Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Sound design / SFX

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Feb 3, 2021.

1. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

We are finally ready to open up this area of the game, so we'd like to collect all discussion related to creative sound work in here.

As of now, we have these SFX in the works by a sound designer we are working with. As such, recreating them is not needed. For anything else, feel free to contribute! Obviously we will be selecting the ones that match a certain level of quality, and also that make sense within the project.

Important note: the style of sound effects is realistic, so no 8-bit or synthesized sounds. (use the SFX in the project as a reference) Obviously you won't be able to record many things with a house setup, so feel free to use tricks and what not, as long as the final result sounds plausible.

SFX we have:
    • (plenty of) Footsteps for grass, soil, stone and sand
    • (various) Pots and cookware tingling and making noises
    • Pig Chef: Jump liftoff, Jump landing, Mumbling, Surprise, Disapproval, Attack / Swing cane, Attack lands (on jelly, on stone, on plant), Emoting when cooking, Picking up something, Generic talking
    • Townsfolk: Mumbling, Cheering, Disapproval, Chatting
    • Phoenix Chick: Tweet, Flap, Fire when burning smthg.
    • Legendary chef (Fry King): Mumbling, Talking
    • Bard Hare: Singing, Mumbling, Talking
    • UI: Button (confirmation), Button (cancel/go back), Open inventory (bag open), Open panel, Move selection/hover, Click on regular buttons and UI controls
    • Other sounds: Bubbling of cooking pot, Fire crackling, Cooking sounds (chopping, mixing, using chopsticks), Wind/Breeze, Indistinguishable chatter

NOTE: if you contribute SFX to the project, they need to be your original creation. Royalty-free sound effects are also not ok: you can use them, not redistribute them. So they have to be original.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

3. pumodi

pumodi

Dope! I'd love to claim that Rock Critter task.

4. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

As usual, we don't assign tasks because somebody might take them and disappear :)
    So we evaluate once the PR comes in on the Github.

5. pumodi

pumodi

Right right, my bad. I've been watching and not actively participating for so long I don't quite have the process down.

6. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

7. TLukeH

TLukeH

I am interested in contributing sounds for the slime creature. I thought I'd post here to see if it has been "casually claimed" by anyone.

cirocontinisio likes this.
  8. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Love the term :D And thanks for posting in the forums beforehand!

9. Ciremia

Ciremia

I can work on the plant critter sound but do we have other sounds to inspire me

10. Smurjo

Smurjo

So we want a plant to sound somewhat threatening and aggressive... One idea would be some kind of quelching sound like you would expect if stamp on a ripe tomato with your foot.
    Another idea might be that the opening of the plant criiters mouth sounds like a green apple if you break out a chunk.

11. Ciremia

Ciremia

This is my first try so drive link teeth snap sound. Its in Alpha Alpha Alpha

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  12. Smurjo

Smurjo

It sounds somewhat technical... makes me think of a stepper motor at power on. It could be a bit longer and sound "wetter" - I fear I have no idea how you make something sound "wet".

13. Ciremia

Ciremia

I remade it it's definatly more wet drive link. Redid a version it's the same link

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Smurjo likes this.
  14. Ciremia

Ciremia

What are your toughts?

15. Smurjo

Smurjo

I liked the second one already. I had to hear the second and the third several times, but now I think the third one is better. It's kind of difficult, since I guess nobody has heard a plant biting yet... Can we have other comments too, please?

16. shuttle127

shuttle127

I agree that the first one is too mechanical. The second one sounds most like an attack impact to me, although I'm thinking it needs to snap more like a mouse trap (maybe also still too mechanical?) or one of those cartoony venus fly trap sounds, whereas the third one sounds squishier, as if it should be tweaked and used for when the plant critter is defeated.

17. redcurry79

redcurry79

I like the third one because it's more interesting that the others. But it sounds like a rock hitting another rock and one of the rocks shattering into pieces. If the sound is supposed to be the plant's mouth opening up and closing, I don't think it should start with such a "bang". And I think that the rest of the sound should be more of a "crunch" rather than shattering or rattling of pebbles.

18. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Each iteration is improving a lot on the previous one!
    I feel the third one is cool, but it doesn't represent the action. The plant is snapping its teeth right? In the sound I can hear a loud "thump" and then some wet noise (good). Maybe the second part could be preserved, but the first part needs to be more teeth-like.

Sorry, it's hard to describe sounds... :D

Lesha_Lozhkin likes this.
  19. Ciremia

Ciremia

I made two new versions up to change anything thanks for the feedback drive link. Those version are made with the feedback of shuttle and smurjo didn't see redcurry and circo gave feedback so i'm working on that.

20. Ciremia

Ciremia

My favourite is the seven one changed the "thump" to a "tac"
    and added leaves

21. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Are you trying them against the actual game graphics?
    I can maybe export a small video of the plant doing the animations.

