Search Unity

Someone stole my iOs app, any defense against that?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Suduckgames, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Hi, my game in the Apple Store got ripped off and sold with a different name ( but it is the exact same game, with the same code, they just removed my logo from the app) , I already contacted apple to try to resolve the issue,

My question is, Is anyway to prevent this? in android you have ProGuard to make it difficult,

2. Johannski

Johannski

Hm, very interesting! Do you know how they did it? I thought it is quite hard to pull off. The company you linked to also has a (paid) version for iOS https://www.guardsquare.com/en/ixguard. Didn't use anything from them, so I can't really tell if that will help you.

3. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I will take a look, I have no idea how they do it however, I supposed that maybe with a iOs device ( with jail break)that can get the ipa, then reverse engineer and maybe a framework that inject their ads instead of mine, but just a supposition

4. User340

User340

I've never heard of that happening before on iOS. Do you think your computer got hacked and they stole the Unity project?

5. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

No, i don't think so, It seems like they stole the .IPA ( from apple store) and just removed my in-game logo and injected their ads solution,

They also coppied my game page ( including photos and description)

6. Johannski

Johannski

Could it be, that they somehow managed to log into your apple account? I did a bit of research and decompiling a downloaded app on iOS is quite hard / not worth doing if the app is not crazy popular.

7. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

I don't think so ( but you can never be 100% secure) anyways, I think that even if you enter in the apple account, you can't download your compilation

8. Johannski

Johannski

Oh yeah, you're right, I thought they might have a download button there. Wow, that really sucks! Did apple respond to your request?

9. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Still waiting for answer from apple