Search Unity

Sorlo By Two - 8-Bit Puzzle Platformer - Playable Demo

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by JohnnyA, Aug 4, 2012.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Sorlo By Two
    One controller ... Two Sorlos ... Whatever will you do!
    $Run.gif

08/09/2013 - Demo updated

Thought this was a neat little idea, only a small amount of levels so far, but would love to hear your thoughts. I'm particularly interested in how easy/difficult you find these "tutorial" puzzles.

$SorloSS.png

Click to Play

The later levels will add more platformer/timing elements (have some of these built but have been told they were too hard :) )

Graphically I may leave it as it is or replace with something similar or completely different. Who knows :)

The engine also caters for multiple items, moving bad guys, time freeze, and a few other goodies. Will add these and more levels when I get some time.

Cheers,

John A

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. kloffin

kloffin

I found the levels pretty easy, but i almost felt like i was cheating. What i was doing was getting one Sorlo through their door, then getting the other through their door. The more enjoyable levels were the ones where you couldn't solve it one panel at a time.

Have you tried adding the restriction that both characters need to be at their respective doors for them to open?

"Sorlo was always thinking about two things at once" therefore can't complete one thought without completing the other. This could lead to some interesting gameplay involving mixing thoughts up, e.g. Sorlo in left panel triggers a pressure plate that affects a door in the right panel.

3. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi Kloffin,

thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to make the difficulty level slowly ramp up so I really want the first 15 or so levels to be easy. Pretty much all of my games get hammered for being too hard :)

I guess the question is was it so easy that you were bored? Or did you want to keep playing and face more challenges?

I think the most indicative puzzle is the one where you need to walk left get stuck then walk right. This is pretty simple but imagine that compounded across 5-6 areas where you have to get "stuck" in the right order.

The idea of both being at the door at once sounds pretty good, I'll do some exploration. I think the issue is it might make puzzle design too hard! I'm aiming for 100+ levels.

I'll try and get some of the more difficult levels up soon. The timing levels make things a lot harder (trying to dodge bad guys on two screen at once), the question is when do I introduce them?

Anyway I'm rambling, thanks again for the comments.

- John A

PS There are tiles that affect the opposite panel in the engine, just not in the demo yet :)

4. kloffin

kloffin

The high point for me was the "cause problems" level where you have to jump the one on the right onto the ledge to stop him falling in the pit. It was enjoyable because i already knew what was going to happen and avoided it.

It became boring anytime i had one guy through the door, because at that point your playing a very easy platformer. I don't think the answer is to make a harder platformer though, instead "double down" on the simultaneous stuff. Difficult to say without seeing the examples of the harder levels.

I think timing puzzles could be a dangerous choice. With a "straight" puzzle I usually just blame myself until i work it out (there are exceptions “cat hair moustache”), but with timing puzzles i will blame the game and rage quit super fast because its not "fair".

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hey mate, just sent you a PM. Your simultaneous doorway entry really does polish up the idea a lot. Stay tuned for more puzzles using this mechanic.

Cheers,

Johnny A

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Updated

7. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Loving it, should definatly get this done and shipped :)

8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That was fun :D the gameplay is good, and the graphics but the 8-bit styling isn't really pixel perfect. Sometimes the characters eyes get distorted etc.

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thank you guys.

@Tyler I haven't locked the graphics to pixels as I'm not sure what the end product will look like, at the moment I'm just testing the gameplay mechanic.

10. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

So art style...

Leave it?
    Simple Pixels (VVVVVVV)?
    New Style Pixels (Jetpack Joyride)?
    Painted?
    Rendered?

If any artists want to have a go at this let me know, I'm sure we can work something out.

11. christides11

christides11

I love the idea, game looks great as it is.

12. Music-Vortex

Music-Vortex

Nice idea, I'd like to see what comes next!
    Keep it up!

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Glad you like it. Next up is the graphical update... very small sample in first post.

14. Seraphim

Seraphim

Looks and plays great, Johnny. Seems like you really have a hit on your hands, here.

Cheers!

15. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

I love the game and I can't wait until you release it.
    But I managed to glitch it. However I'm not able to reproduce it. Basically I just jumped down a platform and went straight into another. When I jumped I got out again. Heres a pic:

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks for the bug report. I will look into it.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Hi,

I think this game will look fantastic and draw a great retro crowd when it's done. I really love the puzzle element too!

18. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks hippo, I hope so :)

19. ncst

ncst

I like the game quite a bit, though I could see some levels where people might get stuck and give up early (like the first level where you need to use an obstacle to separate your characters, or the first level with the two keys, where you need to use the wall to keep one character from falling off the ledge). Sometimes I felt the jumps were very difficult to time correctly: if I had just another pixel or so of height, I think I could make it...

20. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks for the input, the jumps will be tweaked after the graphical update. I'll ask you to give some more input after that :)

Regarding the difficulty its tough and this is where I really appreciate the input. I need to teach people the separation mechanic, as its vital for many levels, but as you say it can be quite difficult. I'm thinking several more levels with the same mechanic, with each one progressively harder to "get lucky" on (i.e. less chance to solve by randomly jumping around).

