Great so far, the more documentation and videos you provide, the more valuble this asset becomes. I couldn't get the view to switch between outside and internal but I did get the flying about working so far. I downloaded rewired and I've gotta figure how how to rebind the controls to an X-Box controller while I wait for my rockfire game-port adapter for now then I'll try running this in VR unless that is a separate build?

16. Billy4184

Billy4184

Did you put the PoolManager component somewhere in the scene?

The tutorials are sequential by the way, so if you skipped one you might find that something is missing later on.

The way the camera works changed a bit in v1.2 (the coming update) so the tutorial might be a little confusing. If you have added two CameraViewTargets to your ship, and set one to Interior (placing it in the cockpit) and the other to Exterior (placing it behind the ship), you should be good to switch views using the 1 and 2 keys.

Don't forget that you can go straight to the QuickStartScene scene (which is the scene that the tutorials are re-creating) to see how things are done if you have any trouble with the tutorials. Also, you can use the ship prefab already provided which should have the camera views all set up.

Regarding VR the kit is already compatible and the demo scene should work fine. Don't forget to check out the manual for how to set up the target tracking with a world space canvas.

JFI66 likes this.
  17. InGameGames

InGameGames

It wasn't mentioned in the video series so I didn't use it, I'm up to the radar video. I've just set up bindings in Rewired for my X-Box controller and I'd like to get that working before I continue onto the radar video, is there a tutorial for using Rewired with this kit? I'll be testing with an X-Box controller until I've gotten my proper 6DOF twin stick/pedal set up in place.

18. Billy4184

Billy4184

My bad, I didn't get to trigger groups in the tutorials yet, and it wasn't needed for any of the stuff I did cover. I probably should have mentioned the PoolManager at the start.

There's no tutorial for Rewired. There's a set of Rewired control scripts if you go to SpaceCombatKit -> Integrations -> Rewired, as well as a Rewired Input Manager prefab, which should be enough to get you up and running. I'll leave the tutorials explaining how to link a Rewired input manager to a control script to the owner of that asset.

The new update will have the 6DOF set up in the Rewired integration control script, so that should tell you everything you need to know about which functions to call to get the 6DOF movement.

19. InGameGames

InGameGames

https://imgur.com/a/ioaPxyR

Is this what you meant in the manual? It's unclear to me what you mean but it looks like I'd need to write a new control script if I wanted the option to use an Xbox Controller as the control script only references keyboard or mouse as options, correct?

Looking forward to 6DOF, once I wrap my head around unity and this package and what it can do out of the box, I'll probably have a list of suggestions for features to implement. I'm willing to pay 25 USD a month for more documentation and support.

Edit: Camera still won't switch between the two views.

https://imgur.com/a/SbjnsuO

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  20. Billy4184

Billy4184

Yes that's right. You would put that prefab as child of your Player GameAgent component.

Yes that's right. I have not implemented an Xbox controller in the Rewired scripts.

Any suggestions you have would be great, and documentation is something I have been working on lately. As I posted before, the Doxygen code documentation can be found here, and the video tutorials will continue as soon as the next update is out. The user guide will probably be updated next week sometime.

General support (i.e. not writing scripts for you) is of course free.

You'll need to add a PlayerGeneralControls script as a child of the Player GameAgent (right alongside the PlayerSpaceFighterControls component, on a different gameobject).

Sorry about the confusion. The camera controls were moved to the PlayerSpaceFighterControls component for the coming update. I was a bit hesitant to start the tutorials before the new update so as to avoid this sort of thing.

21. InGameGames

InGameGames

https://imgur.com/a/VofU05J

My view from VR.

I can see the confusion is caused by slight changes in procedure due to the update and my lack of experience. I managed to get the camera switched over by just setting the default view to internal. Unfortunately, the camera positions don't seem to match up with the position or orientation of the Interior/ExteriorViewTargets and adding the script to PlayerSpaceFighterControls doesn't seem to work.

Cannot set field of view on camera with name 'ChaseCam' while VR is enabled.
    UnityEngine.Camera:set_fieldOfView(Single)
    VSX.UniversalVehicleCombat.VehicleCamera:Update() (at Assets/SpaceCombatKit/Scripts/UniversalVehicleCombat/Utility/Camera/VehicleCamera.cs:374)

Get this error, too.

This is the view I get when I load up a demo scene. Sticks me outside the ship facing backwards instead of inside it for the interior and the exterior view puts me where I'm supposed to be for that view but facing backwards. But at least it lets me pick.

https://imgur.com/a/qTSwsat

Thanks for the link to the code documentation, that will come in handy in the future.

