Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone at Unity, do you know what happened to Kinematica?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by chrisk, Oct 31, 2018.

1. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, Unity team,

I don't know where to ask this question as there is no forum or any post about Kinematica.

Kinematica, by far the best highlight from United Berlin and I was really excited to see it. It can be a game changer if it works as advertised.

I know Michael Buttener is the main guy and I have lots of respect for him that he can pull it off.

He promised some updates by the end of summer and trying to get Kinematica into our hand before the end of this year.

I was hoping to hear some update on it from United LA, yet there is no mention of it and not even a blog post.

I'm dying to know what's going on. First of all, is Michael still with Unity? If so, what's the reason for the such a dead-silence. I think we deserve some answers for waiting quitely for a few months. If someone at Unity sees this message, please pass the words to Michael.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

dadude123 likes this.
  2. NorthStar79

NorthStar79

yeah, I am dying to hear more about kinematica!
    Please someone inform us.

3. michaelbu

michaelbu

Unity Technologies

Hey guys,

thanks a lot for the flattering words and the excitement regarding Kinematica.

We're working hard towards a first release and I was certain that we'd be ready by the end of this year, but things progress a bit slower than expected. Mainly due to the fact that we want to provide a suite of tools that accompany the runtime.

We didn't want to show more demos without you being able to get your hands on Kinematica, which is why we didn't show anything at Unite LA. I know that you guys are eagerly waiting for the release and we're doing our best to deliver a package that ticks all the boxes, but it looks like it will require a couple more months before we reach this point. We'll certainly post updates as we get closer to that date.

Cheers,
    Michael.

4. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, Michael. With all of my respect, I know you will blow our minds again when it releases. And I'm also very glad that you are busy working on it. Sure, a couple of months delays is not a problem for a project can change the animation workflow forever. Yeah, please let us know once in a while so that you are well. Cheers! ^^

5. Milanis

Milanis

Thank you Michael for the update. It's amazing to read that this is not some intern red herring tech demo. While i fully support the idea of making the tools first and make sure it's sort of usable for the end user - it would be a nice move if not all and everything happens under the hood. When i first heard of it, we stopped working on our current character-animation pipeline - spending time working on other topics. Yes, it sounds that crazy but we decided to go that way because our current game-pitch approach is to make use of current and upcoming technologies that may redefine how way smaller game studios are creating their games. Kinematica, from what we heard and see could be a tool that gives us a new way how we let characters interact with the environment.

What we're looking for now are some informations on prequisites. Maybe it's possible to "leak" the one or another information (if they exist) regarding the following topics:

1. - What is Kinematica being capable of in its current state compared to an regular character controller solution?

2. - Is the final goal giving the end-user an alternative solution to current character controllers (like the new FPS Sample Project or the upcoming Third Person Character Controller) or even replacing these in the future?

2. - What does the end user like us need on both hard- and software side when we're going to get our hands on the first public tool sets?

2a. - Does is come with predefined motions libaries? It looks like most of the input comes from mocap-animations you're doing. With that in mind, will there be some sort of library with animations for subscription / per animation-take payment like seen on https://assetstore.unity.com/motion-library ?

2c. - Is this going to be an solution a smaller game studio without much ressources can actually use for a game pitch / game production? I really seek for an realistic answer here because at the moment, we don't have the budget for any mocap-studio / equipment during the pitch.

3. - Is it worth waiting a few more months and keep waiting instead of using an regular character controller solution?
    Yes, stupid question but i don't want to spend worktime on something that we probably won't need anymore then.

Thank you for all the great work your team is doing.
    We keep our fingers crossed and can't wait to read and see more from it.

Tobias

pcg likes this.
  6. SteveKouts

SteveKouts

Anyone come across any updates on this? This tech is super exciting.

7. chrisk

chrisk

Yeah, I very antsy also about the progress. I will appreciate if we can get some updates. I think it's about time since we waited from the Summer.

I'm too holding off some aspects of character animations until I know more about it. I believe Kinamatica will give us very nice locomotion and I think all we have to do is to layer upper-body animations on top of it.
    I think it will give us the best-looking/easiest-setup character system.

I may be wrong but I won't invest too much developing our own locomotion system but keep it a very basic until then.
    More info would be appreciated for the future planning.

Thanks.

8. christoph_r

christoph_r

As always with experimental/promised/scheduled unity features: It's generally not a good idea to plan your current production schedule around them.

That being said, I'd also be very happy about any updates.