I also need to do this without it getting boring!

21. ncst

ncst

I would agree it seems difficult. From my experience, once I figured out that they could be separated (in the first separation level), then after that I didn't feel overly frustrated. I wonder if you could give them a hint, if they try and fail a few times. Even a text based hint, or an arrow, pointing at the obstacle, might be enough in that level. In any case, I did like the game quite a bit!

22. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Just started integrating new graphics... this layout is pretty random, mainly just resizing everything, getting colliders right, etc.

Attached Files:

23. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

I couldn't get passed one of the early levels and gave up :( I tried like 30x and just couldn't figure the damn thing out.

24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Damn, I think its level 5 that is quite a bit harder than the others, it will definitely be moved around to be later in the game.

I might also add some in game dialogue/hints to help too.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope you aren't totally turned off.

25. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Really like this project , did you write your own sprite solution ?

26. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm using SM1 with a few custom updates.

27. Myhijim

Myhijim

Would you be willing to add a level editor?

That would fit quite nicely in the scheme of things

28. Daniko

Daniko

The idea is fun to play with. I got to the level with the fire enemy, but nothing happens after i finish it. Is that the end?

I like the idea of a character splitting their personality, then trying to find a mirror to become whole again.... both personalities have to see the mirror at the same time....:) Monsters would be evil spirits, negative thought creatures, and just plain old personality disorders....

On a more serious note,...I PM'd you about your adventure framework code....I have some questions....

29. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yes the fire enemy level is the end.

The updated graphics have the following enemies : Idea - A blue spark that distracts you, Ghost from the Past, Skull in a closet (well its almost a skeleton). It's meant to be a little more light-hearted than your suggestions, its more about being side tracked and distracted than personality disorders :)

And yes ... I got your PM.

30. virror

virror

Very nice! Found the starting levels very good, easy but instructing : )
    Looking forward to the graphical update ; )

31. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm glad people are liking it. Much of the graphics are done, but I'm focusing on another project (which is close to launch) for the next few weeks. After that Sorlo is next in line.

Stay tuned.

32. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

dude I like this and I like the graphics(The original ones) I see no need to change them... u really got something nice here.. maybe add enemies or something like that

33. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The original is fine from a playability point of view but I want to take it a bit further. The new graphics have some personality and tie in to the (very simple) story. There are enemies in the game already, and the new graphics also give these a little spice... Ghosts from the Past, Skulls in Closets and the Distracting Sparks of a New Idea.

There's also the potion mechanics, which enable you to effect the other screen for example freezing time, or causing the other Sorlo to float through the air. Not that this couldn't be included in the 8-bit graphics, but just wanted to mention it :)

$GhostOnOrange.PNG
    "wooooooooo"​

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  34. DaneC020

DaneC020

I think you really got something interesting/fun here. I rarely play these type of games but found myself compelled to go through 10 or so levels. I really like the original art style you had. I think it has something to do with the bright colors being more pleasing/less depressing on the player. The new palette is a little dark and might subconsciously turn players off after they can't figure out the level a few times. (Call me crazy, but just a thought :p)

I do like the new art design wise, I just think the color palettes need to be tweaked a bit. Give the wizard the vibrant blues the original had and maybe make the stone backdrop a little brighter.

This all being said, if you plan on having different moods for every level then ignore my statements :D.

-Dane

35. Storyteller

Storyteller

this is great. very solomon's key. great mechanic.

36. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

This project has awakened from its slumber... no new demo as yet, but I'm bumping it to get some more feedback :)

EDIT: Hmm seems the demo is down, maybe I moved the files... will update soon :s

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  37. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

38. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Messing with some alternative art styles (bit rough around the edges obviously). I really like this but it doesn't fit the characters... maybe pixels will stand out over painted ... hmmm ...

$Sorlo_Ideas.jpg

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

40. TheRaider

TheRaider

this is pure awesome.

However I fear it will become too difficult fast.

41. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yeah its easy to build hard levels, although not so sure that's a bad thing. I'm thinking the target audience is hardcore platforming fans and these guys probably like things to be hard.

42. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

I played until the second "breakthrough" level and it seems to play really well. I don't really like puzzle games myself, but the concept seems interesting and I'm sure a lot of people will find it fun. Keep it up :)

43. TheRaider

TheRaider

There is a balance to be had.

Currently it is easy enough a casual gamer could enjoy it, and you can solve them quick enough without giving up.

I always thought there is a place for hardcore stuff but it needs be in addition if you want a wide audience.

With your game if they get super stuck on one level that is end of playing. Maybe you need to have multiple levels unlocked in some way so you can skip ones that are too hard and go back?

44. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

played it. Really fun game so far. I like it its addicting. And its simple. Keep up the good work.

45. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Oh there will definitely be some kind of level select mechanic, and maybe some kind of skip mechanic too. Hmm monetization strategy anyone ...

actually works pretty well, skilled players can work through it without paying anything, but those who aren't so skilled can buy a skip pack (3 skips for a dollar or something).

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Dum de dah, still hoping for more comments :)

47. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Added a couple of new levels, N to skip straight to new levels if you have beat the others.

unityunity