Search Unity

Sound Reactor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LittleDreamerGames, Jun 6, 2018.

1. LittleDreamerGames

LittleDreamerGames

Hi everyone!

I just released Sound Reactor version 1.2. It's a Unity extension that is very flexible in terms of using it to create visualizers, or games that need to react to sound. My goal was to make it as modular as possible so that it can be integrated into any project and configured in ways that allow sharing properties between the different elements that make up the Sound Reactor hierarchy.

The feedback I've received so far:
    • Does it support more than one sound: yes
    • Does it support different audio channels: yes
    • Can it be used by Playmaker: yes
    • Does it detect beats: it can react to ascending and descending magnitudes of a frequency
    • Does it work with Wwise: no (it doesn't return spectrum data: anyone want to write an FFT plugin for Wwise? :))
    So what can it do? I'll tell you :).

You can create visualizers that are made up of GameObjects or Vectors with the Spectrum Builder. If they are GameObjects, they can be arranged in the shape of: lines, circles, filled rectangles, and segmented levels. With Vectors you can create lines and circles (filled or not).

Each GameObject (and its children) are placed according to the shape. These GameObjects can be told to: scale, move, rotate, change colors, and react to forces. If you need it to do something extra special, then there's also an EventDriver that will drive any property you need it to, or you can just derive from PropertyDriver.

The nice thing about SoundReactor is that you can control the value of any property. For example, you can tell the FOV of your camera to change based on the magnitude of a frequency at 60Hz, or you can tell it to control the brightness of the sky, or whatever property you want.

The spectrum itself can be detailed or not. In other words, you can have SoundReactor track: 1, 7, 10, 20, 30, 60, or 120 bands of frequency.

SoundReactor makes it easy to choose a frequency to react to. Every Level (the component tracking the frequency) has a frequency editor that displays the spectrum of the sound currently being played, you can then choose a frequency based off that visualization!

I've made a couple videos, and also published the documents for Sound Reactor here:
    https://www.littledreamergames.com/soundreactor

Asset Store link:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/116213

Support email:
    support@littledreamergames.com

I hope you find Sound Reactor very useful!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. LittleDreamerGames

LittleDreamerGames

Hi everyone,

Edited....

I've just released Sound Reactor Pro. Check it out in the asset store here.
    Take a look at the manual here.
    Check out the promo video here.

Sound Reactor Pro can now react to MIDI events played back from a file! This means Sound Reactor Pro will be able to react up to 128 unique NoteOn/NoteOff events!

In addition to Sound Reactor Pro reacting to NoteOn/NoteOff events, the following events and messages can be handled with a custom event handler:

Meta Messages Supported
    • Text
    • CopyrightNotice
    • TrackName
    • InstrumentName
    • Lyrics
    • Marker
    • CuePoint
    • ProgramName
    • EndOfTrack
    • Tempo
    • TimeSignature
    • KeySignature
    Events Supported
    • NoteOff
    • NoteOn
    • PolyphonicPressure
    • ControlChange
    • ProgramChange
    • ChannelPressure
    • PitchWheelChange
    Unsupported Events
    • System Exclusive (these aren't even supposed to be saved into a file anyway)
    Unsupported Meta Messages
    • Device Name
    • Channel Prefix
    • MIDI Port
    • SMPTE Offset
    • Sequencer Specific

Additional Information:

General Info
    • Supports MIDI type 0 and 1 files
    • Seek to specific time
    • Change the playback speed
    • Custom handler so you, the developer, can handle the MIDI events directly.
    Unsupported
    • Cannot create or edit midi events/messages
    • Does not connect to MIDI devices
    • Does not save MIDI files
    • Does not generate MIDI events
    • Does not play sounds
    Link to MIDI specifications:
    https://www.midi.org/specifications

Cheers!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Akshara likes this.
  3. LittleDreamerGames

LittleDreamerGames

4. LittleDreamerGames

LittleDreamerGames

Sound Reactor Pro is the perfect tool to help you create rhythm games.

Start off by using your favorite MIDI sequencer to create MIDI notes in sync with an audio file. Then in Sound Reactor Pro play both the MIDI file and audio file in sync with each other. Use the MIDI events to trigger player touch or click events to the rhythm of the song. In my promo video I use it to depress keys, change the colors, and emit notes.

Sound Reactor Pro supports type 1 MIDI files, which means multiple sequences can play at the same time. To access most of the MIDI events included with the MIDI file, you create a custom MIDI event handler.

As far as MIDI playback, I mimicked the AudioSource and AudioClip convention, which means MIDI is MidiSource and MidiClip. This also means properties in the inspector are similar, and so are the scripts.

If you don't care about rhythm games and are more interested in the Piano builder, you can create a piano that has up to 128 keys. The presets are: 25, 49, 61, 73, 76, 88, 112 and 128. If the presets aren't enough, you can create any piano layout that doesn't start or end with a black key (well you still can, but it looks silly).

To play audio along with the MIDI, render the MIDI to an audio file and play it in sync with the AudioMidiSync script.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy Sound Reactor Pro!

~edited to clarify some things

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. LittleDreamerGames

LittleDreamerGames

6. LittleDreamerGames

LittleDreamerGames

Bump buh bum bump bump! Sale ends soooooooooon!

7. LittleDreamerGames

LittleDreamerGames