Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone at Unity, do you know what happened to Kinematica?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by chrisk, Oct 31, 2018.

1. one_one

one_one

If you mean animation rigging by that, it's... not exactly a rigging/bone weighting sytem. While I'm also a little sad about the lack of news/updates about this, I don't think animation rigging should be smack-talked, particularly because I think it's mostly a different dev team. That said, MxM is already out and pretty good.

2. Alverik

Alverik

No news yet? Really want to test a preview package already, haha....

3. mhernandez88

mhernandez88

Some of you need to stop with the FUD and the misinformation. Kinematica was not set aside for Animation Rigging. Kinematica is easily one of the more complex and exciting features to be released lately other than the new cinemachine and they more than liikely want it to be DOTS friendly from the get go. Kinematica's main work was built before DOTS began to reach a more stable ground. The only assumption that makes any sense at all, is that with everything changing so fast, kinematica is having a hard time finding a stable release point.

one_one likes this.
  4. camjayz

camjayz

Just from what I can see.. they're very much interested in making a big impact with Kinematica's release. Suspect it would drop sometime this year, 2020.2 or 2020.3, but for them to keep it alive this long and tease the release for 2 years, they're just wanting it to be perfected. Nothing wrong with that.

Alverik likes this.
  5. Alverik

Alverik

True, I'm just dying to try it out, haha.

6. one_one

one_one

Again, MxM follows a similar approach - though not machine learning based - and it's out already. It's also doing a pretty good job and is being actively maintained. So if you want to try out that technology, it's certainly a good place to start.

7. Gabriel_SG

Gabriel_SG

I would recommend MxM as well.. the dev is very active on his discord and maintains top notch video tutorials.
    I'm experimenting with Motion matching with a view to possibly use it for my project, not 100% sold yet but really excited about the tech. Like you, I got tired of waiting for kinematica and MxM is already in a somewhat usable state.

8. Alverik

Alverik

I live in a third world country and money is tight, haha... So, I''ll just have to wait.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    PalmGroveSoftware likes this.
  9. mgear

mgear

mentioned as "prerelease" in todays roadmap video,

upload_2020-3-25_19-56-34.png

AntonQvarfordt and Alverik like this.
  10. AntonQvarfordt

AntonQvarfordt

Your image seemed a bit wonked so uploaded a cropped version.

Attached Files:

mgear and Alverik like this.
  11. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Apparently there's a preview package out already. You can put this to your packages/manifest.json:

"com.unity.kinematica": "0.4.0-preview",

Docs can be found locally on your project folders package cache:

And it does seem to ship with bunch of simple samples:

hopeful, Alverik and mgear like this.
  12. DerekMcKinley

DerekMcKinley

Hello, where can I find this? What version of unity are you using?

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

If you are patient it will appear on package manager soonish I think. If you want it sooner it means altering your manifest file as he said above.

Alverik and DerekMcKinley like this.
  14. DerekMcKinley

DerekMcKinley

Hello, I am stuck with some errors when importing the preliminary kinematics examples, I have solved some on my own but these errors already exceed my little knowledge, I get more errors if I update dependencies like collections, jobs and burts.
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask about this.

Cannot play Kinematica asset on target Biped : Binary '........../Assets/StreamingAssets/KinematicaBinary_ba3871522913c8744a6ab0c114cf005d.bin' does not exist. Did you forget to buid the corresponding Kinematica asset, Assets/Samples/Kinematica/0.4.0-preview/Hello World/HelloWorld.asset ?
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    Unity.Kinematica.Kinematica:OnEnable() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview/Runtime/Kinematica.cs:178)

A Native Collection has not been disposed, resulting in a memory leak. Allocated from:
    Unity.Kinematica.MemoryChunk:Create(MemoryRequirements, Allocator) (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview\Runtime\Supplementary\Memory\MemoryChunk.cs:391)
    Unity.Kinematica.Kinematica:get_Synthesizer() (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview\Runtime\Kinematica.cs:119)
    Unity.Kinematica.Kinematica:CreatePlayableGraph() (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview\Runtime\Kinematica.cs:296)
    Unity.Kinematica.Kinematica:OnEnable() (at Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview\Runtime\Kinematica.cs:169)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  15. DeltaSixFive

DeltaSixFive

You need to build the database, click on the "Biped" Kinematica Asset then open the Builder and hit build. May take a few minutes but then it should work.

DerekMcKinley likes this.
  16. ina

ina

nice does anyone have any results from kinematica from the package preview?

17. chusmaverde

chusmaverde

18. chrisk

chrisk

Hmm. it's already May and there is no preview package as promised and no words on the delay.
    I don't have a good feeling about this package just like many others. 1.5 years of delay with no words. And a session without even making the preview package available??
    Please make the package available before the session so that we can ask intelligent questions, unless you don't want us to.
    I think we all deserve it waiting quietly all this time, no?

Thanks.

ps. I tried to download the package manually and it has bare minimum samples. I hope they improved since then.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  19. DerekMcKinley

DerekMcKinley

Hi, I can no longer download the kinematica examples, it appears disabled, when I change the manifest file I get all these errors and more, has something changed or was it removed?

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview\Runtime\SnapshotDebugger\Debugger.cs(10,31): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'PlayerLoop' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview\Runtime\SnapshotDebugger\DebugInfo\FrameDebugger.cs(2,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Mathematics' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview\Runtime\SnapshotDebugger\UpdateSystem.cs(1,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'LowLevel' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.4.0-preview\Runtime\SnapshotDebugger\ReadExtensions.cs(412,58): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'NativeList<>' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

20. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You don't need the manifest modification anymore. You need to enable preview packages and Kinematica 0.5.0-preview.1will show up in the Package Manager if you are above min supported version for Kinematica, which currently requires 2019.3 or newer.

Also, Kinematica Unite Now session here:

21. Alverik

Alverik

Thanks. Checked 0.4 a while back and it's looking nice, transitions look pretty good (code is more dots like, but looks manageable). Gonna check the video and the newer version soon (hurt my hands a few days ago so haven't used the PC much for a while).

Anyway, almost missed it. This Unite is pretty low key compared to the usual (but it's to be expected, haha..).

22. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

https://resources.unity.com/unitenow lists all past streams + lists few that are coming up next.

Alverik likes this.
  23. damian1994

damian1994

Hello everyone!
    I'd like to know if Unity is working to implement humanoids in Kinematica ... I'm trying to tweak the new Kinematica animation system but it doesn't work with humanoids, it just looks like bipedal ... Any response from Team Unity?

24. Thaina

Thaina

Currently kinematica still depend on collections 0.5. Which it has been 0.17 and it was changed NativeString to FixedString and cause error to import it in the project

25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

They are not.
    • In order to focus our efforts on delivering a high-quality and well-integrated suite of animation technology, Kinematica development will temporarily pause for 2021.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/animation-status-update-q4-2020.1023445/

unityunity