Search Unity

Question Sorting lists with a JobHandle

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Guedez, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Guedez

Guedez

Consider these jobs
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             Dependency = populateForceDisable.Schedule(PreviouslyVisibleTiles, 16, Dependency);
    2.             Dependency = toggleLightJob.Schedule(VisibleTiles, 16, Dependency);
    3.             Dependency = ToggleData.Sort(new KeySorter(), Dependency);
    4.             Dependency = assignEnabledDisabled.Schedule(Dependency);
    The issue is that
    toggleLightJob
    writes to
    ToggleData
    which is then sorted before being consumed by
    assignEnabledDisabled

The dependency chain is correct, so why am I getting
    InvalidOperationException: The previously scheduled job LightProcessorSystem:ToggleLightJob writes to the Unity.Collections.NativeList`1[LightProcessorSystem+ToggleEntry] ToggleLightJob.ToggleData. You must call JobHandle.Complete() on the job LightProcessorSystem:ToggleLightJob, before you can write to the Unity.Collections.NativeList`1[LightProcessorSystem+ToggleEntry] safely.
    ?

Did I interpret something wrong? Do Sort simply does not work like that despite taking a JobHandle?
    I am on version Burst 1.5.4, Collections 0.15.0-preview.21 and Entities Version 0.17.0-preview.42

2. tertle

tertle

Because Sort requires a NativeArray, so you're converting your NativeList into a NativeArray before it's finished potentially adding elements.

You can just create your own IJob and pass in the List and call Sort inside that

Guedez likes this.
  3. Guedez

Guedez

That worked!