Search Unity

some thoughts on roguelike and quest based story

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by hongwaixuexi, Jan 2, 2020.

1. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

I am still developing the FPS prototype driven by data. The video just shows some battle process.

I added some elements to the protottype. First element is roguelike. I am still learning it by playing this type of game, and I couldn't find tutorials on this.
    But roguelike reduce the work of balancing numbers. Because many numbers are generated randomly, and unbalancing let the gamer fell lucky or unlucky. I also don't need to fine-tune numbers.
    In this prototype, weapon parameters are randomly generated( color and quality). Enemies (and items or weather) are randomly spawned.
    I don't know how to randomly generated a complex city, so I use endless city instead.

I played witcher3 and borderland 2, and I think their story are told based on quest (main quest or side quest). So I want to develop a quest system for story telling. In current situation, roguelike has nothing to do with quest except some quest objective are randomly generated.

2. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

In this prototype, the enemies won't kill the player easily, but the boss (future design) can. Auto balancing sounds interesting. I don't know it either.

I don't know it. Do you have supportive articles about it?

3. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

I know your meaning. Thanks. The endless city is just one level, and the gamer will go to next different scene when quest is done. The quest objective is randomly generated, and the gamer can complete the task after exploring several cities (same look with random enemies) or more.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@hongwaixuexi Random world?

In the jrpg Evolution 2: Far off Promise, on the sega dreamcast, there is a dungeon in the town, that randomly changes the entire inside layout, of the dungeon, everytime you go into it.

Some people liked that dungeon, because it felt like a new adventure, anytime you went into it to find treasure, and battle monsters. But other people, found it too tiring and frustrating at times. But for me, it was good fun. Tiring sometimes, but good fun.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020