22. Billy4184

Billy4184

Can you send me a test project with everything set up such that you would expect it to work? That way I can easily figure out what it is that isn't working the way you expect, and give you a detailed explanation.

Also, if you'd like to wait 24-48 hours, I can send you the update directly so that you can just follow along exactly with the tutorials to get everything working.

I'm not sure that setting the field of view in VR is easily possible. I'll at least make it an optional feature so you don't get the error message. The camera facing backward is probably due to the fact that scripts generally abort running after an error pops up.

23. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi everyone, take a look at the new space fighter for the Space Combat Kit. It's part of a revamp of the presentation for the coming update.

24. InGameGames

InGameGames

I'll save you the effort and start from the new update once it's live to see if the issue is still occurring. I didn't try to set the field of view, it's just what happens when you load the scene from the demo with the SteamVR asset loaded in Unity. It defaults into VR with those camera issues.

So far I've just being trying to get your project working as depicted in the videos but in VR using the scenes already included from there I'm talking to my cousin who knows some scripting and some C# to help me write some new control scripts to support X-Box controllers and generic flight sticks/pedals.

I just want to get it working as depicted in your demos but in VR and then from there make my own little maps with the stuff already included until I'm familiar enough with your systems to customize them beyond simply building my own levels and populating them with included example prefabs, etc.

http://www.filedropper.com/hudcambug

Love your new fighter btw, it looks great! How long did it take you?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  25. Billy4184

Billy4184

Great! New update is almost ready.

Thanks! It probably took about 12 hours or so. I haven't been doing much modelling lately so I've gotten a bit slow :)

RendCycle and InGameGames like this.
  26. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

What HOTAS system do you have?

27. Billy4184

Billy4184

I don't have any right now, just a fairly basic Logitech Wingman.

28. InGameGames

InGameGames

Billy, just curious. What hardware do you own in regards to control options? Do you own a Vive or Rift?

29. Billy4184

Billy4184

For VR, not much right now. I had a Galaxy phone along with a Gear VR headset until recently, but unfortunately the phone came to a watery end. It'll be replaced soon. I am doing my Unity work on a laptop and I don't own a desktop, so I don't have a 'serious' VR headset.

For joystick, just that Wingman. I'm going to grab an xbox controller on my next payday though.

30. InGameGames

InGameGames

No HDMI out on your laptop?

31. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

@Billy4184 - In the intro video for space combat kit I noticed that Capital Ships was a folder. What are your plan for Capital Ships?

Also - If you need a throttle assembly have a look at this

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  32. Billy4184

Billy4184

Unfortunately not :( I'll be upgrading the laptop soon though, it's rather long in the tooth, although it gets the job done.

As I mentioned before on this thread, but did not do until now, I'll be making a significant weekly update for the kit for at least the next month or two. The capital ship will be among the first. It's pretty much going (camera, movement etc), but I haven't had time to prepare a demo of it for this update.

Thanks, that looks like a good deal.

JFI66 likes this.
  33. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

@Billy4184 - Got it. Thanks for the clarification on the capital ships :)

34. Billy4184

Billy4184

Version 1.2 submitted to the store!

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot3.png

Loadout1.png

Update includes:

- New ship and cockpit models;
    - 6DOF flight;
    - Floating origin;
    - Improved camera view system;
    - Health regeneration through the collider
    - Improved loadout menu;
    - Full code documentation;
    - Lots of code polishing and bug fixes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  35. InGameGames

InGameGames

You're a hero, billy. I gotta check this out!

Billy4184 and JFI66 like this.
  36. Roachie

Roachie

Awesome work billy. Been following your progress for awhile , can’t wait to dig into the new release .

Do you have a roadmap of future features ? My request would be being able to give orders to so teammates (move here , attack that etc)

Otherwise fantastic work as always

Legorobotdude, JFI66 and limo like this.
  37. Billy4184

Billy4184

Thanks, glad you're having fun with it!

I have a list of stuff that is on the roadmap, and my plan is to add one or more of these each week:
    • Capital ship demo
    • Autopilot (runtime setting of waypoints or follow target, obstacle avoidance)
    • Better Rewired integration (more types of controllers)
    • Mobile demo
    • Improved AI: a) Easily tunable difficulty in inspector or runtime b) Better squadron management (player or AI commander) c) Better formation implementation.
    • Mouse cursor follow control type
    • First/third person controller integration
    • Cargo/Inventory
    • Asteroid mining (at least shooting them up for ore)
    • Procedural colliders/shield meshes
    • Easier setting up of vehicle with editor scripts, gizmos etc
    • Multiplayer
    That's not necessarily in order.

