Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Sort branches by last "used" date instead of creation date

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Thunderik, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Thunderik

Thunderik

Hi! I really like the filtering in the branches view, very nice to not have to look through irrelevant branches! However, I think a more useful filtering/sorting option would be "last used date" instead of "creation date". upload_2021-12-21_17-2-42.png

Any thoughts on this?

2. croquer

croquer

Unity Technologies

Hi @erkneren

this is an interesting request but it's hard to implement with the current information we have about branches.
    Right now we run a "cm find branch" operation and the "branch" table lacks from the last edit information.

On the other hand, we have the latest cset created, the branchhead (cm find branch --format="{name}-{changeset}") so it's possible to perform a join query and get it, but this would make the branch request slightly slower.

3. Thunderik

Thunderik

Hi @croquer

thanks for looking into it, I understand the dilemma here... It's difficult for me to say how much slower is acceptable while also considering that most branches are meant to be short-lived (which means sorting by creation date should be enough) in Plastic if my understanding is correct. If this could be made into a preference setting I would definitely try it!