Search Unity

[Source] Game Launcher and Updater

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BoysWhoCry, Jan 19, 2020.

1. BoysWhoCry

BoysWhoCry

Hello, everyone, I made this a long time ago (3-4 years) for a game and well the project is dead and no longer needed so here it is. It is pretty basic but would be a good starting point for you. Feel free to use for whatever you'd like. I needed it for my portfolio anyway :).

Preview

Features:
    Download progress bar
    Check for version number
    Download background image
    and of course download update.

Source : https://github.com/BoysWhoCryPrograms/Game-Launcher-Auto-Updater/tree/master

2. BoysWhoCry

BoysWhoCry

Bumping this up

3. BoysWhoCry

BoysWhoCry

Bumping this up again

4. BoysWhoCry

BoysWhoCry

Once again bumping this up

5. andraskukas

andraskukas

Where should I edit?

6. Bunny83

Bunny83

I just glanced over the code and I have to say it's a horrible starting point -.-

None of the UI components have meaningful names. Everything is hardcoded and all over the place. The configuration of your web resources is better handled by a single config file that also might be located on dropbox and / or other alternative sources for backup. The worst thing that can happen to a launcher is that it suddenly stops working. Especially dropbox had several breaking changes in the past. By outsourcing the config you can change relevant web addresses afterwards. By loading the config from several known locations you could have some fail safe behaviour.