Next weekend's update is the capital ship demo.

38. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

For better Rewired integration are you going add more support for HOTAS and rudder pedals?

39. Billy4184

Billy4184

That's the idea. I have to spend a bit more time looking over how well Rewired's generic input setups map onto different input hardware. I would rather not be spending my dev time updating 50 different input mappings every time I change the input script, but it would be nice to have a mapping that works for 90% of the buttons of 90% of the hardware out there.

40. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Using the Rewired Templates makes it really easy to only have to map to one thing to cover them all. Not having to worry about individual controllers. Rewired Template details are found here.

http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/ControllerTemplates.html

When you look through the supported controllers list the little icon indicates which template it is associated each controller. http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/SupportedControllers.html

(1) For gamepads use the Gamepad Template

(2) For Flight pedals use the Flight Pedals template

(3) For HOTAS just map the HOTAS template

(4) For Flight Yokes just map the Flight Yoke template

(5) The 6 DoF Controller Template is another template.

juris3d_unity likes this.
  41. BlueTera

BlueTera

This asset looks good. i think i will buy it when i get some buck. i hope its not getting more expensive in the futrue so i can buy it.

So some questions.
    Is it easy to make new models. like ships,planets,weapons and stuff.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  42. Billy4184

Billy4184

Thanks for the info!

43. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, thanks for stopping by! The asset will get a little more expensive in future as more features are added, so it's best to buy as early as possible.

This asset is designed to provide the game mechanics that help you get your space game up and running quickly. Besides the example models, it does not provide any way to create models or textures of any kind. You'll need to use a 3D modelling program (such as Blender) and a texturing program (such as Photoshop or Substance Designer/Painter) to create assets for your game, or buy ready-made models from the asset store.

44. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

juris3d_unity and Billy4184 like this.
  45. BlueTera

BlueTera

Hi
    Is there any other programs that maybe easier to use. ?

46. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Haven't kept up with this thread, but @longroadhwy keeps bugging me to chime in. :D

I'm a huge Rewired fan and have been poking at a space sim type game for years (will probably never finish it, but it's fun, so whatever). Rewired was particularly helpful with that. So yeah, once you map stuff to the generic gamepad template, you automatically get support for like 90 gamepads with no extra work. That covers 99% of what players are really going to have right there.

The HOTAS stuff is a little bit more in the weeds and can take a bit more effort. The main difference is that you may want to have a separate action for "direct" throttle input. That doesn't really work well on a gamepad, so in my case, I have one of the gamepad thumbsticks act as an increase/decrease throttle position. Then you may get into how you want to support reverse thrust, if your game has that. Elite Dangerous has been a pretty good reference for that sort of thing, though my game works a little differently than that.

Billy4184 likes this.
  47. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

With regards to the Rewired Throttle you can treat it differently in the HOTAS based on this throttle calibration. You can use +1 to 0 (which is what @Steve-Tack ) likes or your can treat it as +1 to -1 (which I like). In my case then you can treat the middle as zero and have -1 for reverse thrust. But the option is yours on how you want to treat the Throttle.

For information here:

http://guavaman.com/projects/rewire.../T_Rewired_Config_ThrottleCalibrationMode.htm

The Rewired 1.1.11.0 release notes for that particular change for throttle calibration.

- Added Throttle Calibration Mode option to switch default throttle calibration between 0-1 output range and -1 to +1 output

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rewired-advanced-input-for-unity.270693/page-78#post-3442229

Billy4184 likes this.
  48. Billy4184

Billy4184

I think Maya might be easier than Blender, though I personally have no problem with Blender. Substance Designer is, in my opinion, the best texturing program out there. Once you get the hang of it the workflow is very smooth.

Also, it takes a fair bit of time and practice to become good at modelling/texturing, so keep at it and you'll eventually be able to make anything you want :)

HeadClot88 likes this.
  49. Billy4184

Billy4184

Check out the capital ship model for this weekend's capital ship update!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Neviah and Legorobotdude like this.
  50. Billy4184

Billy4184

Thanks for the info! Do you have a progress thread for your game? Curious to see what it looks like now.

I'll look into getting a few templates ready for this weekend, though we'll have to see how easy it is to figure out the HOTAS setup without having one yet.

Neviah likes this.
unityunity