Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone just PLEASE explain cloud builds in plain english

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by neeboy, Mar 31, 2019.

1. neeboy

neeboy

I am using Unity to make an in-house iOS app for my company. I paid for the Pro subscription, read about Cloud Builds, and thought that would be a great fit for my situation, as I could see people changing their minds about features in my app frequently...

...and now that I've tried to follow the process, all I've got to say is KEEEE-RYPES. Could someone please explain the process a little more simply? I am NOT a programmer, I am an experienced AutoCAD/Inventor/3dsmax designer and CAD Manager, but this whole Cloud Build process seems to have been created by hardcore programmers, and I find that extremely overwhelming. Thanks!

2. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hey @neeboy,

Put simply, Cloud Build takes your project from your source code repository (Collaborate, Git, Mercurial, etc.) and builds it into an executable app (ipa file for iOS, apk file for Android, exe file for Windows, etc.) ready to share or download from the dashboard, essentially automating the process of building your Project from within the Editor.

There are a lot of different options for configuring different parts of the process, which I assume is what became overwhelming, but I would suggest configuring your repository within the Developer Dashboard to start with and running builds manually from the history page.

Please see here for further introduction to the service.

Hope that helps!

Deleted User and victorw like this.
  3. neeboy

neeboy

Great thanks very much for the response, much appreciated!

Deleted User likes this.