Search Unity

Someone from Unet please help... don't know where to turn.

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by shadiradio, Dec 13, 2016.

1. shadiradio

shadiradio

I am hoping to launch in January. I've set the toggle to "go live" months ago, with no response, and it still isn't switched to "live." I've submitted support tickets, and they aren't answered. I even emailed about buying premium support, and no answer there! I literally cannot give money to get help.

I've poured two and a half years, 24/7 work days, and all my finances into this passion project. Please, Unity. Please talk to us.

Has anyone else had their game switched to live? Did you have to enter the Konami code for it to happen, or sacrifice a small animal?

Skeledurr and MrLucid72 like this.
  2. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-hello-is-there-anybody-out-there-p.445978/ :p good luck mate. I have 1 month+ old tickets and unanswered Unity Answers - Anything non-networking related support answers me in like an hour, but UNET .... it's as if there's just 1 staff member and he's busy coding rather than on the forum. I'm not quite sure what to tell ya.

EDIT: Glad you got things working. Seems as if I give enough time and not request too many slots, I shouldn't be too worried about CCU - now my only concern is UNET docs and Q+A support.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  3. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

Seems that "You must have a Unity Plus/Pro license or subscription to use the Live mode of the service".

I am planning to implement Multiplayer to my Android game Push One Beer! and I don´t know wich are the best choice, using the old system or the new one (Unet).

But after trying to activate the Unet Services I saw the above message. I saw some time ago a unity team member message about people using the Personal edition, that they can contact him to go live, but I need to find it.

4. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

5. Skeledurr

Skeledurr

6. shadiradio

shadiradio

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a Pro account (I bought the annual v4 + v5 pro account way back before they switched subscription models). I don't quite remember what I estimated my bandwidth to be because it was so long ago, and you can't see the controls anymore since the request is permanently "pending" now. Even if it was under the CCU request, I never heard that either.

My experience with Unet has easily been the worst programming experience I've had in about 15 years of web & game dev - bugs, lacking documentation, and no communication. When I see multiplayer networking advertised on landing & feature pages, it really feels like false advertising. It's not just broken - every day it feels like Unet is a living, breathing, organic monster that eats developer dreams for sustenance.

I love everything else about Unity. I have some contacts in the Made With team, and also the Analytics team, and I hate to bug them about something unrelated to their job, but they're the only real humans that respond.

7. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

And they don't get you in contact with somebody of Unet team?

8. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Flipping people on goes through a manual vetting process. Don't know why your request fell through the cracks. PM me your project ID.

9. shadiradio

shadiradio

Thanks @richard-lee, I've been contacted by another support rep. :)

10. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

It was on the FAQ:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-multiplayer-launch-faq-march-2016.392474/

Why do I need a Pro License to “Go Live”?
    We are improving our backend system so that we can recognize users on a Personal edition license (free) who have a payment instrument (credit card) on file. Until then, we have to use Pro as a proxy, else we risk providing service with no ability to recover. If you are especially passionate and serious about going live with your game right now, and are on a free account, direct message me, and we’ll work something out.

11. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Ah okay; you're the LA studio. Yeah, you should have been setup yesterday.

For the benefit of others: Keep your CCU request reasonable when filling the Go Live report (1 CCU approx 100 Unique Users / mo). Else it looks suspicious.

12. shadiradio

shadiradio

@richard-lee Yes indeed. Just wanted to note that although the rep told me it was taken care of, the services page is still in the "thank you for requesting..." state on the Live tab.

On a related note - it seems hard to estimate CCU for an indie team. Of course, I would love for the CCU to be as high as possible, as that would most likely mean a successful game, but I really have no idea. Is it safe to assume that even with a low default CCU limit, if the players spike at launch, it will still be ok? As in, is there a scalable grace period to accommodate more users before formally raising the limit? Thanks!

MrLucid72 likes this.
  13. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Haha that's a great question! Same here. Sure we have x users signed up and y other users saying they'll join up, but as an indie dev, there's really no way to tell :) What would be ideal is, for the first few weeks, allow a temporarily high amount. The nightmare would be to have too little -- although that's sort of a GOOD nightmare if you have beyond expectations, but still ♫

That way, there's no risk to Unity because UNITY can decide how much CCU based on the average + growth scale during that time // then there's no risk to devs because we know we won't get too much or too little!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    shadiradio likes this.
unityunity