22. Ciremia

Ciremia

I cant work for the next 4 days school vacations stopped:(:(:( I think i can start working this weekend

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  23. Ciremia

Ciremia

I dont have any ideas of what the idle and death sound should be?

24. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Not sure, I mean, it would be nice to look at similar enemies or creatures in other games and take inspiration from that. Or from nature? :D I am afraid there are not plants that move this fast...
    Some inspiration?

25. Amel-Unity

Amel-Unity

Unity Technologies

26. Calstock8

Calstock8

I've worked on the Rock Critter headbutt but cant really figure out what/where you're attaching sounds to eg to play when the Rock attacks the player. I assume via a script but where about within which script?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  27. Amel-Unity

Amel-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @Calstock8 , I am currently implementing the sounds for the different critters. I am doing it the same way we did it for the protagonist.

We will have a Critter Audio script that contains the functions to play the different sounds and the reference to the Audio Cue Scriptable Objects that contain the audio clip(s).

For now the script includes the sounds for Idle, move, attack, getting hit and death. All the functions from the script will be called as events on the animations so we can hear the sounds played at the right time (we can later tweak that once we have the audio files to make it more precise).

I have also created the Audio Cue Scriptable Objects that are used for the different critters. They will be referenced on the Critter Audio script and used by the functions that are called by the animation events. So if you want to test the sounds you made, all you have to do is to select the critter prefab you want to add the sounds to, you will find that now they have the Critter Audio script attached, click on the referenced Audio Cue SOs, you can see the files that I am using temporarily as a placeholder when you select the SO, you can add your sounds there after importing them into the project. (These SOs can also be accessed under: ScriptableObjects -> Audio -> AudioCues -> SFX -> Critters).

I just pushed these additions to main and you should be able to use them already for the different critters :)

28. MonopolyMonkey

MonopolyMonkey

I'm a sound designer new to fmod. I thought this open project might be a good way to gain experience. At what point does a project usually move into fmod if ever.

29. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Hey @MonopolyMonkey, unfortunately due to the open-source nature of the project we can't use FMOD on it. If you want to contribute something, they will have to be clean audio files, and we will just play them individually.
    You are welcome to use FMOD on your end though, if it helps you in any way!

Amel-Unity likes this.
  30. MonopolyMonkey

MonopolyMonkey

That's perfectly fine. Id like to start adding sounds in any case. I see there's a lot already completed. what do you think I could start working on?

31. Amel-Unity

Amel-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @MonopolyMonkey , we currently have cards still open for the sound design of the different critters,
    Waterfall SFX and Running water / stream SFX. You can find details on the cards descriptions by going to the Audio deck on the Codecks roadmap :)

32. Amel-Unity

Amel-Unity

Unity Technologies

Also as I mentioned above, you might find some critter sounds already assigned but they are just placeholders to test , feel free to replace them with the new sounds you add to test how they sound in gameplay

33. MonopolyMonkey

MonopolyMonkey

Awesome thank you! I'll give it a shot

cirocontinisio and Amel-Unity like this.
  34. Calstock8

Calstock8

Fantastic, okay so I have attached my sound and it's playing as I expect. So now do I create a pull request? if so what is it that I'm pulling (I've attached an image of the changes that I believe have been made, I'm unsure which of these you'd want (I assume the sound file and attaching it to the SO, and which are accidental things I've messed with that you don't want!) I have seen Ciro's video on creating pull requests and that I should deselect the Scene etc but just don't know what files and changes you do actually want :)

Attached Files:

35. Ciremia

Ciremia

I'm BACK. Should the death of the plant be a scream or something else.

36. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

To share sounds that are work in progress, why don't you all use a quick way to preview, before creating a PR? Something like Soundcloud, or similar music hosting services, or just the file on a Dropbox or Google Drive?

37. Calstock8

Calstock8

Amel-Unity, cirocontinisio and Smurjo like this.
  38. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

It sounds really cool! We should try it in game. Not sure about the volume but we can adjust that. Would you open a PR for it? Event just the SFX is good, then we can implement it in game.

39. Calstock8

Calstock8

Okay so I have created a PR as it's my first time using Git, I am unsure/think I have made an error in the merging of the main branches and then my attempt at correcting it just made it more messy, hopefully you can just accept the SFX commit and ignore the others but I dont know if thats possible from your end. In the mean time I will attempt to learn how to undo/delete commits more effectively without making sweeping changes.

40. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Thanks for the PR, but yeah, we can't accept it as it is... it's touching too many files.
    What you should do is just "pull" the latest changes in main, and add your file, then create the PR. You can close the previous one if needed, and make a new one!

41. Mauri

Mauri

Calstock8 likes this.
  42. Calstock8

Calstock8

I have redone it, hopefully this time i've got it correct, if not please feel free to enlighten me! :)

43. the_aia

the_aia

L4ZZAR8 and Amel-Unity like this.
  44. Lesha_Lozhkin

Lesha_Lozhkin

Hi. Please tell me footsteps system on surface is not finished, as far as I understand?