Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Some thing funky.

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Sync1B, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Sync1B

Sync1B

So I have animated this light to flash like the lights on a airplane wings. When I play it back it colors my object very crazyly. Even when the light is keyed black my object turns all kinds of colors. So out of curiosity I tried a diffuse shader (instead of the defualt bumpspec shader witch I was using) and my light animation worked how I thought it was suppose to. Here is the scene with 2 exact same prefabs with the only difference being one object uses bumpspec the other uses diffuse.

http://notics.net/bane4.html

This brought me to the first conclusion that some thing was funky with the shader but the bump spec shader has no problem with point lights. So then I thought it was an animation problem but didnt get why the animation worked with a diffuse shader and not with bumpspec.

Any one have any idea whats going on?

Thanks Bill

2. NCarter

NCarter

It looks right here, at least in the sense that there are no crazy colours (the ship is grey everywhere) and the flashing lights seem to work as I'd expect. This is on a Radeon 9600 XT.

Maybe there's something wrong with the shader's path for your graphics card.

3. Sync1B

Sync1B

Yeah I just tried it on a imac G5 and it did not do the odd coloration thing, however it still seemed to not light the object properly. They light animations are exactly the same but still, on the bumpspec shaded one the light seems to do some odd fade out, not blink, like it was animated to do. These lights are animated with the same animation, but still they seem to do different things, on the different shaders (for me) Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks Bill

4. NCarter

NCarter

Oh yeah, I see what you mean about the fading. I have no idea why it would be doing that.

It's difficult to see what the point lights are doing to the diffuse shader because they're so close to it. If you move them a bit further away, do you see fading there too?

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

No fading on the diffuse point lights, I dont really want to move them out because they really aren't suppose to be that noticeable just a small affect I thought would be cool. I have tried so many thing and do not get this at all.

Bill

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Have you tried just switching to the bumpmap shader on the spaceship?

7. Sync1B

Sync1B

I just updated it. One of the ships ships now uses a plain bump map the other uses diffuse. They both have the exact same animtaions. They are both identical besides the shader being used and still the bumped one acts differently to the lights then the diffuse one. The bump one on my G4 tower still does the crazy colors and on my powerbook does the odd fade that I described earlyer. What is going on!? This is really frustrating because it seems to simple. Animate a light from black to white turning it on and off and attach it to my ship and be done. This has to be a weird bug.

Thanks for the help
    Bill

8. Sync1B

Sync1B

I have tried about every thing short of scripting, I wanted to animate it because I thought it would be cool to test out some unity animations. After every thing I have tried it still does what the web player shows. I have tried it on different machines and depending on the machine I get two different problems. On some cards (older ones) the ship gets crazy colors, on newer cards the lights seem to fade in a odd way. On all the machines I have tried it the diffuse works as it seems it should, but the bump does not. Again both of these light animations are the IDENTICAL. Still very confused. Help?

Thanks Bill